Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:51 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KPT
How long does it usually take for JL flights to post to AA? Do they tend to be done as a sweep sometime during the month?

I have an upcoming AA segment and I don't have enough stickers to cover the upgrade, but I should with the base miles from the JL flight.
IME they are batched and it can take up to 13 days to post.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:59 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Thanks for the quick reply, HNL. Holding out hope that all my segments in JL get picked up in the next sweep
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:28 pm

If you're flying AA LHR-LAX and because of a delay in LHR you miss your connecting flight to ORD, the last flight of the day, will AA put you up in a hotel?

Don't laugh.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:03 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zznoname
If you're flying AA LHR-LAX and because of a delay in LHR you miss your connecting flight to ORD, the last flight of the day, will AA put you up in a hotel?

Don't laugh.
As with everything it all depends on the reason for the delay. It woud have to be a HEFTY delay to miss the last LHR-ORD flight. LAX arrives at about 13:30 and the ORD flight departs at 17:15.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
As with everything it all depends on the reason for the delay. It woud have to be a HEFTY delay to miss the last LHR-ORD flight. LAX arrives at about 13:30 and the ORD flight departs at 17:15.
Thanks.

AA 137 arrives 15.30 but I get your point.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:12 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally I read your post that you were traveling the other direction - LAX-LHR so let me amend my prior post.

If you miss the last flight out (oddly enough at 17:15 same as LHR) you could be accomodated on the LAX-ORD Red-eye. or the LAX-DFW-ORD, or LAX-LAS-ORD, or LAX-SFO-ORD flights. Seems unlikely you would be given a hotel straight away unless all those options are sold out.

Last edited by HNL; Jan 11, 2014 at 8:17 pm
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
When are you traveling? The current arrival time of AA 137 LAX-LHR is 13:15.
It's LHR-LAX:

https://www.google.com/#q=aa137

xLAX-ORD @ 17.15.

Originally Posted by zznoname
... because of a delay in LHR you miss your connecting flight to ORD...

Last edited by zznoname; Jan 11, 2014 at 8:20 pm
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Originally I read your post that you were traveling the other direction - LAX-LHR so let me amend my prior post.

If you miss the last flight out (oddly enough at 17:15 same as LHR) you could be accomodated on the LAX-ORD Red-eye. or the LAX-DFW-ORD, or LAX-LAS-ORD, or LAX-SFO-ORD flights. Seems unlikely you would be given a hotel straight away unless all those options are sold out.
Got it. Thank you.

(hypothetically/long delay)

Would it not be "mean" of AA to put someone on a connecting flight with a longish LO that would put them at their destination early morning next day instead of the night, after they were already delayed once on AA's account?

Weather related/CXL flights I'd be happy to get going on any route, but wouldn't someone have a say/option as in.. I need some sleep and rather not keep traveling all night?

Last edited by zznoname; Jan 11, 2014 at 8:44 pm
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:45 pm

I hope I can ask a really newbie question without being slammed. I have been ready posts untill I am blind and need some basic information.I have been diligently saving up all my points with AA, Amex premier rewards, Hhonors and SPG. Am planning a cruise in New Zealand/ Australia this spring and really confused about how to actually "use" the mileage points. Am I to buy a coach ticket and use them to upgrade or do they actually allow me to buy a ticket with points? Also how do I transfer then into different programs these airlines from SFO to New Zealand such as Air New Zealand and Hawaii airlines? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sweetadventure
Am I to buy a coach ticket and use them to upgrade or do they actually allow me to buy a ticket with points? Also how do I transfer then into different programs these airlines from SFO to New Zealand such as Air New Zealand and Hawaii airlines? Thanks in advance.
You can AA miles (not points) for both types of awards you mention: to get a ticket OR to upgrade a paid ticket.

Both are subject to availability, and mileage upgrades must be on AA planes. At present AA doesn't fly to Australia/NZ so that wouldn't be an option for this routing. You can use your miles for Qantas tickets, so that's likely your most viable option, but award tickets are subject to availability.

Transferring Aadvantage miles into other programs usually requires going through 3rd party, such as "points.com" You can't do it directly from aa.com.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:06 am

Edited: AA answered my question

Last edited by Northernskyuk; Jan 12, 2014 at 9:33 am Reason: question answered...
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
A newbie to AA question.

As a *A Gold and US Club holder I could get access to *A lounge on domestic flight (either would get me to the LH lounge for example, while US Club would get me to US and UA ones).

After end of March I'll be Emerald and also have club membership. Will any get me access to a BA lounge for example? Or any other OW lounge based on status and/or club membership on a domestic flight?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:17 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iztok
A newbie to AA question.

As a *A Gold and US Club holder I could get access to *A lounge on domestic flight (either would get me to the LH lounge for example, while US Club would get me to US and UA ones).

After end of March I'll be Emerald and also have club membership. Will any get me access to a BA lounge for example? Or any other OW lounge based on status and/or club membership on a domestic flight?
As an AA/US sapphire you can only access oneworld lounges in North America while traveling on a long haul international itinerary. Your club membership will grant you access to any AA or US lounge regardless of destination.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by HNL
As an AA/US sapphire you can only access oneworld lounges in North America while traveling on a long haul international itinerary. Your club membership will grant you access to any AA or US lounge regardless of destination.
Thanks! This is little more restrictive than *A it seems.

Even more restrictive than OW listed info:

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Hence the confusion.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:30 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iztok
Thanks! This is little more restrictive than *A it seems.

Even more restrictive than OW listed info:

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Hence the confusion.
Unlike Star, OW allows lounge access for the duration of your same day journey. So if flying RDU-MIA-SJO one would have access to the AC in RDU and MIA. Were this a Star flight it would only be permitted at MIA.

Here is the full Lounge Access Policy

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.

Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be traveling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when traveling between an international long haul* and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa). (* a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours)
Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.

The following exception applies:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when traveling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean) other than the exception listed below:

Customers traveling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.