Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
Great, thank you so much. This is very helpful. Prior flights to Europe have been direct to FRA or Paris and that was it.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
We are thinking about a trip to Hong Kong this fall on American's new B777-300 nonstop service from DFW. We would be traveling in business class. I'm AA Gold and my fiancee does not have elite status.

Questions: would this class of service include lounge access at DFW at if so, what lounge? And would we also have lounge access at HKG?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:14 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
We are thinking about a trip to Hong Kong this fall on American's new B777-300 nonstop service from DFW. We would be traveling in business class. I'm AA Gold and my fiancee does not have elite status.

Questions: would this class of service include lounge access at DFW at if so, what lounge? And would we also have lounge access at HKG?
Yes a business class ticket will get you access to the Admirals Club in DFW and any of the Cathay Pacific Business Class lounges in HKG.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:28 am

I can't pay for MCE at time of purchase on a 12.5k saver award. When can I buy one? T-24? Airport kiosk, or not at all (no status)? Thanks

Last edited by saaveraward; Jan 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:19 pm

DFW-NRT

Flying to Japan & Korea in late February. My company is paying for biz-class ticket, but taking a companion along which I will have to pay full price for, so trying to find the best combination of comfort & price.

Possible routes include LAX/DFW to NRT, then home from ICN to LAX/DFW.

Cheapest flight is round trip on DFW-NRT and ICN-DFW in AA business class, on a Boeing 777-200. From the research I was able to find, this seems to be an angled lie-flat seat? Can anyone confirm?

The LAX option is on Singapore biz class on the way there, and Delta (operated by KE) on the way back. This route also involves another 3-4 hours in travel time versus going in and out of DFW, but seems like it offers a superior product (fully lie flat beds in both directions?).
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
Somewhat silly question:

I'm trying to redeem miles for the following open-jaw:

STL-VIE (w/connections)
ZRH-STL (w/connections)

The ZRH-STL leg is easy, and has plenty of options. The STL-VIE leg, however, is proving to be a pain in the arse.

For example, if I set tell AA.com that I want to book two award seats at the same time for the range of 4/23-4/25, it shows no availability. If I change it back to one seat though, the dates open up again.

Am I safe to assume that if I put one award seat on hold for my wife, then log back in to hold my own award seat, I'll come up empty anyway?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
Am I safe to assume that if I put one award seat on hold for my wife, then log back in to hold my own award seat, I'll come up empty anyway?
Unfortunately you are correct. Once a reservation is placed on hold, that portion of the inventory disappears to prevent others from booking.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Unfortunately you are correct. Once a reservation is placed on hold, that portion of the inventory disappears to prevent others from booking.
Figured as much...

Trying to get award seats on AA has really become very difficult over the last 12 months (imo). Then again, I suppose I'd have an easier time if I didn't live in a town with a B-rate airport (STL)
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
Somewhat silly question:

I'm trying to redeem miles for the following open-jaw:

STL-VIE (w/connections)
ZRH-STL (w/connections)

The ZRH-STL leg is easy, and has plenty of options. The STL-VIE leg, however, is proving to be a pain in the arse.

For example, if I set tell AA.com that I want to book two award seats at the same time for the range of 4/23-4/25, it shows no availability. If I change it back to one seat though, the dates open up again.

Probably, but it's just a hold, so give it a try. Even try waiting a day and then checking again, to see if revenue management may have opened up a second seat, once the first is gone. If not, just cancel the hold...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Payment question

I am sorry to bother you, I have one question about the AA site.

I live in the UK but my Amex is a USD card, therefore I would like to pay in USD. However, fares automatically change to GBP at the time of booking because of my UK billing address.

Is there any way to pay in USD with a UK billing address? Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
This is not about an AA flight, but about how/whether I can leverage my EXP status in case of irrops on Iberia. I'm flying ORY-MAD next week, and air traffic controllers have called a 5-day action. Tickets were purchased on Iberia with Chase Ultimate Rewards. When I ran into weather problems once flying an AA codeshare on BA from CDG I struck out both with the AC agent and the BA GAs. A call to the EXP line solved the problem, but I won't have that recourse here. What should I do if they cancel my flight or bump me from the flight? This is not a leisure trip--I have 6 hours leeway but I do need to get there!

I've been pretty lucky with irrops and frankly don't know the ropes that well, especially outside of AA.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by asherg
I can't pay for MCE at time of purchase on a 12.5k saver award. When can I buy one? T-24? Airport kiosk, or not at all (no status)? Thanks
Non-elites travelling on SAAver awards can not purchase MCE seats. You can try your luck by not choosing any seat and you might get an MCE seat assigned at the airport, since those are usually the only ones left, but you might also wind up with a middle seat in the back.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Have a Flagship Lounge access question. I know EXPs on any international itinerary can access the FL, just wanted to confirm that an EXP can guest one into the FL?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:19 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Pinned
Have a Flagship Lounge access question. I know EXPs on any international itinerary can access the FL, just wanted to confirm that an EXP can guest one into the FL?
Yes
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HNL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Yes
Perfect. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.