Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rumor : new upgrade co-payment effective 01dec04

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2004, 8:49 am
Suspended

It is true...

A co-pay of $250 will be required to claim mileage Upgrade Awards used with most Discount and Deep Discount Economy fares when traveling between North America and Europe, Japan and Deep South America, effective December 1.

I'm not clear at this moment if the above is round-trip or each-way ( I was afraid to ask.) Additionally, I don't know applicability to VIP upgrades.

Also effective December 1 will be the discontinuance of the upgrade awards between Latin America and Europe.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Krep. Let the page count begin!
Old Oct 5, 2004, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm not clear at this moment if the above is round-trip or each-way
my bet would be $250 eAAch wAAy.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
That would be anybody's bet.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
No wAAy!!! Given that upgrade awards are one-way it only makes sense that this charge would be per segment. This really stinks!
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
A co-pay of $250 will be required to claim mileage Upgrade Awards used with most Discount and Deep Discount Economy fares when traveling between North America and Europe, Japan and Deep South America, effective December 1.

I'm not clear at this moment if the above is round-trip or each-way ( I was afraid to ask.) Additionally, I don't know applicability to VIP upgrades.

Also effective December 1 will be the discontinuance of the upgrade awards between Latin America and Europe.

Will this be on top of expedite fee if the upgrade is requested within 21 days?
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:09 am
LLZ

How many of us have extolled the virtues of AA being about the only carrier to allow "upgrades from any published fare?"

And, practically everyone that came in and said "Tell me why AA is so great," heard all about it.....how AA was soooo superior to CO and UA in this regard......

So, this is our thanks AA!!!!????
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:12 am
LLZ

So, are we talking about just G Q N S, or H K L W V fares as well?
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:14 am

[QUOTE=LLZ]How many of us have extolled the virtues of AA being about the only carrier to allow "upgrades from any published fare?"
QUOTE]

I was just saying this to my boss this morning who has been DL Plat for years and years. It's because of the upgrades from any fare that he just enrolled in the Gold Challenge and will steer more of his flying to AA.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Plat
So, if we wanna upgrade minus this AA enhancement, we have to upgrade before December 1?
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
This is going to result in LESS $$$ for AA from me. Instead of giving AA 50k miles to upgrade a $900 coach fare r/t to Europe, I'm now going to use those miles for the trip itself, and deny AA $900.

It's not like AA was losing Business seats to upgrades as opposed to paying customers -- they wouldn't release a seat unless they were sure they weren't going to be able to sell it... now J will surely be a little less crowded on many flights.

If many other people are like me, then these seems like a lose-lose situation for AA (in terms of goodwill/PR and $$$).

[Thought - could this be an indication of a new and improved J cabin? A J cabin which they think will pull in more full-fare flyers as opposed to upgrades? Just dreaming...]
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Plat
I switched to AA and ExPlat because of the 8+8 eVips and upgradeable discount fares (for miles and not dollars), but as soon as I switiched, the 8+8 was slashed to just 8. Now this, sorry folks for being such a jinx.
LLZ

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I was just saying this to my boss this morning who has been DL Plat for years and years. It's because of the upgrades from any fare that he just enrolled in the Gold Challenge and will steer more of his flying to AA.
And now AA's gone and made liars out of us....<<<------ya hear that AA!
Suspended

That would be anybody's bet.
This move hardly comes as a surprise - once AA moved to a 2-cabin lonhaul model, a restructuring of the intl. upgrade regime was inevitable.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by LLZ
And now AA's gone and made liars out of us....<<<------ya hear that AA!
Those bAAstards!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.