Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This archive contains older posts from the original Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (consolidated) thread. The current, active thread can be read here.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2.6MM, B6 Mosaic
Traveling companion w/out status - I don't want to upgrade

Apologies if it's already been asked/answered - no search parameters helped on this...

I'm traveling domestic Y with one of my employees who has no status. I made the reservation (same PNR) and requested sticker upgrades at the time of booking, not thinking that it might effect how my upgrade gets processed.

I don't necessarily want to use my stickers to upgrade him but would like to make sure mine happens if available. Do I need to phone AA and have them split the record? Will the upgrade(s) be processed for both of us based on my PLT status if I don't?

As always, thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:33 pm

You will have to call AA and split the reservation. Otherwise, stickers will be needed for both if the upgrade processes.

Originally Posted by BOSnomad
Apologies if it's already been asked/answered - no search parameters helped on this...

I'm traveling domestic Y with one of my employees who has no status. I made the reservation (same PNR) and requested sticker upgrades at the time of booking, not thinking that it might effect how my upgrade gets processed.

I don't necessarily want to use my stickers to upgrade him but would like to make sure mine happens if available. Do I need to phone AA and have them split the record? Will the upgrade(s) be processed for both of us based on my PLT status if I don't?

As always, thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BOSnomad
Do I need to phone AA and have them split the record? Will the upgrade(s) be processed for both of us based on my PLT status if I don't?
Yes. Although if you only have enough stickers in your account for one of you, presumably some AA agent will hit you up for extra at which time you can always decline the extra stickers for him (or have him pay), and then he will be dumped back into Y (although not necessarily a good Y seat).
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:42 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
As this is good info to have in the "sticker protocols" thread, I've merged it therein.

/Moderator
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
So to make it clear.
I have a upcoming flight for ORD-SFO.
It is very full.
I, an EXP, will travel with my wife who is PLT.
I have already requested for upgrade.
My wife does not have enough stickers, and I have stickers.
What should I do when I am NOT cleared in 24 hr mark.
Should I check in on line and request to add to the airport list?
What will happen if there is X class available between -24 to -3 hours of departure?

Thanks

yuchung5
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I've noticed that when you have a second person on the PNR, regardless of their status (in my case also an EXP), it quotes the number of upgrade stickers required. Apparently it does not factor the status of the 2nd pax at all, and shows the standard screen instead of 0.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:15 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
I've noticed that when you have a second person on the PNR, regardless of their status (in my case also an EXP), it quotes the number of upgrade stickers required. Apparently it does not factor the status of the 2nd pax at all, and shows the standard screen instead of 0.
It doesn't factor the status of the second person on this screen, but it does where it really matters- in the implementation. If the second person is EXP, no stickers are taken. If not EXP, stickers come from the account of the second passenger. I think this is only if the second person has status. If not, it may come from the first person, but I'm not sure.

So, this is only an effective typo on that page, but has no bearing on anything else.

Cheers.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, SPG Gold
Question, Im LT gold and my wife is Exc gold and earned some 500 mile upgrades that she has not been able to use. She will not be Exc gold after this year, what happens to the upgrades, and how long till it does?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by markme61
Question, Im LT gold and my wife is Exc gold and earned some 500 mile upgrades that she has not been able to use. She will not be Exc gold after this year, what happens to the upgrades, and how long till it does?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, markme61! I've extracted your post from the FAQ thread, which is reserved for discussion of the FAQ itself.

1) After she loses Gold status (there is no "Exc gold"), your wife will only be able to use her stickers when she is traveling on Y/B fares.

2) Your wife will lose status at the end of the current membership year, which ends 2/28/2011.

Please see also:
• What can I do with 500-mile upgrade / stickers I cannot use?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by dstan
1) After she loses Gold status (there is no "Exc gold"), your wife will only be able to use her stickers when she is traveling on Y/B fares.
Also note that the stickers do not expire, so if she ever qualifies for Gold again in the future, she'll be able to use the stickers then.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Also note that the stickers do not expire, so if she ever qualifies for Gold again in the future, she'll be able to use the stickers then.
Thanks, forgot to include that!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I could easily be wrong but it seems to me she can also use her stickers with no status if she upgrades by virtue of an elite companion.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by pjoalfa
I could easily be wrong but it seems to me she can also use her stickers with no status if she upgrades by virtue of an elite companion.
It's been posted here that non-elites are allowed to use their own stickers ONLY when traveling on Y/B fares.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
3 out of 5 AA employees wrong?

Background: flew three segments as a companion of an EXP with records linked. Upgrades were pulled from my account on only one leg. Leg 1 & 3 cleared before day of flight. Leg 2 cleared day of.

Asked at LAX AC about status of upgrade. She insisted the upgrades had to come from EXP's account. Checking account day after two of the three legs were pulled from EXP account. Called Plat number, agent one said yes upgrades come from EXP. Offered to pass me to EXP desk and agent two said yes ugrades come from EXP. Got passed to Customer service and agent said no, the upgrades should have come from my account and processed an adjustment to transfer upgrades from my account to EXP.

Sent an eMail to AA asking where I can refer AA staff to know the proper process. S/He confirmed the process is for the upgrades to be pulled from each elite's account. Also stated if I wanted the EXP's upgrades to come from my account we both need to bypass OLCI and speak with an agent at the airport. ??? Typical non-sequitur response (although correct, who would want to pay for a free benefit?).

I've replied asking them again if there was some place I can refer an agent when they insist I am wrong about this process. Anyone here happen to know? I've shocked several AA staff when I use to ask for the ADC code to be changed back when that was the way to do it. Spouting chapter and verse of AA training material should not be required, but I'd much prefer the process to work right the first time and not have to chase it down afterwards.

Last edited by RogerD408; Sep 4, 2010 at 8:42 pm Reason: corrected spelling error
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Also stated if I wanted the EXP's upgrades to come from my account we both need to bypass OLCI and speak with an agent at the airport. ??? Typical non-secular response (although correct, who would want to pay for a free benefit?).
Would you please clarify? I don't know what you mean by "typical non-secular response" nor do I understand, in the context of this discussion, the reference to paying for a free benefit?

Thanks, and sorry if I am being dim-witted about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.