Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LAX / Los Angeles Int'l. Flagship Lounge (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: LAX / Los Angeles Int'l. Flagship Lounge (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
That's interesting. QF is buying Evian, even though most of pax there aren't flying QF? My next planned trip out of LAX, will be a LAN flight.

Sorry, I didn't mean it literally. What I meant is that the only reason why AA has such a high level of service at the FL at LAX (and, some would argue, the only reason there is a FL at all) is because QF paid for a large chunk of the costs to build it, and continues to subsidize many of the operational costs (according to the AA Premium Svc Mgr there). Indeed, both the AC and FL are co-branded as QF lounges (QP and First lounge, respectively).

By contrast, there is no "co-branding" of the FLs at JFK, ORD, MIA, or LHR.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:23 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ESpen36
QF is paying for that Evian at the LAX FL. AA wouldn't pay for Evian domestically. Proof: the premium cabin service ex-USA has downgraded from Dannon to an off-brand personal water service. Evian would be unthinkable--too expensive.

(ex-Europe, or at least ex-FRA, onboard service water is still Evian)
Inasmuch as these are all pretty much the same from a quality standpoint (regardless of whether they are purified or come from magical springs somewhere) I applaud a decision to cut costs in an area such as this. The whole bottled water fad is just another way to generate more waste in any event.

There are certainly differentiated products where it is beneficial to spend money (and AA usually doesn't there eithr) but bottled water is certainly not one of them.

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 1:19 am
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by onobond
Given the 5 hours layover, my advice is - skip breakfast en route, have it in FL.
As long as you're satisfied with a breakfast of stale, dried-out waffle stix, fruit, yogurt and/or cold cereal.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Hoc
As long as you're satisfied with a breakfast of stale, dried-out waffle stix, fruit, yogurt and/or cold cereal.
A cup of fresh made espresso never made it on a plane. Otherwise, when it comes to quality, not much to write home about, neither on the plane or in the FL. When you have the choice of two mediocre breakfasts, sleep over the first, grab something where you stay for showers etc.

Old Jul 12, 2009, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Inasmuch as these are all pretty much the same from a quality standpoint (regardless of whether they are purified or come from magical springs somewhere) I applaud a decision to cut costs in an area such as this. The whole bottled water fad is just another way to generate more waste in any event.

There are certainly differentiated products where it is beneficial to spend money (and AA usually doesn't there eithr) but bottled water is certainly not one of them.

Cheers.
Ahh, but M'sewer, you mus' drink ze wunnerful water from Frawnce. Eet has ze je ne sait quoi.

OT - Evian is expensive in the U.S., but not as expensive as it is in Evian, across the street from the bottling plant.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
evian spelled backwards is naive. speaks volume of the marketing of this stuff!

it wasn't that long ago that some people in US were spending more per unit volume for the fancy water than gasoline.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:23 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I absolutely agree about the water. Instead of Evian, it should be Fiji.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
In N Out and Shuttle Information

In N Out is THE best So. Cal. burger. Exit the AA terminal to the right, go to Red Shuttle sign, take the Yellow Parking Spot SEPULVEDA bus. Their garage is in the same building as In N Out. Do not take the CENTURY bus. Bus takes 5 minutes. ENJOY!!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemac
[/I].

OT - Evian is expensive in the U.S., but not as expensive as it is in Evian, across the street from the bottling plant.
IIRC there is an everflowing spigot of fresh Evian water (same source as the bottled water) just down the street from the factory. Anybody could walk up and fill up their bottles, drums, ect. with Evian water for free.

Bottled water in general is overrated and a waste of resources be it Fiji, Evian or Safeway brand.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by onobond
... The NRT flight comes in late morning, and OP propably got breakfast on board, if not, the tranquil FL, inside the AC, may compensate. Late morning, noon and afternoons are rather meagre, hot soup and a ceasar salad are SOP. Small hot hors d'heuvres presented in the evening. ...
The evening food can be quite substantial. Earlier last month among other things, the LAX F/L had laid out the makings of chicken fajitas. (Guacamole, refried beans, chilli sauce, soft corn tortillas etc...). They were very nice.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveInSFV
In N Out is THE best So. Cal. burger. Exit the AA terminal to the right, go to Red Shuttle sign, take the Yellow Parking Spot SEPULVEDA bus. Their garage is in the same building as In N Out. Do not take the CENTURY bus. Bus takes 5 minutes. ENJOY!!
If you aren't their parking customer, what entitles you to use their bus?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe they tip you give the driver?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...l#post11454731

Last edited by serfty; Jul 13, 2009 at 4:19 am
Old Jul 13, 2009, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
Maybe the tip you give the driver?
Well, if the parking company approves, I guess it would be OK. I am betting they wouldn't approve.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See the link above:
Originally Posted by lili
Maybe In 'n Out is supporting the ParkingSpot and are just letting us think we're getting away with something. (Free double-doubles for ParkingSpot staff and drivers?)

You guys DO tip the shuttle driver, don't you? Of course he's happy to take you.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 7:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
If you aren't their parking customer, what entitles you to use their bus?
Getting on does. I use the long term parking shuttle at SJC all the time, and I don't park in the lot.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.