AA FAs start peddling credit cards like US

Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
For those of you that think defacing the airplane or making condescending comments to the crew will make you feel better why don't you take a minute and think why they might need that little bit of extra income.
Nobody wrote or implied anything about defacing an airplane.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by LMB01
I also don't care for the "we have a really exciting offer" and the implied "limited time" or "for this flight only" comments.

Also, on my last US flight, the FAs used a cart to use in passing out the applications. They pushed it down the aisle and had a little sign they put up.
deleted

Last edited by george 3; Sep 5, 2014 at 11:22 am
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
Time squandered peddling credit card applications is time not spent on customer service.
+100 - best comment in this thread.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Or on intl flights when AA FAs come through the cabin wanting you to dump your spare currency into a bag for charity. Can't people just ignore the sales pitch like they do during the pre-flight safety briefing? OR how about on Air Canada where every video selection on your AVOD is preceded with lengthy commercials?
The spare change for UNICEF on international flights is a good thing and very different.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Or on intl flights when AA FAs come through the cabin wanting you to dump your spare currency into a bag for charity.
What's wrong with that? It's a great initiative. I always put in a $20 bill in addition to any leftover foreign currency I might have. This is not remotely comparable to a sales pitch, and the FAs get nothing out of it.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by lobo411
I still remember that the employee guide said "here at Mervyns, we're just one Big Happy Family. We don't need outside groups coming in and messing up our Big Happy Family, now do we?"
You do know that Mervyns went out of business. Bankrupt.

As for credit card offers while on the plane, I plan to just say "No thank you" politely.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
For those of you that think ... making condescending comments to the crew will make you feel better why don't you take a minute and think why they might need that little bit of extra income.
I suppose that was directed at me, so I'll respond. I'm sympathetic with your personal circumstances, and understand why soliciting the passengers would be attractive to you as a source of additional revenue. But from the passenger perspective, the consensus seems to be that we'd rather not be solicited, as it is disruptive (and lowers the professionalism of your career to a carnival barker / swap meet worker).

So if you're going to participate in the swap meet experience, don't be surprised when some of us return the same level of "professionalism".
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I suppose that was directed at me, so I'll respond. I'm sympathetic with your personal circumstances, and understand why soliciting the passengers would be attractive to you as a source of additional revenue. But from the passenger perspective, the consensus seems to be that we'd rather not be solicited, as it is disruptive (and lowers the professionalism of your career to a carnival barker / swap meet worker).

So if you're going to participate in the swap meet experience, don't be surprised when some of us return the same level of "professionalism".
Amen to that. If FA's want to be treated as a "professional", then dont hawk your crap like a swap meet. As other's have said, you just lost the ability to claim you are here primarily for my safety. If you were, shut the heck up and stop waiving the applications in my face when you walk by.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I think of it as being misleading, if not an outright scam, for the airlines to spend so much time reading out all the perks and never make any mention of the annual fee (particularly on the airline cards that don't waive the fee the first year). It is low-brow when they make a "fan" out of the brochures and hold it next to their face as they say goodbye when you exit.

It's an easy opportunity to steal an ID, but on my last US flight I decided that the ID of a woman earning only $43K at Barnes & Noble wasn't worth stealing.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:30 pm

[QUOTE=cynicAAl;23480435]
For those of you that think ... making condescending comments to the crew will make you feel better why don't you take a minute and think why they might need that little bit of extra income.

So if you're going to participate in the swap meet experience, don't be surprised when some of us return the same level of "professionalism".[/QUOTE

Thank you for the reply, and I respect your opinion. I pride myself on being a good f/a and try to meet the needs of everyone on my flights, even when they're not so nice about it. If I'm on a 5 hour flight and have worked my tail off trying to make it a great experience for you and then take 10 minutes to do a quick announcement and walk thru then I'm sorry that negates the other 4:50 of great service. When I took this job I knew it wouldn't be all fun and games but I'm always up for a challenge and pride myself on being able to turn a negative situation into a positive one and a happy customer.
Did you know that maybe 1 in every 10 people even acknowledge us when we say Good Morning as they board? Most are yapping on their phones, can't hear us because their headphones are cranked up or just turn their head the opposite way and completely ignore us. Does it upset me? No, because I'm a professional. People yell at us because "we" lost their bags, they can't sit in the exit row with their arm in a cast, their family of 10 wasn't able to get seats together when they booked their getaway the day before and on and on. I always apologize and try to make it better. I buy people drinks when they feel they've been wronged or try to talk to them to resolve the situation. You say you'll treat me as a waitress because that's how I'm acting, but I will never belittle you or treat you badly because of the way you've approached me. Again, I completely appreciate your opinion and if I ever have you on.a flight I'd love to buy you a drink and chat.
Safe travels
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's some actual data to show why the typical US Airways FA might "need" the extra income from pushing credit card apps:

In 2012, the average US Airways FA had W-2 wages of $37,363 while the average AA FA had W-2 wages of $51,383. The average AA FA had wages that were $14,000 more (that's 38% higher) than their counterparts at US. Those are W-2 wages, not including benefits.

Similar story in 2013 even after the US FAs ratified their first post-bankruptcy raise in early 2013: The average wage for the US FAs was $40,809 compared to $51,628 under the post-bankruptcy AA FA contract.

Why are the US FAs living in relative poverty compared to AA's FAs? Their bargaining agent sat around and waited and waited and waited for the US pilots to negotiate their pay raises first. Finally, in early 2013, after waiting years and years, the FAs went it alone and negotiated modest pay raises.

In 2012, the US FAs had lower average wages than even non-union jetBlue FAs (similar to the cost advantage the pilots gave Parker).

No wonder they have to rely on credit card sales pitches. Their employer thinks so little of them that he refuses to pay them major airline wages.

Me? I'd prefer that the FAs negotiate their pay with their employer and not rely on hard-sell techniques in the cabin to supplement their sub-standard wages.

We're ordered to obey the cabin crew's instructions on pain of potential arrest and imprisonment. Does that mean I have to listen or pay attention when they come to my seat to solicit me for a credit card app?

If you need extra income, why not simply pick up more trips and work more? Every airline has FAs who don't really want to fly - they just want to bid nice trips so they can sell/trade them to more junior FAs. Instead of flying 75 hours a month - fly 120.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Here's some actual data to show why the typical US Airways FA might "need" the extra income from pushing credit card apps:

In 2012, the average US Airways FA had W-2 wages of $37,363 while the average AA FA had W-2 wages of $51,383.
That average includes the super senior FAs who have been there for years and are at the top of the pay scale. Consider a first year FA barely scraping by with ~$20,000 and they might need the credit card apps just to pay rent.

As a passenger I do not like getting credit card solicitations on the plane. It's mildly annoying. But as an observer of the broader consumer culture we live in, I don't find it that out of place. About the only type retail store that I can shop in without getting solicited for a credit card application is the grocery store (they can't be that far behind can they?).

Flying is no longer an exception or a special experience. American consumers have shown repeatedly that they are willing to put up with almost anything to save $5 on a plane ticket. This is not the Flight Attendants' fault!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wetrat0
About the only type retail store that I can shop in without getting solicited for a credit card application is the grocery store (they can't be that far behind can they?).
My Ralph's receipts (owned by Kroger) each contain a credit card solicitation at the bottom of the receipt along with a new-card bonus. Expect your store to get with it soon.

When AA offered ticket jackets for boarding passes and checked bag receipts, the back of the jacket often contained an ad for the Citibank AAdvantage card. Never a low-brow personal sales pitch.

Is the US-branded credit card so undesirable (or the issuing bank so crappy) that the mileage signup bonuses aren't enough incentive for customers to apply for the card without the FAs hawking the cards to their captive audience? Citi has managed to issue an awful lot of AA-branded cards even without the offensive sales pitch by the "safety professionals."
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Thank you for the reply, and I respect your opinion. I pride myself on being a good f/a and try to meet the needs of everyone on my flights, even when they're not so nice about it. If I'm on a 5 hour flight and have worked my tail off trying to make it a great experience for you and then take 10 minutes to do a quick announcement and walk thru then I'm sorry that negates the other 4:50 of great service. When I took this job I knew it wouldn't be all fun and games but I'm always up for a challenge and pride myself on being able to turn a negative situation into a positive one and a happy customer.
Did you know that maybe 1 in every 10 people even acknowledge us when we say Good Morning as they board? Most are yapping on their phones, can't hear us because their headphones are cranked up or just turn their head the opposite way and completely ignore us. Does it upset me? No, because I'm a professional. People yell at us because "we" lost their bags, they can't sit in the exit row with their arm in a cast, their family of 10 wasn't able to get seats together when they booked their getaway the day before and on and on. I always apologize and try to make it better. I buy people drinks when they feel they've been wronged or try to talk to them to resolve the situation. You say you'll treat me as a waitress because that's how I'm acting, but I will never belittle you or treat you badly because of the way you've approached me. Again, I completely appreciate your opinion and if I ever have you on.a flight I'd love to buy you a drink and chat.
Safe travels
Thanks for that, and I do appreciate the fact that your career is far more challenging than I could ever tolerate, dealing with annoying people. As you well know, being a FA is the most glamorous job out there, so I see why it's attractive to you ()

I'm not one of those people who thinks you're a waitress, and I'm one of the few who actually take off my headphones to speak or answer your question or just thank you. My point about the waitress comment was that soliciting your customers is beneath the dignity of your profession, in my opinion.

Many of us here are not infrequent fliers, and are often on planes for several segments every week. We know your safety instructions and procedures by heart. Some of us log more miles than you do. At best, the solicitation is a distraction when we're just trying to catch up on work or rest. At worst, it's another annoying thing that we'll have to endure on every.single.flight. The annoyance is not so much directed at you, but at your management that has so little disregard for their customers that they think the minimal revenue from Citi/Chase/CapitalOne is worth it. Another example of profits over the customer experience.

Or, to put it another way, there's a reason that the sales associate at Nordstrom doesn't try to cross-sell you a credit card or a timeshare condo.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Sell your current customers --

-- I think we will see FAs take a very sales focused role in the 5-10 years as technology and tablets enable the airlines to know more about you and then use the time they have onboard to interact even more with you.

Take a look at how banks hawk a multitude of products to you. Credit cards will just be the first thing.

I can see FAs in the future with your info and their PDAs selling

- future upgrades
- bonus mileage
- stuff from Amazon delivered to you the day you arrive in your destination
- bonus meals, booze and onboard upgrades for buying stuff

The airplane ride of the future will make time share marketing seem like kindergarten. Consumers locked in a room (oops, airplane) for 2-15 hours.

The difference is going to be it will be less PA announcements and more 1-to-1 --- after all, the FAs will have a tablet loaded with prospects ranked by viability.

On the +++ side -- you will be able to probably register "Do Not Solicit"

Just peering into the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.