Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rumor : new upgrade co-payment effective 01dec04

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wannabe
..if not, that the VIPs issued to those who qualify for 2004 activity from now on will be restricted to Y,B fares...
That's definitely not gonna' happen.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by richarddd
If it makes you feel any better, it's $342 after taxes. Not far from my $350 example.

Is an exit seat in coach that much worse for you than biz?
YMMV, but for me? YES. I don't fly coach to Europe-- never have, never will. Everyone's got different priorities, this one is mine. No coach. Ever.

Most of the time I'm flying on -A- class RTW tix (first class) and I can't go back to coach. I can't-- I won't!
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by WindFlyer
...almost there...
Yeah, but half a page was devoted to JonNYC smoking out a particular troublemaker yet again.

Considering that I had planned at least four international trips upgrades in the next two years, that's $2000 out of my pocket from this decision. $2000 gets me riled up.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:35 pm

I hoard my miles to upgrade on trans-Antlantic flights. If AA implements a $250/segment surcharge on upgrades, then why bother flying them exclusively? If I am going to be stuck in the back of the plane, I will book the cheapest ticket I can find.

Now I understand that AA can't "give away" Business class tickets for $350 and some miles, but adding $500 rt is way too much. I'd be willing to pay a $100 co-pay but no more, and that's if they reduce the mileage requirements.

This sucks. I want to see the details. I hope my final "free" upgrade to Zurich goes through for the 21st.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Yeah, but half a page was devoted to JonNYC smoking out a particular troublemaker yet again.
lol!

I bet we go on well past 10 pages-- even w/o my "padding."
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Spiff
Let's move on, please.
You mean like you do whenever the TSA is mentioned.

Thanks to the Mods for acting so promptly. It certainly explains the personal attack on JonNYC by a relative newbie, and why a non-AA flyer was so sanguine about the proposed changes yet so keen to give us his thoughts on them.

As I stated in my previous post if the charges aren’t applicable to VIPS then the changes won’t impact on me. In the ST it may even be a plus as there are less mileage upgraders competing with my VIPs. However, I’m still wondering ... are you doing AA?

50,000 + $500 + airfare vs 90,000 miles for transatlantic award? I’ll take the award.
If there is no award availability then row 31 please.
Surely mileage upgrades are useful for burning off some miles liability with a minimal incremental cost, particularly when coach is likely to be full anyway. I just don’t see people forking out $500 to use 50,000 miles.

For the transatlantic business travelers who used their miles to upgrade their family’s leisure trips BA, as I and others have stated, now appear to be better value. Are these customers you really want to alienate? If the justification is a new J class cabin then it’s going to have to be awfully nice.

IMO the only way this could work at all is if
1) No longer charge $50, $75 expedite fees for upgrades confirmed close to travel. This would at least remove the “AA is holding on to upgrade inventory so it can screw me for the expedite fee” feeling.
2) Have 2 tiers depending on fare paid e.g. $250 for deep discount fares and $150 for discount fares.
Frankly I’m not sure what the fees should be, even $300 + a “H” fare + 50,000 miles seems kinda pricey for a trip in J across the pond.

Anyway enough speculation. Let’s see what AA announces before getting really worked up.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
Is an exit seat in coach that much worse for you than biz?
Absolutely. I'm 6'4" with relatively short legs. That means I have a very long torso, and the seatback in Y is a killer for anything more than three hours because it digs into the wrong part of my back. And if I try to sleep, I'm always afraid that I'm going to smack my seatmate in the head with my elbow. Since most of my trips to Europe are for four or five days (often Thursday night - Tuesday afternoon), losing one whole night of sleep is a big deal.

I just can't do it any more unless I can get the seat next to me blocked. And since AA got rid of that nifty feature for elites, that's about it.

I'm sure if he was still here, FlyerTim would tell me to suck it up and pay for J. Well, my alternative would be to just find a different hobby, and AA would lose a lot of my domestic revenue because I wouldn't need leisure travel to maintain status any more.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Hello, United...

... Goodbye, AAmerican.....
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nonami
... Goodbye, AAmerican.....
Don't get too excited with United - call up and try booking a mileage award on LH for March. Not going to happen - LH has restricted awards to within a limited time frame (I think it's 90 days but I'm not sure).

Maybe I can't realistically upgrade on AA during low season any more, but at least I can spend my miles to fly CX and (if I don't mind connecting in YYZ) BA. Now if QF would open up some first class award seats on LAX-SYD...
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:56 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Originally Posted by 3ata
$250 will just about cover the cost of a Bose Noise Cancelling headset as well.
What else will $250 cover?

I have five roundtrips on AA this month - all are below $200 after taxes:

FLL-LAX-FLL $196, no Saturday stay required (three trips) 2342 miles each way
MIA-JFK-MIA - $168.70, No Saturday stay required 1190 miles each way
MIA-SJO-MIA - $184, not bad for Latin America 1117 miles each way

Competing with the discount carriers is killing AA, and they need to make up for it somehow. However, if this backlash takes away from transatlantic travel, what revenue stream do they have to fall back on - my $129+ fares to Costa Rica?

I'm not an economist or a CFO, but I don't know what is keeping the airlines in business. It seems like things will only get worse from here.

Sam
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
YMMV, but for me? YES. I don't fly coach to Europe-- never have, never will. Everyone's got different priorities, this one is mine. No coach. Ever.

Most of the time I'm flying on -A- class RTW tix (first class) and I can't go back to coach. I can't-- I won't!
Isn't A RTW paid first class? Little need for upgrade on these. How can you even manage to go back to biz?

I predict more award flights in my future. YMMV
Old Oct 5, 2004, 4:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good prediction! How near did you think the future was? (Wait until tomorrow, when the fair dinkum information comes out...)

Originally Posted by venk
If this happens, I predict a 10+ page thread in the near future.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
A couple of weeks ago, AA recinded a $10.00 fare hike for fuel ,because the average 1 or 2 times a year ticket buyer wouldnt pay the increase.
Now they decide to charge their best frequent flyers $500.00 to offset the loss of $10.00 ???
Old Oct 5, 2004, 4:05 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Last night (PDT) I had a (rare) look at the October Aadvantage newsletter (.pdf file) on AA.com - I was intrigued by the 10K mile QF "flat bed" bonus (upcoming RTW). This morning I tried to get back to the file and it won't come up - file not found, etc. I suspect that it's being wordsmithed as we speak so as to tell us how this move will improve AA and enhance our in-flight experience. Remember, they know why we fly...
Old Oct 5, 2004, 4:25 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Absolutely. I'm 6'4" with relatively short legs. That means I have a very long torso, and the seatback in Y is a killer for anything more than three hours because it digs into the wrong part of my back. And if I try to sleep, I'm always afraid that I'm going to smack my seatmate in the head with my elbow. Since most of my trips to Europe are for four or five days (often Thursday night - Tuesday afternoon), losing one whole night of sleep is a big deal.

I just can't do it any more unless I can get the seat next to me blocked. And since AA got rid of that nifty feature for elites, that's about it.

I'm sure if he was still here, FlyerTim would tell me to suck it up and pay for J. Well, my alternative would be to just find a different hobby, and AA would lose a lot of my domestic revenue because I wouldn't need leisure travel to maintain status any more.

I smell a status match coming from UA, (from a biased UA employee who hopes we don't match, just to regain an edge her in Chi town!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.