Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rumor : new upgrade co-payment effective 01dec04

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2004, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I know AA needs money but what a terrible thing to do. I sugest AA rethink this because if not it will lose it's loyal flyers and its main business international market. United is looking better everyday.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 5:58 pm

Old miles

Any word on if they will apply this fee to old miles used for upgrades under the old program????
Old Oct 5, 2004, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
This is fun! I could see new posts coming up by hitting refresh!
---------------------------------------

^ ^ ^

It is interesting to see how others view the world of flying and what is important to them.

Interesting mix of reactions and comments.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 6:04 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
I was so dumbstruck by this I couldn't even reply for a few hours..

I have been insanely loyal to AA for years. 99.9% of all my paid flights in the last 5 years have been with AA. Even if it was a few to a few hundred dollars more.. even if I had to make crazy connections to get where I needed to go.

This changes everything... I will not pay $500 to upgrade. Now I'll shop by price only
Old Oct 5, 2004, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EP
I just got the call....and quickly logged in...

Holly ****

That announcement tomorrow better start out with AA announce the introduction of flat beds on all 777/767 aircraft to be completed by Dec 1st 2004

Note to self: Manage VIPS very well in the future

and good question about miles that were grandfathered under the old program. Somehow, I doubt AA has even thought of these. But there are 2 schools of thought -- 1) they were grandfathering the miles required and the terms (ie, no cash payment needed) and as an example when they introduced 3 class on transcon, they didn't chgange the terms to "one class upgrade only" but 2) as we know, they have made these miles old subject to restrictions of availability so they could roll them in under this change. I have about 275K of the old miles, so I am interested in how these are dealt with....
Old Oct 5, 2004, 6:17 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Well, as long as there are no changes in the fares for eSWU use, I can live with an occasional fee for UPG'ing with mileage, though I haven't done that since early 2003. While I don't like this any more than you, all good things come to an end. Too bad it had to happen now.

I think it's definitely time to check out Virgin for international travels.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 6:26 pm

My prediction on the thinking of AA for future evolution of the program:

EXP status now worth a lot more (relatively speaking) with free domestic upgrades and now fee-free international upgrades. Once the dust settles here, we will make VIPs valid only on non-deep-discount fares. After the dust settles on that, the EXP status will be on points only and/or no 100% EQM for discounted fares.

At the same time, my feeling of the thinking of most FTers as they evolve:

#@$%, ok I will try to get to EXP to at least get the VIPs, &@%E# now I cannot even use the darn VIPs on my fares, $@%#& there is no chance in $@% I can make EXP now. Screw it. Enough traveling for a lifetime for me.

The biggest effect of this change may be that many will simply stop renewing their PLT/EXP "membership" with discretionary flying to top it up when their business travel isn't sufficient to make that level.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by askworldtraveler
Couldn't read through 10 pages....

yes it's 25,000 miles plus $250 each direction

Yes the $ are for discounted fares

Any ticket BOOKED OR WAIT LISTED prior to the start date will NOT pay

VIP's will continue to come out of the same inventory with expanded availablity

Better seats would sure be great!
Expanded availability???? Any more insights on this given that they are coming out of the same class of service?
Old Oct 5, 2004, 6:55 pm

Ebay

I am sure this is a blessing to folks that sell VIPs on Ebay.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
Still some time with no fee....

Plat desk just told me the fee won't take effect until Dec 1st...
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Dia
Question Hoping against hope...

Is it possible that the charge would apply only to non-elites upgrading with miles? Maybe? It seems like a less-suicidal thing for AA to do, since it would still give them a new revenue stream without crimping availability for elites.

And do they really have to do this the first year I'll be making PLT the hard way? It figures...
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Looks like the on-line edition of the Wall Street Journal has just posted a story on this. I don't subscribe, but if someone here does maybe they can take a quick look and see if there's some additional details there that might not be posted in this thread.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
Looks like the on-line edition of the Wall Street Journal has just posted a story on this. I don't subscribe, but if someone here does maybe they can take a quick look and see if there's some additional details there that might not be posted in this thread.
I bet they got their information from here!

BTW, Tom, are you referring to the article "How airlines resisted change for 25 years and lost"?

Last edited by JonNYC; Oct 5, 2004 at 7:30 pm
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Tom, I subscribe and just checked and did a search and did not see anything.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:33 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Today's (5 Oct) edition of the WSJ was like a primer in flyertalk topics - how the legacy carriers got stuck (front page); how small communities would still get service even if US goes away, even an article about non-"flat" bed seats in J and how everybody's griping about wedgies from the BA J seat (which I'll take any day of the year over WT+). Flyertalk got mentioned specifically in that one. I don't subscribe to the online edition either (why bother when the real thing turns up at 6 AM or 7 AM or...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.