Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Celebrity Sightings and Related - 2000-2012

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite, etc, etc, etc
Actually not mine, but worth repeating:

On a business trip to LA, my father sat next to - as he described him - "a VERY large black guy who everyone seemed to know". After all of the "hey, can I get your autograph?" died down and the flight was underway, my father asked the guy, "With all of the autographs and hooplah, I guess you must be someone pretty special, but I have to admit, I am drawing a blank. So, who are you that everyone wants your autograph?"

To which the VERY large black man said to my father (laughing), "I am Earvin Johnson...." expecting my father to react. When no reaction was forthcoming, he repeated himself, "Magic Johnson....I played basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers..." still no reaction from my father who then replied, "I don't keep up with sports that much." Which almost rocked the plane with Magic's laugh.

The two talked almost constantly for the rest of the trip. I think Magic was just happy to talk about something other than...well.... himself... and basketball.... women... whatever they talked about, I am sure it wasn't any of that.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite, etc, etc, etc
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
The Marshall Tucker Band. TUS/DFW at 0dark30. They all looked pretty good for being that early in the morning.
Hey, my wife and I flew on a plane with a Southern Rock band and lived to tell the tale!!!!

Now that is daring!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by resnick
Sun, Oct. 21 (i.e., now), Governor Eliot Spitzer, O'Hare Airport, G-Concourse Admiral's Club.
College classmate of mine. He was a scary guy even then.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:36 am

Programs: Back to AA EXP for 2018 after 1 year on worthless Plat Pro
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
College classmate of mine. He was a scary guy even then.
^^^ Still is....
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Now I Feel Old

Originally Posted by mvoight
MT is a rock band??
Yes, the Marshall Tucker Band was a band from South Carolina that was formed in the early 70s; nobody in the band was named Marshall Tucker, however.

Working as a disc jockey for several SC radio stations in the mid-70s, I got a lot of phone call requests for their music.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by bzbdavid
On a business trip to LA, my father sat next to - as he described him - "a VERY large black guy who everyone seemed to know". After all of the "hey, can I get your autograph?" died down and the flight was underway, my father asked the guy, "With all of the autographs and hooplah, I guess you must be someone pretty special, but I have to admit, I am drawing a blank. So, who are you that everyone wants your autograph?"

To which the VERY large black man said to my father (laughing), "I am Earvin Johnson...." expecting my father to react. When no reaction was forthcoming, he repeated himself, "Magic Johnson....I played basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers..." still no reaction from my father who then replied, "I don't keep up with sports that much."
I have to admit, that would be me if I ever sat next to him (or anyone else from sports), and very probably anyone else famous -- I'm awful at recognizing people.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:27 pm
FTW

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Fran Drescher (is she still a celebrity?) in the H/K AC at ORD on 10/10. She was certainly acting like a celebrity...didn't even wait in line to check in.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:02 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by FTW
Fran Drescher (is she still a celebrity?) in the H/K AC at ORD on 10/10. She was certainly acting like a celebrity...didn't even wait in line to check in.
I think that if you are still being paid for re-runs .. you are a celebrity.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Stevie Wonder in 2A

he sat in back of me with his guide (?) on the FC from LAX-JFK. Very quiet man. Didn't eat anything...
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:10 am

Timothy Dalton (former James Bond) on trip to Antigua.^
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1MM+, Marriot Platinum, Avis First
Hulk Hogan in First Class about 3 weeks ago, TPA - DFW. The FA was perched on his seat and ignoring everyone else pretty much the entire flight. Hulk was alone and boarded right before the front doors were closed.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by susiequeve
Timothy Dalton (former James Bond) on trip to Antigua.^
Welcome to Flyertalk, susiequeve.

I always wondered why they fired him as James Bond; I thought he was good in that role. I guess he wasn't pretty enough.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Phillippi Sparks - Jordan Sparks' father and also a former football player for the Giants. Met him at the First/EXP security line at ORD last night and went to the AC with him. I did not know who he was until he said he came back from London that day. He also told me he was Jordan Sparks' father - no he was not bragging, you could tell he was just a very proud father. Talked about his wife and Jordan working with Chris Brown on a project.

Really nice and pleasant guy.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by badjuju
Phillippi Sparks - Jordan Sparks' father and also a former football player for the Giants....I did not know who he was until he said he came back from London that day.
I was on the same flight from LHR-ORD - I thought he looked familiar.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 9:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Jim Lehrer from PBS in the AC at DCA this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.