Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FAs start peddling credit cards like US

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by sukn
Luckily on my flights it has been happening about as consistently as PDBs -- which is to say not very often. When it does happen, it is quite intrusive since you have no opportunity to block it out and the announcement is quite lengthy.
I've noticed that. I think I've at least gotten water for a PDB more often than the CC pitch. And I haven't been batting very well on successful upgrades at that.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
Oh, look, one of the worst parts of LUS. I swear to God, this merger is bringing the worst of both airlines and combining those aspects into one! Well done, Douggie!!!
Well, United set the bar pretty high for attempting to combine the worst of each airline so it's now up to Doug and Scott to try and top that...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MADPhil
It happened on what of our recent flights. The FA seemed a bit embarrassed to be doing it, he was very outgoing and friendly in his other duties, and I felt embarrassed for him.
Got it LGA-DFW on Sunday...yes they look embarrassed having to do it.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Luckily on my flights it has been happening about as consistently as PDBs -- which is to say not very often. When it does happen, it is quite intrusive since you have no opportunity to block it out and the announcement is quite lengthy.
Like you, this has been non-existent on AA. I've had it on 1 flight in over 50 since this change. And that one flight was the week it rolled out.

Half of me wonders if that "savvy-ness" of AA travelers that are on most flights makes this much less viable for AA FAs to pitch? At least on my typical AA flights, I'd guess 90% of the passengers are business travelers. On US flights on similar routes, I find it probably less than 25% business travelers.

The average business traveler is likely part of the AAdvantage program AND has a Citicard. A once a year passenger (which looks to make up a lot of US passengers) wouldnt, so they would be more inclined to take the applications.

On the US flights (10+), I've seen a large percentage of passenger grab an application (way more than I expected). On that one AA flight, it appeared that only a couple folks grabbed them.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Got it LGA-DFW on Sunday...yes they look embarrassed having to do it.
Just to clarify, the do not have to do it. They personally get a bonus incentive to do it, but it is up to the FA.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
When it does happen, it is quite intrusive since you have no opportunity to block it out and the announcement is quite lengthy.
My headphones connected to my iPod block it out just great.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Flying AS, iirc you get the pitch and often enough, intrusive card flogging reps at a table near the boarding gates.

At least we don't have ad decals applied to the fold-up tables - yet.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There is another side though.

If people don't like it they should complain to US/AA. One complaint will not make a difference but if enough people complain, it might.
I've been complaining each and every time the pitch comes on. So far it's been on every US flight but I haven't gotten one on an AA flight yet.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
On the US flights (10+), I've seen a large percentage of passenger grab an application (way more than I expected). On that one AA flight, it appeared that only a couple folks grabbed them.
I would agree in my limited perspective of US flights...there were multiple people around me that grabbed applications, two in front of me filled them out and turned them in to the FA. Different customers/mindsets at play.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:52 pm

AA FAs start peddling credit cards like US

They were completely different cards with different benefits and stipulations.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:18 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
The average business traveler is likely part of the AAdvantage program AND has a Citicard. A once a year passenger (which looks to make up a lot of US passengers) wouldnt, so they would be more inclined to take the applications.
This is DYKWIA talk!

Look around you - those branded cards are everywhere. Infrequent flyers are trying hard to consolidate their spending with extra perks, even when queueing at the grocery see regular people attempting to "double dip" with HHonors, UA, AA+US, and DL cards at 1 mile to the $. If you're not deep into the mechanics of award travelling, those offers seems to be designed to target less seasoned travelers: with EXP's we realistically get one in 10 trips for "free", while kettle (not meant offensive) are dreaming of getting every other trip as a freebee - "we just need 25k Miles each!" and have the added benefit of not having their hard earned 7256 miles expire after a year of inactivity.

That they will (almost) never be able to cash in a J/F class reword or score a room at a posh hotel is a totally detached point.

PS: Funny quote DFW-SAT: "You COULD earn TWICE the approximately 246 miles with ..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.