Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FAs start peddling credit cards like US

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Nobody wrote or implied anything about defacing an airplane.
I did state that I would place stickers on seat-back advertising.

(I'm not sure that's defacing an airplane, just defacing defacement... )
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Is the US-branded credit card so undesirable (or the issuing bank so crappy) that the mileage signup bonuses aren't enough incentive for customers to apply for the card without the FAs hawking the cards to their captive audience? Citi has managed to issue an awful lot of AA-branded cards even without the offensive sales pitch by the "safety professionals."
Well, SOMEONE is signing up for them on the plane, or they wouldn't keep doing it. I have been on flights and seen people signing up (mostly kettles as frequent fliers either have the card or have status that renders most of the card benefits pointless), and I do know US FAs, including some who claim to double their salary with signup bonuses.

Personally I like my Fidelity 2% cash back card, but it's always tempting to earn more miles...
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
On one of my US flights yesterday, I was amused that the pitch was almost purely "fill out one of these forms and get 40,000 free miles toward award travel." They then gave examples of what you could get for 40,000 miles, and also emphasized the 500 mile in-flight signup bonus. They barely mentioned (if indeed they mentioned at all) that if you filled out the application you would also get a credit card.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Thank you for the reply, and I respect your opinion. I pride myself on being a good f/a and try to meet the needs of everyone on my flights, even when they're not so nice about it. If I'm on a 5 hour flight and have worked my tail off trying to make it a great experience for you and then take 10 minutes to do a quick announcement and walk thru then I'm sorry that negates the other 4:50 of great service. When I took this job I knew it wouldn't be all fun and games but I'm always up for a challenge and pride myself on being able to turn a negative situation into a positive one and a happy customer.
Did you know that maybe 1 in every 10 people even acknowledge us when we say Good Morning as they board? Most are yapping on their phones, can't hear us because their headphones are cranked up or just turn their head the opposite way and completely ignore us. Does it upset me? No, because I'm a professional. People yell at us because "we" lost their bags, they can't sit in the exit row with their arm in a cast, their family of 10 wasn't able to get seats together when they booked their getaway the day before and on and on. I always apologize and try to make it better. I buy people drinks when they feel they've been wronged or try to talk to them to resolve the situation. You say you'll treat me as a waitress because that's how I'm acting, but I will never belittle you or treat you badly because of the way you've approached me. Again, I completely appreciate your opinion and if I ever have you on.a flight I'd love to buy you a drink and chat.
Safe travels
Ok I'm going to try and respond without getting banned from FT or starting a flame war... I've worked in the airlines. I've been around the airlines for 35 years. I'm a very frequent flyer today. I am "sorry" that people ignore you, its not you, its human nature.

While you try to minimize it, you are grossly off on your analogy. The vast majority of flights are not 5 hours. In fact, for a random September, AA brand had 23,276 departures and 3,535,140 block minutes, which equates to an average of 151.8 minutes per departure. Since the vast majority of passengers are domestic, for that same random September week, AA operated domestically 19,887 departures and 2,627,265 block minutes, for an average of 132.1 minutes per departure.

So if you take "10 to 15 minutes" for every flight to make your pitch, you are actually impacting from 7.5% to 11.3% of the average domestic flight. But even that is misleading, as the block time includes an awful lot of time you can not be doing these pitches.

If you take out the fact that the first 10 minutes are taxi-out, 15 minutes climb and 15 mins descent and 5 minute taxi in, you have on average a cruise time of "just" 90 minutes on average domestically for you to pitch your credit card. So that "10 to 15 minutes" now is 11.1% to 16.7% of the flight. I'm sorry, but when you are taking up 1/6 of the average flight in the domestic United States to pitch your crap, there's a serious, serious problem.

ETA: I also get that your job isnt easy, but keep in mind that you are talking to people that travel just as much (if not more) than the average FA, works just as long as hours (if not longer) and also have our issues in our job. I'm sure you dont have a passenger call you at 930pm on a Friday night asking for information by Monday morning at 8, which will force you to work all weekend, after you've been out of the office on the road all week. Or get a call Sunday evening of a meeting Monday afternoon across the country. Everyone has "challenges" to their job. If someone doesnt like them, they are absolutely able to find new employment.

I personally wish that I could take half of my workday reading a book or socializing with coworkers like is the case for many flight attendants.

Last edited by imapilotaz; Sep 5, 2014 at 4:01 pm
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by imapilotaz

I personally wish that I could take half of my workday reading a book or socializing with coworkers like is the case for many flight attendants.
Hence the huge opportunity. Already paid for labor. Duty Free inflight sales has been around forever so selling stuff to pax is not new.

Technology will take this stuff to a new level.

It will also help align FAs and management if they are well compensated for their sales productivity.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by vasantn
What's wrong with that? It's a great initiative. I always put in a $20 bill in addition to any leftover foreign currency I might have. This is not remotely comparable to a sales pitch, and the FAs get nothing out of it.
It's still a solicitation. But that was what someone had asked earlier. Are certain announcement interruptions for solicitations better than others?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
It's still a solicitation. But that was what someone had asked earlier. Are certain announcement interruptions for solicitations better than others?
Absolutely.

"Would you like a bourbon and Coke? No charge..."
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Its tacky but represents the mentality of many executives today. Look at banking, once a very honored profession now more like slick and dishonest used car salesman. C Level people think that consumers want to hear about all this crap. I feel for the FAs. I doubt many of them desire to be a flying telephone solicitor. Its just not a Doug Parker/US thing.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I have a compromise:

FAs may solicit me while I'm trying to relax or work during the flight as long as I can have 15 minutes of your time after we land and you're off the clock, so that I can tell you about all the wonderful things that Amway and Jehovah's Witnesses have done in my life.... Deal ?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I have a compromise:

FAs may solicit me while I'm trying to relax or work during the flight as long as I can have 15 minutes of your time after we land and you're off the clock, so that I can tell you about all the wonderful things that Amway and Jehovah's Witnesses have done in my life.... Deal ?
Good lord. Just tell them you're not interested if they try to do an individual sales pitch. If it's over the PA system, just ignore it.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
O/T, but the answer is yes. WiFi is here to stay, as are in-seat power ports. With regard to AVOD, the new 2 cabin A321s, the A319s, and all newly-delivered 738s have comprehensive offerings.
Dougie ripped IFE off all the US narrowbodies other than 757s.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Oy. So much rich material here. On both sides of the question.

Originally Posted by lobo411
The very first thing I've done at every job I've had since then, where there was a union, was to sign up.
Did you have a choice? Even if you're not required to join the union, you have to pay the dues anyway, and you get the benefit of whatever the union negotiates, no?

For those of you that think defacing the airplane or making condescending comments to the crew will make you feel better why don't you take a minute and think why they might need that little bit of extra income.
Doesn't matter why you need extra income. Defacing an airplane or making inappropriate comments are both rude. To those posters who feel that the credit card pitches are low class or tacky, you're going to respond by lowering yourself to that level?

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
So if you're going to participate in the swap meet experience, don't be surprised when some of us return the same level of "professionalism".
See above. When confronted with inappropriate or boorish behavior, do you respond in kind? Wouldn't a more effective way to raise things above that level be to behave according to your own, presumably higher, standards, regardless of how others act?

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Amen to that. If FA's want to be treated as a "professional", then dont hawk your crap like a swap meet. As other's have said, you just lost the ability to claim you are here primarily for my safety. If you were, shut the heck up and stop waiving the applications in my face when you walk by.
And if the airline(s) require(s) it of the FAs? They should risk termination because you find it intrusive?

Did you know that maybe 1 in every 10 people even acknowledge us when we say Good Morning as they board? Most are yapping on their phones, can't hear us because their headphones are cranked up or just turn their head the opposite way and completely ignore us. Does it upset me? No, because I'm a professional.
Yes, but this works both ways. I've boarded plenty of flights where the FAs are standing in the galley chatting among themselves, or one is standing near the door squeezing in a perfunctory Hello in between comments into the conversation with the other FAs.

You say you'll treat me as a waitress because that's how I'm acting, but I will never belittle you or treat you badly because of the way you've approached me.
Exactly the point I was making a couple of paragraphs back. Good on you for not lowering yourself to the level of others' rude behavior and for maintaining your dignity, grace and manners in the face of obvious assaults on them.

Here's some actual data to show why the typical US Airways FA might "need" the extra income from pushing credit card apps ... Why are the US FAs living in relative poverty compared to AA's FAs?
Who cares? This is irrelevant. No one forced anyone to work at US.

Their bargaining agent sat around and waited and waited and waited for the US pilots to negotiate their pay raises first. Finally, in early 2013, after waiting years and years, the FAs went it alone and negotiated modest pay raises.

In 2012, the US FAs had lower average wages than even non-union jetBlue FAs (similar to the cost advantage the pilots gave Parker).
None of this is (or should be) my problem as a customer.

No wonder they have to rely on credit card sales pitches. Their employer thinks so little of them that he refuses to pay them major airline wages.
Again, not the customer's problem. If employees feel that they are being paid a substandard wage, they're in the wrong career or working for the wrong employer. And please don't respond with they don't have a choice. Sure they do. Lots of people are employed at jobs other than as FAs at US.

Me? I'd prefer that the FAs negotiate their pay with their employer ...
... and get rid of the unions. At least at AA, IMO APFA is most of the problem. IME nearly all FAs are nice people who want to provide excellent service but who have been deceived, misled and prevented from doing so by APFA. Take F cabin turndown service. When AA introduced it, APFA filed a grievance over the additional 45 seconds it takes to provide that service to a passenger.

Originally Posted by Spiff
I did state that I would place stickers on seat-back advertising.

(I'm not sure that's defacing an airplane, just defacing defacement... )
Joking aside, it is defacing a plane. It's the airline's right to put the stickers on aircraft it owns (or leases). It's not your right to decide that it shouldn't have done that and put your own stickers on. If someone has a bumper sticker on his/her car which you don't like, is it OK for you to put your own over it? It's your right to choose another airline if it bothers you sufficiently.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:08 pm

AA FAs to start peddling credit cards like US?

Wow, I apologize if I upset anyone or misrepresented what I was trying to say. I do mostly west coast flying so that's where I got my 5 hour reference and as I said before I don't do it on the very short flights and would never do it if it was going to compromise other duties. I also apologize if I sounded like I was complaining about my job. I still love my job after all these years and still enjoy coming to work, if I didn't I would have quit many years ago. I'm going to stop posting on this thread, but again I'm truly sorry if I said the wrong thing. Wishing everyone safe travels.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm truly sorry if I said the wrong thing.
You didn't. Based on what you've posted so far, I'd say that AA needs more like you.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Joking aside, it is defacing a plane. It's the airline's right to put the stickers on aircraft it owns (or leases). It's not your right to decide that it shouldn't have done that and put your own stickers on. If someone has a bumper sticker on his/her car which you don't like, is it OK for you to put your own over it? It's your right to choose another airline if it bothers you sufficiently.
Bummer. File it under "M" for Mischief.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.