AA FAs start peddling credit cards like US

 
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:48 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 6,089
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Wow, I apologize if I upset anyone or misrepresented what I was trying to say. I do mostly west coast flying so that's where I got my 5 hour reference and as I said before I don't do it on the very short flights and would never do it if it was going to compromise other duties. I also apologize if I sounded like I was complaining about my job. I still love my job after all these years and still enjoy coming to work, if I didn't I would have quit many years ago. I'm going to stop posting on this thread, but again I'm truly sorry if I said the wrong thing. Wishing everyone safe travels.
Ignore the haters. Keep speaking your mind.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire
Global321 is offline  
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:52 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Posts: 2,080
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
I'm truly sorry if I said the wrong thing.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You didn't. Based on what you've posted so far, I'd say that AA needs more like you.
+1. Tough crowd here, but that's us, not you.
Ready2Go is offline  
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:18 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: IND/MEX
Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Posts: 1,170
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I have a compromise:

FAs may solicit me while I'm trying to relax or work during the flight as long as I can have 15 minutes of your time after we land and you're off the clock, so that I can tell you about all the wonderful things that Amway and Jehovah's Witnesses have done in my life.... Deal ?
This cracked me up.

I can do without the credit card hawking. It was one thing I did not enjoy at all on my US flights earlier this year.
saltytheseagull is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:23 am
  #94  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Posts: 6,988
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
When confronted with inappropriate or boorish behavior, do you respond in kind? Wouldn't a more effective way to raise things above that level be to behave according to your own, presumably higher, standards, regardless of how others act?
I'd prefer if the airline didn't encourage their employees to turn the flight into a swap meet and start soliciting their customers with unwanted offers for credit cards, timeshares and aluminum siding. But if we're gonna go there, I guess I can play along at that level too.

As I said, soliciting customers is something I expect from a teenager at a mall kiosk, not a professional flight attendant. Soliciting is beneath the dignity of their profession.
cynicAAl is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:22 am
  #95  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 14,562
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Also being "served" on your American Airlines flight starting at the end of the month will be flight attendants hawking credit cards.

So nice to see everything that makes US Airways America's worst and trashiest airline (at least Spirit doesn't pretend to be more than they are) come to AA.
So 100 posts in, based on 1 post spawned from another thread, I have to ask - is this confirmed? It certainly wouldn't surprise me, of course.But I want to make sire we're not just reacting to a rumor before I join in with the teeth-gnashing.
swag is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:24 am
  #96  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC-BNA
Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Is this any worse than the duty free sales? Not to me. Yes, I get the unnecessary PA announcement when you're trying to sleep. Annoying. But beyond that, I just don't see this as a major issue. Ignore it, just as one might do with the duty-free cart.
No, don't ignore it. Complain about it, including here, which AA monitors. There's already enough corporate noise in the cabin as it is, most of it redundant boilerplate to satisfy the lawyers. (Seriously, does anyone on earth not know how to buckle a set belt?)
Danwriter is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:48 am
  #97  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 6,089
Originally Posted by Danwriter
No, don't ignore it. Complain about it, including here, which AA monitors. There's already enough corporate noise in the cabin as it is, most of it redundant boilerplate to satisfy the lawyers. (Seriously, does anyone on earth not know how to buckle a set belt?)
From Tommy Boy...

"...If you guys don't know how to use a seatbelt, just ring your call button and Tommy will come back there and hit you on the head with a tack hammer because you're a *ret--d*."
Global321 is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:31 am
  #98  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Posts: 2,080
Although many of us like to think of ourselves as AA's best customers, the unfortunate reality is that Citi is by far AA's biggest and best customer. That's bound to become more and more evident.
Ready2Go is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:38 am
  #99  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 31,789
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
Although many of us like to think of ourselves as AA's best customers, the unfortunate reality is that Citi is by far AA's biggest and best customer. That's bound to become more and more evident.
True, although in more than 25 years since AA and Citi partnered, I've never heard an AA FA personally solicit anyone on a flight to fill out an application.

Perhaps we'll get lucky and Citi won't want to pay AA's FAs $50 for successful applications. I doubt that Downgrade Dougie would pay it, so perhaps the solicitations might cease.
FWAAA is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:01 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Posts: 4,442
If enough people just respond with a polite "No, thanks", then the offers will disappear.
QueenOfCoach is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:22 pm
  #101  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Usually in SAN or Central Europe.
Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Posts: 22,349
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
If enough people just respond with a polite "No, thanks", then the offers will disappear.
You don't even have to get to that point. I have never been approached by a FA on a US flights, asking if I want to fill out a CC application. There is usaully a PA announcement, and then a FA walks down the aisle with the applications in hand. You don't even have to acknowledge them as they pass by your row. HOWEVER, I have been singled out many times in AA terminals, as well as UA and DL terminals, by people hawking the airline's CC (standing near a makeshift kiosk) as I walked passed them going to my gate. Is that method supposed to be more "refined" and, of course, more "premium"?
Fanjet is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:45 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 6,089
Originally Posted by Fanjet
You don't even have to get to that point. I have never been approached by a FA on a US flights, asking if I want to fill out a CC application. There is usaully a PA announcement, and then a FA walks down the aisle with the applications in hand. You don't even have to acknowledge them as they pass by your row. HOWEVER, I have been singled out many times in AA terminals, as well as UA and DL terminals, by people hawking the airline's CC (standing near a makeshift kiosk) as I walked passed them going to my gate. Is that method supposed to be more "refined" and, of course, more "premium"?
I agree... I find that much more intrusive. They dont want to let you walk by without you saying 'I have one' or 'No thanks'.

I also agree about the plane... while the multiple announcements are annoying if you are watching the IFE, it is pretty easy to ignore them (and they you) when they walk down the isle.
Global321 is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:13 pm
  #103  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 542
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Also being "served" on your American Airlines flight starting at the end of the month will be flight attendants hawking credit cards.

So nice to see everything that makes US Airways America's worst and trashiest airline (at least Spirit doesn't pretend to be more than they are) come to AA.
How is this different from having reps in the Admirals Club offer the Citi Executive card?

If anything, I would suggest being solicited in the Admirals Club is much worse (even if the card does offer a 100k sign up bonus).
NauticalWheeler is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:15 pm
  #104  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 5,270
Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
How is this different from having reps in the Admirals Club offer the Citi Executive card?

If anything, I would suggest being solicited in the Admirals Club is much worse (even if the card does offer a 100k sign up bonus).
On the plane you are a captive audience, and if on a connecting itinerary you can be subjected to the same droning, 10-minute speech multiple times per day.
rjw242 is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:33 pm
  #105  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 542
Originally Posted by rjw242
On the plane you are a captive audience, and if on a connecting itinerary you can be subjected to the same droning, 10-minute speech multiple times per day.
I always carry ear plugs while flying, but I don't usually wear them in the lounge.
NauticalWheeler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.