Wiki Posts
Search

rumor : new upgrade co-payment effective 01dec04

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Tom, I subscribe and just checked and did a search and did not see anything.
See if the top link on this list will get you in:
AMR finance stories
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by JonNYC
BTW, Tom, are you referring to the article "How airlines resisted change for 25 years and lost"?
No, there's a new one just added tonight titled: American Airlines sets fee of $250 on certain upgrades.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
I am but a low Plat.

With plenty of other elites, and actual paying pax, above me in line to get into Bus, to insure I get there for a longer flight (Asia), I have just been looking at paying the bus fare to fly an AA codeshare on CX.

Of course, NOW, what airline I choose to be a paying bus pax customer for such a longer flight as Asia, and any future long flights, may surely change since it seems my miles will no longer be good for what I use them for - upgrades to Europe, where if they come thru, okay, if not, I have an emergency row or bulkhead seat with the middle seat blocked anyway.

AA - Why pay an extra $2,000 to be on your airline, or one of your partners, when the miles are becoming more and more worth d*ck?

So, has anyone ever flown NW Bus to Asia? For $2,000 less than AA, is it so terrible?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by venk
The biggest effect of this change may be that many will simply stop renewing their PLT/EXP "membership" with discretionary flying to top it up when their business travel isn't sufficient to make that level.
This is the part that amazes me. After 23 years of the program and all the data that comes with it, American still can't figure out basic consumer trip generation models. There is no way that the trip generation characteristics that make a midweek low season $400 + 50k J seat attractive to somebody also make an $1800 I class ticket attractive. They had better be planning to seriously cut J capacity, because otherwise this move as communicated as a blanket situation makes no sense.

If you want to charge a $250 fee for Friday-Sunday upgrades or even for all high season upgrades, I'm ok with that, but I'd give every elite passenger one freebie during 2005 as a peace offering. If you want to waive the $250 fee if you fly 4 Y/B domestic round-trips per quarter, that kind of makes sense. There's a specific business direction with those types of moves. But 20+ years of transportation planning experience tells me that not channelling your highest generating passengers into specifiic win-win scenarios to continue travel generation, well that's a suicide mission because you already have too much capacity as it is. And if you don't figure this out, somebody else is going to come along and figure it out and take your customers.

Hey everyone, don't forget to e-mail your support for AA's entry into China. Remember, AA needs us and we need to support our carrier as they have supported us...
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by tom911
See if the top link on this list will get you in:
AMR finance stories
I got to the page of your link. When I then clicked on the top story about this topic I got this error message:

The document you requested either no longer exists or is not currently available.

As a sanity check I cliked on the second story (unrelated to this) and got it fine. I think they are in the middle of setting up the hypelinks and the destination pages. I'll try later.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
No, there's a new one just added tonight titled: American Airlines sets fee of $250 on certain upgrades.
Yes, now I totally see it on the link you provided-- I'm quite curious to see what it contains.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:44 pm

This wouldn't be such a terrible announcement if AA's J service was on par with other carriers, but I find it to be a major ripoff to charge this fee for J service where a) the airline runs out of meal choices on every single full flight, b) the chance of getting rude FAs that disappear after meal service is about 50 percent, and c) the J seats are the most uncomfortable in the industry.

If AA provided a credible J product, alot of people would be willing to pay for it. Hopefully they are planning a major, sweeping overhaul of their J class seats, service, and food. If not, BA and Virgin are much better alternatives for those of us that travel overseas with any frequency.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by inlanikai
I got to the page of your link. When I then clicked on the top story about this topic I got this error message:

The document you requested either no longer exists or is not currently available...
Maybe they're waiting for it to pop up on AA.com (after being tipped off right here on FT.)

The more I think about this situation the more it stinks. UA's policy is so much more logical-- just "locking out" some of the lowest fare classes-- I certainly hope that AA will do some "listening" on this one and maybe entertain the idea of a happy medium.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:50 pm
J S

I'll buy 2 seats in United Economy+

I will use up my miles for free J tickets and, after they are gone, buy two or three coach seats in United E+. Except for the summer, I can get the second seat for less than $500 r/t. I won't be as comfortable as in J, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Frankly, if a mile is worth $.02 and the base economy ticket costs $350, a c-class seat on AA will cost $350+$500+50,000*.02=$1850. At that price, I can buy 5 seats across in coach. Pretty comfortable.

I have a choice of BA or AA (full fare J) to Europe when flying for work (most of the time). I fly AA only because of the ability to upgrade my leisure trips. That is the only thing I have ever used miles for (except 1 partner ticket). From here on out, it's BA with the miles going to Cathay. Pretty simple calculus, actually.

-J S
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:53 pm

Maybe they're waiting for it to pop up on AA.com (after being tipped off right here on FT.)

The more I think about this situation the more it stinks. UA's policy is so much more logical-- just "locking out" some of the lowest fare classes-- I certainly hope that AA will do some "listening" on this one and maybe entertain the idea of a happy medium.
AA's approach to everything is "their wAAy or the highway"
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:54 pm

I am Optmistic they will listen to you....

I certainly think that the continued optimism going forward should be beneficial. AMR has certainly shown a strong bias in the past towards the suggestions of this board...
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:56 pm

Just thinking out loud here with no expression of opinion one way or the other...why can't AA exempt elites from the new surcharge? They wouldn't raise as much revenue, but they'd at least raise some while not upsetting the die-hards.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA in CA
Play Misty for me..
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:58 pm
J S

Even die-hard loyalty dies

Originally Posted by jmiyazawa
why can't AA exempt elites from the new surcharge? They wouldn't raise as much revenue, but they'd at least raise some while not upsetting the die-hards.
Even die-hard loyalty dies if you try hard enough to kill it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.