AA FAs start peddling credit cards like US

Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by CMK10
UA and DL do it on flights with IFE through the IFE, the f/as do not participate.
I would have no problem with this. But do you think IFE will even exist much longer on Air Dougie?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by TXguy
I would have no problem with this. But do you think IFE will even exist much longer on Air Dougie?
O/T, but the answer is yes. WiFi is here to stay, as are in-seat power ports. With regard to AVOD, the new 2 cabin A321s, the A319s, and all newly-delivered 738s have comprehensive offerings.

However, I don't think anybody's going to be happy about the credit card hawking (except the successful F/As). As with the new meals, the best solution is to either switch carriers or to complain via both social media (Twitter and Facebook) and by writing Customer Relations.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Ive had several jobs in the past (distant now) that had incentives or kickbacks for doing things. I for one would rather forgo extra income than compromise on what I feel is tacky or unprofessional.
And for those FAs who feel this way, they'll have the option of not participating. It's an optional program for US FAs, but most choose to participate due to the cash incentives, including $10,000+ bonuses for top performers.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by imapilotaz

I'm hoping that AA FA's will take the "eh" approach and quickly mention it without doing the US FA's way of going by every single seat and asking if you want an application. I dont mind the announcement, with noise cancelling headphones, just turn up the music... but its really annoying having the FA wave the application in your face as they ask you if you want one.
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I am sure the AA FA's will push the cards the same way the US FA's do. Why? Incentives. And really why would they not?
Not sure if it is AA however i believe one airline is going to be using the tablets the purser has to personalize the pitch -- i.e. -- if you don't belong to the lounge, emphasize free lounge passes; if you are non-elite, focus on free first bag; if you already have a card, sell the upgrade card. From what I heard was the goal was to go paper free - all done electronically.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Definitely time to plug in the noise canceling Bose and tune out the sales pitch.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Is this any worse than the duty free sales? Not to me. Yes, I get the unnecessary PA announcement when you're trying to sleep. Annoying. But beyond that, I just don't see this as a major issue. Ignore it, just as one might do with the duty-free cart.
Or on intl flights when AA FAs come through the cabin wanting you to dump your spare currency into a bag for charity. Can't people just ignore the sales pitch like they do during the pre-flight safety briefing? OR how about on Air Canada where every video selection on your AVOD is preceded with lengthy commercials?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:51 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by skunker
AS does this and actually gives bonus sign-up miles if you turn it in before you land.
So did US Airways on my last flight with them.... 500 miles
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Noticed this first when I started flying a handful of US flights while they were still in Star Alliance. It seems the regional carriers are much less obnoxious about it, mentioning something about earning miles for the trip, bonus miles, blah blah.

On US mainline this past summer from PHX to SAN it was the worst I had ever seen. My morning flight was cancelled, eventually ended up after a misconnect on the last flight of the day so arriving in SAN at midnight I had to hear what seemed like easily a good 10 minute spiel about a special offer only available onboard, made it sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread. Earn loads of miles to go to all sorts of exciting destinations on the combined network, limited time only available onboard so don't delay!

Although a few weeks before that I flew EWR-PHX and don't remember the credit card pitch. Or maybe it just seems so much more obnoxious when you are exhausted at midnight.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Is this any worse than the duty free sales? Not to me. Yes, I get the unnecessary PA announcement when you're trying to sleep. Annoying. But beyond that, I just don't see this as a major issue. Ignore it, just as one might do with the duty-free cart.
Originally Posted by Spiff
Yes, it is. It's low-class.
So your opinion about onboard sales apparently depends on what they're selling. It's OK to sell some things (e.g., duty-free) but not others (e.g., credit cards). Now there's a slippery slope problem if ever I saw one. Who's the arbiter of what's appropriate and what's not? What offends some won't offend others.

And how long does the sales pitch last? Assume the maximum, -- a general announcement plus an individual ask to each passenger. The general announcement will be under 15 seconds, I'm fairly certain. (15 seconds sounds so short, but count it out. It's actually fairly long.) The individual ask? 5-10 seconds. Say a maximum of 30 seconds total. Out of an average flight length of, what, 2 hours?

People won't stop flying AA because of this. I predict that you won't, either. People make flight decisions for a number of different reasons, -- schedule, fare, membership in FFP, etc. We read so often on FT posts that the OP will never fly airline XX again. Of course as soon as they need to go somewhere where XX has the best fare or schedule, that threat is out the window.

I predict that if this credit card sales thing does happen, it won't reduce the loads at all.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I wonder how many bonus miles they offer onboard? 500 mi from US -- got to be kidding!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:39 pm

AA FAs to start peddling credit cards like US?

40,000 with sign up and an extra 500 for applying inflight. Not sure what the normal sign up is from the folks on the ground or the website.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
40,000 with sign up and an extra 500 for applying inflight. Not sure what the normal sign up is from the folks on the ground or the website.
Hi GW - several questions - if you care to answer --

-will you be doing it via your tablets, paper applications or both?
- how much do you get per sign-up
- is it split between the FAs or just the person who signs up?
- how is it determined who gets to sell?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
Approximately 3 years ago my business class meal DFW/FRA came with a business card advertising the new citibank world elite master card. I guess not the same as the FA's actively hawking them.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Just wait US will probably put the tray table ads on AA planes
Some of the Chinese airlines actually have ads on the seat backs. They are usually sticky paste-ons. Have seen them for a variety of products. The new AA might try that out.

I do find the CC ads to be a pain, because I already have the US and AA cards.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
It's getting harder and harder to buy the FA's "We are not waitresses, we are professional flight attendants, here primarily for your safety" when they are peddling credit card apps.

What's next ? Time-share sales inflight ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.