Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FAs start peddling credit cards like US

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
So your opinion about onboard sales apparently depends on what they're selling. It's OK to sell some things (e.g., duty-free) but not others (e.g., credit cards). Now there's a slippery slope problem if ever I saw one. Who's the arbiter of what's appropriate and what's not? What offends some won't offend others.

And how long does the sales pitch last? Assume the maximum, -- a general announcement plus an individual ask to each passenger. The general announcement will be under 15 seconds, I'm fairly certain. (15 seconds sounds so short, but count it out. It's actually fairly long.) The individual ask? 5-10 seconds. Say a maximum of 30 seconds total. Out of an average flight length of, what, 2½ hours?

People won't stop flying AA because of this. I predict that you won't, either. People make flight decisions for a number of different reasons, -- schedule, fare, membership in FFP, etc. We read so often on FT posts that the OP will never fly airline XX again. Of course as soon as they need to go somewhere where XX has the best fare or schedule, that threat is out the window.

I predict that if this credit card sales thing does happen, it won't reduce the loads at all.
I never said I'd stop flying if AA started a low-rent hawking of credit cards. (Though I will be over-stickering any seat-back advertisements in front of me... Mr. Zog's

Yes, duty free is acceptable, selling alcohol is repugnant (should all be free and high quality), and hawking credit cards is tacky and low-class. It's not why I fly. Speaking of slippery slopes, how about the opposite direction? Time-share pitches? (Talk about a captive audience!) AAirpass? Aeropr0n? Why stop at being tacky?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by mialink
Approximately 3 years ago my business class meal DFW/FRA came with a business card advertising the new citibank world elite master card. I guess not the same as the FA's actively hawking them.
Yes. But they were put on a tray that had a linen cloth over it. That makes it classier. And OK.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Spiff
Yes, duty free is acceptable, selling alcohol is repugnant (should all be free and high quality), and hawking credit cards is tacky and low-class. It's not why I fly. Speaking of slippery slopes, how about the opposite direction? Time-share pitches? (Talk about a captive audience!) AAirpass? Aeropr0n? Why stop at being tacky?
Exactly, the slippery slope. I used to fly FD from time to time. (I use PG now on those routes because FD flies in/out of DMK, whereas PG flies in/out of BKK, -- much more convenient for me with regard to ground transportation options.) Anyway, FD has huge red and white stickers on the overhead bin doors advertising itself. Tacky? Probably. Does it matter to me? Not one bit. Why wouldn't they try to maximize the benefit they get from their assets? In this case, if AA can derive some additional revenue, why wouldn't they? I would imagine that that's what the shareholders, i.e., the people who actually own AA, expect.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:44 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Not sure if it is AA however i believe one airline is going to be using the tablets the purser has to personalize the pitch -- i.e. -- if you don't belong to the lounge, emphasize free lounge passes; if you are non-elite, focus on free first bag; if you already have a card, sell the upgrade card. From what I heard was the goal was to go paper free - all done electronically.
If a flight attendant tried to peddle a card to me by emphasizing the free first bag, I would loudly remind her and everyone within earshot that I could get a better benefit just by flying WN.

I know that's tasteless, but so is what she's doing.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:10 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Is this any worse than the duty free sales? Not to me. Yes, I get the unnecessary PA announcement when you're trying to sleep. Annoying. But beyond that, I just don't see this as a major issue. Ignore it, just as one might do with the duty-free cart.
For some liquor items particularly cognac, especially in the months when they were running an "extra" discount, the prices for the in-flight duty free sales were much better than the DF pricing in LHR, CDG or ZRH--this was your last chance to buy DF--I didn't find that sales pitch objectionable.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I belive it's $50 per approved application.
Indeed it is. My little sis is a US Airways FA. She got $50 for my application.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by T/BE20/G
And for those FAs who feel this way, they'll have the option of not participating. It's an optional program for US FAs, but most choose to participate due to the cash incentives, including $10,000+ bonuses for top performers.
Exactly... $50 per app plus bonuses. Those who are good at it can double their salary. You really think that a flight attendant cares if it seems tacky? Plenty of people do FAR tackier things for far less money.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by wetrat0
Plenty of people do FAR tackier things for far less money.
Reality TV? Is that the flight experience we want?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Exactly... $50 per app plus bonuses. Those who are good at it can double their salary. You really think that a flight attendant cares if it seems tacky? Plenty of people do FAR tackier things for far less money.
given the cash incentive to the FA, I'm confident that they don't care if its tacky to solicit the customers. But what the airline failed to consider was whether the customer thinks its tacky, and judging from the comments here, most people do think its tacky.

Next time I'm solicited on a plane, I guess I'll respond with " did you just solicit your customer ? Do you have any dignity or professionalism at all ?"

followed with:

"Now be a good waitress and go bring me a coke".
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
"We are primarily here for your safety....and to make extra money with credit applications."
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:29 am

When I worked in retail one summer, they paid a token amount for getting people to sign up for store credit cards. I think it was literally $1 a card.

That was the carrot. The stick was that if you didn't get enough apps in a month, you got called into the supervisor's office and written up for "not performing up to company standards." They never said what happened if you got written up too much, but the implied threat was there.

Luckily I was just there for the summer, and I think I opened two accounts the whole time (one was my own!). I got written up, but I didn't give a durn since I was quitting anyway.

Hopefully, the FAs have a strong enough union to protect them against this "little carrot with a huge stick" approach. There was no union where I worked...and I still remember that the employee guide said "here at Mervyns, we're just one Big Happy Family. We don't need outside groups coming in and messing up our Big Happy Family, now do we?" Hah! The very first thing I've done at every job I've had since then, where there was a union, was to sign up.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lobo411
...Hopefully, the FAs have a strong enough union to protect them against this...
God knows they've "protected them" from everything else.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
40,000 with sign up and an extra 500 for applying inflight. Not sure what the normal sign up is from the folks on the ground or the website.
Hi GW - several questions - if you care to answer --

-will you be doing it via your tablets, paper applications or both?
- how much do you get per sign-up
- is it split between the FAs or just the person who signs up?
- how is it determined who gets to sell?
Right now we (US) only have the option of doing paper applications. Bonus is paid to the individual f/a whose app is approved
Anyone can choose to participate and when passing them out they are slotted so everyone gets a fair share.
I do participate in the program but always do it appropriately I never do it on early morning or late night flights when a lot of people are sleeping. I also don't do it on the very short flights where they cater express beverage service because if we don't have time to do a full service we shouldn't have time to do credit cards. On my last 3 day trip we did the credit card announcement one leg because of those reasons. I do it for personal reasons, 2 very sick parents and a lot of unexpected expenses the last couple of years where taking a second part time job isn't possible. There are a lot of reasons f/as participate (spouses have lost jobs, people are thrown into single parenthood, people still tryin to recover past paycuts). When I do it, we make one short announcement and one quick pass thru the cabin. I don't ask people individually and don't do any follow up announcements. I know some f/as are over the top with it and when I fly with them I won't participate. For those of you that think defacing the airplane or making condescending comments to the crew will make you feel better why don't you take a minute and think why they might need that little bit of extra income.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:46 am

For those of you that think defacing the airplane or making condescending comments to the crew will make you feel better why don't you take a minute and think why they might need that little bit of extra income.
I think over-stickering seat-back advertising will add to the plane's ambiance*; it's not to disparage the crew whom I like very much! I'm glad that if you are offering applications, you're being thoughtful and subtle about it.

*There should be no seat-back/bin advertising whatsoever. It's truly the epitome of "tacky".
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:12 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

...For those of you that think defacing the airplane or making condescending comments to the crew will make you feel better why don't you take a minute and think why they might need that little bit of extra income.
Amen-- good for you for pointing this out.

Loud, boorish, cloddish pax: "CREDIT CARD APPLICATION?!?!? Don't you know who I am??"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.