Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
The award and upgrade classes for AA are only available via the Award & Upgrade search tool, not the Flight Availability search you quoted. If you specified AA as the only airline in the search you did, you'll see at the top of the Flight Availability results page a link "Search for Awards & Upgrades for ..." or just go to the Award & Upgrade search directly.
Ok, thank you. I followed your suggestion, and there are zero C seats available.

And, in fact, I redid the search for the same flight every day for the next 330 days (you can do a week at a time by using the +/-3days function, so it only takes about 45 repetitions) and there is not a single C seat available. How can every C seat for every single flight 36/37 between now and December be taken, when the seat maps show wide availability?

In the meantime I signed up for an alert.... though I guess with his non-elite status, he will never get the opportunity for an upgrade award?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Air, American Airlines, SWA RapidRewards
So I understand this right

I now have a Citi AAdvantage card, and just got my bonus miles ($1k/30k Miles). As a cardholder, I get a 7500 mile discount each way on RT flights (or 3750 one way)

I notice you have to call AAdvantage reservations to do this.

* Always have to call, or is there way to book award travel online, and get the discount for being cardmember?
* When I book anywhere, how do I make sure that I get the seat/ticket issued with no baggage fees.

That, and anything else I need to know being a new cardmember, and not having been an AA member for too long.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:59 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXracer

I now have a Citi AAdvantage card, and just got my bonus miles ($1k/30k Miles). As a cardholder, I get a 7500 mile discount each way on RT flights (or 3750 one way)

* Always have to call, or is there way to book award travel online, and get the discount for being cardmember?
* When I book anywhere, how do I make sure that I get the seat/ticket issued with no baggage fees.

That, and anything else I need to know being a new cardmember, and not having been an AA member for too long.
The discounts are available in select markets and change every quarter.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by PDXracer

Yes, you have to call (and pay the fee).

No matter where you book, as long as your AAdvantage number is on the reservation, the bag fee benefit should apply. You don't have to pay with the card to get the free bag.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:35 am

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere, but I've searched and haven't seen it.

Can we use US Air miles on a one-way AA award redemption?

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:29 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by ccohen322
I'm sure this has been posted somewhere, but I've searched and haven't seen it.

Can we use US Air miles on a one-way AA award redemption?

Thanks!
You can redeem US miles on AA under the current terms if the US program. If they offer one way awards (I have no idea) then you can book one ways.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:52 am

For those of you who have purchased miles last month, a purchase confirmation email says that there will be a separate email with an instruction to redeem an additional bonus in early January. Have you received such an email?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: AA PLAT
Originally Posted by little bunny
For those of you who have purchased miles last month, a purchase confirmation email says that there will be a separate email with an instruction to redeem an additional bonus in early January. Have you received such an email?
I did not/have not received such an email. Only a confirmation email for the miles purchased, and then both the purchased miles and the bonus miles showing up in my account on the same day.
(this was not last month, however, was the extension of the same bonus miles promotion. Jan 9th)
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posting this here because it isn't really AA specific. I also posted a thread at the AB forum, but wanted to get a AA EXP opinion, if possible (not sure if this counts as cross posting)

Anyways, flying TXL to ARN on AB in Feb. Booking a basic fare that includes 1 checked bag. As a OW Emerald (AA EXP), does that mean I get 2 checked bags?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by maggie08
I did not/have not received such an email. Only a confirmation email for the miles purchased, and then both the purchased miles and the bonus miles showing up in my account on the same day.
(this was not last month, however, was the extension of the same bonus miles promotion. Jan 9th)
Well, there's a separate bonus for people who purchased 60,000 miles. The email says "Congratulations, you are eligible to receive a special holiday gift. An e-mail will be sent to you in early January 2014 to allow you to make your gift selection" in red. Anyone?!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
I have a few LHR questions. I a few weeks, my wife and I will be flying to Budapest via LHR. This will be our first overseas flight with a stop

We are flying AA to London, then BA to Budapest.

I am AA PLAT, wife no status
I purchased my ticket with $, hers with miles
I have an Admiral's club membership
We have close to a 2 1/2 hour layover on the way there and about the same on the way back

From AA to BA, do we need to change terminals?
Can that be done w/o leaving security
I see there is an Admirals Club in Terminal 3, can we also use the BA club? I would like to have time for a shower.

Also, any general advice on traversing LHR would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Ok, I had a negative experience with AA this weekend, and I want to see if this is normal or just an aberration. My wife and I were flying AA1639 from MIA-CUR, and we both checked bags about 90 minutes prior to departure. When we landed in Curacao, they had left roughly 1/3 of the checked baggage behind (note that this is just an estimate based on the number of people in line behind us waiting to fill out paperwork to have their bags delivered). I have had missing bags before, but never to this magnitude, to I asked the agent:

Me: So what happened to the bags?
Agent: There was cargo so some of the bags didn't come.
Me: So you are saying that American had a cargo container and chose to bring that instead of our bags?
Agent: Yes.

She said that our bags should arrive on the evening flight from Miami and might get delivered that night (which of course they didn't). They did arrive to our B&B around 10am Saturday morning, though we did have to wear our sweaty clothes to our friend's rehearsal dinner that night.

Here are my questions:

1) Is taking cargo instead of bags normal? I have gotten spoiled traveling almost exclusively on Delta and having priority baggage handling, but I'm just a peon with AA
2) Is anyone else surprised that the agent actually admitted what happened?
3) I believe that I am officially not entitled to reimbursement of any kind because the bags were delivered within 24 hours (right?). However, I am planning on writing AA anyway to complain. In your opinion, is this situation deserving of compensation?

(Please note that I am asking this from the perspective of a Delta frequent flyer, who routinely reads threads where Delta gives 5,000 miles for running out of a meal choice in FC, for example.)

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Deemus7
1) Is taking cargo instead of bags normal? I have gotten spoiled traveling almost exclusively on Delta and having priority baggage handling, but I'm just a peon with AA
The decision of what bags to leave behind may well have been based on status (or lack thereof). Is this normal? Its never happened to me nor anyone I know.

2) Is anyone else surprised that the agent actually admitted what happened?
Seems like a no win situation: the only other option would be for the agent to lie

3) I believe that I am officially not entitled to reimbursement of any kind because the bags were delivered within 24 hours (right?). However, I am planning on writing AA anyway to complain. In your opinion, is this situation deserving of compensation?
I believe that if you contact AA you will receive some compensation/gesture of goodwill.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jan 19, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I have a few LHR questions. I a few weeks, my wife and I will be flying to Budapest via LHR. This will be our first overseas flight with a stop

We have close to a 2 1/2 hour layover on the way there and about the same on the way back

Originally Posted by jcrossen
AA lands at Terminal 3 - and present, BA LHR to Budapest also leaves from Terminal 3 so you'll be able to access the AC.

While you will not need to depart the airside portion of the terminal, you will encounter some security screening.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:53 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcrossen

We are flying AA to London, then BA to Budapest.

Can that be done w/o leaving security
I see there is an Admirals Club in Terminal 3, can we also use the BA club? I would like to have time for a shower.

Also, any general advice on traversing LHR would be appreciated.

Thanks
You will arrive in Terminal 3 and depart from Terminal 3. You will need to clear security upon arrival before you can go airside again. Upon arrival follow the purple signs to Flight Connections.

I would go to the Admirals Club and take a shower there, then make your way to the BA Galleries Lounge to relax prior to the flight to Budapest. The AA showers are superior in every way to the BA showers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.