Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

More info about using the Finnair (or Royal Jordanian or Qatar Airways) website to change your frequent-flyer number can be found here:

http://pointstobemade.boardingarea.c...s-as-you-want/
Thank you guv - very helpful!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:04 pm

Non-rev D3 AA Flying Question

I am going to be flying on a D3 non rev pass in February from Chicago to Chennai, India. However, I am not sure if I can code share on British Airways or not? I may fly to a nearby country- which would be the closest and cheapest stop to India?

If anyone could explain any nonrev changes in 2014-15 from the merger, I would so appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jmbever
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk, jmbever.

One thing you'll find out about FlyerTalk is we know next to nothing about nonrev flying.

Usually the best sources for buddy pass information are a buddy pass sponsor (the person bestowing the buddy pass) or the employee guides and websites (usually not available to non-airline personnel).

We do have quite a mass of information about revenue and award travel.

Have a great trip to Chennai.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jmbever
I am going to be flying on a D3 non rev pass in February from Chicago to Chennai, India. However, I am not sure if I can code share on British Airways or not? I may fly to a nearby country- which would be the closest and cheapest stop to India?

If anyone could explain any nonrev changes in 2014-15 from the merger, I would so appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jmbever
D3 passes issued through AA employees are valid for travel only on AA; they are not valid even for travel on US, let alone BA.

American does not fly to any destination close to India. Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing and Rome are probably as close as you can get.

You're better off buying a discounted fare ticket to travel between the US and India. That way you will be certain to get on.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Alitalia STE+
77W best seats

Hi there,

Looking forward to my first AA 77W flight JFK-LHR this weekend.

I'm currently in 3A but would be interested to get feedback on this seat (if there is any!?) and/or be pointed in the right direction of a thread that has more feedback on the best business seats for quietness?

Thank you!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:48 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bowlingformatt
Hi there,

I'm currently in 3A but would be interested to get feedback on this seat (if there is any!?) and/or be pointed in the right direction of a thread that has more feedback on the best business seats for quietness?

Thank you!
I don't have any info, but I can point you to a thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

(If you go to the top right and click on "Search this forum," you'll open up a small search box. I clicked on "Advanced search," put in "77W" as the keyword, made sure "search titles only" was selected just below the keyword box, then hit search. The thread I gave above was the third one listed.)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Last week i booked BDP-LHR-JFK (one way award) for the tail end of a 2 week trip through Europe. The flights are all operated on BA and are in Club Exc seats. I wanted to pick my seats to hopefully get a spot upstairs on the 747, but the BA site was saying it would charge me? I've just never seen that on a biz class award before. I'm not a regular AA flyer. Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by bowlingformatt
Hi there,

Thank you!
3A, as part of the "mini" J cabin will definitely be quieter than the larger J class cabin.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
Last week i booked BDP-LHR-JFK (one way award) for the tail end of a 2 week trip through Europe. The flights are all operated on BA and are in Club Exc seats. I wanted to pick my seats to hopefully get a spot upstairs on the 747, but the BA site was saying it would charge me? I've just never seen that on a biz class award before. I'm not a regular AA flyer. Thanks

BA charges for all advanced seat selection unless you are in first or are OWE or OWS. So yes the charges are correct if not annoying.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
I'm guessing you're in Club World, right? No oneworld status, you're going to have to buy your way into the SUD (Stretched Upper Deck).

Do check the BAEC forum for the definitive information on CW seats; they vary quite a bit regarding aisle access, seat length, etc.

NOTE: this thread is an ARCHIVE of posts made to the original thread prior to 2015. For the current thread, please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lame-free.html.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 1, 2015 at 11:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.