Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:18 pm

I'm looking for 2 saver level seats SFO-LAX on 12/22, 6:30AM flight. It seems they only release 1 seat (first), no economy. I've check several days back and forth, only 1 seat per flight. Do they release more seats closer to departure date?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Even if you can get through security, I don't see any reason to use the AC over the BA Terraces lounge.
Thanks @apieinthesky.

I was just wondering if one lounge is orders of magnitude better than the other. I will just sit back and enjoy then.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by sriki
Thanks @apieinthesky.

I was just wondering if one lounge is orders of magnitude better than the other. I will just sit back and enjoy then.
I wouldn't say orders of magnitude, but I would say that the BA Terraces > Admirals Club.

I can't think of any reason to go through security in T8 and then back again in T7 (if you even could) just to go see the AC, unless you think you would be extremely bored, or if you've never been to the AC before and really want to just 'cause, etc.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:29 am

What are the guidelines for when you can request (or, more precisely, when you can actually expect to get) original routing credit? I've now twice this month had BNA->DFW->SNA scheduled, the BNA->DFW flight got delayed to the point where it would be impossible to make my connection (the last flight of the night to SNA), so I switched (via agents in the Admiral's Club) to a direct BNA->LAX. The mileage difference is minuscule, but I'd kind of like the segments just in case I end up qualifying that way this year (unlikely but possible).

In this situation, where I proactively asked to be changed before I had actually missed the connection, would they give me that credit?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You can probably receive "ORC" - see this thread for the details, please: 2014 Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) Issues (consolidated)

Originally Posted by Cardboard55
What are the guidelines for when you can request (or, more precisely, when you can actually expect to get) original routing credit? I've now twice this month had BNA->DFW->SNA scheduled, the BNA->DFW flight got delayed to the point where it would be impossible to make my connection (the last flight of the night to SNA), so I switched (via agents in the Admiral's Club) to a direct BNA->LAX. The mileage difference is minuscule, but I'd kind of like the segments just in case I end up qualifying that way this year (unlikely but possible).

In this situation, where I proactively asked to be changed before I had actually missed the connection, would they give me that credit?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There's no actual rule they will only release one seat (it's a dynamic process based on Yield / Revenue Management algorithms) - but it is possible they will release another seat in the future; you will merely have to look for it. (Think of booking one seat at 6:30, another on the next possible flight - changing times when an earlier one becomes available incurs no fee).

Originally Posted by istroke
I'm looking for 2 saver level seats SFO-LAX on 12/22, 6:30AM flight. It seems they only release 1 seat (first), no economy. I've check several days back and forth, only 1 seat per flight. Do they release more seats closer to departure date?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
I booked 2 award tickets for a flight that is operated by USAir on aa.com. Can I use stickers to try to get upgrades for the two of us?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by pritomd
I booked 2 award tickets for a flight that is operated by USAir on aa.com. Can I use stickers to try to get upgrades for the two of us?
Unfortunately, award flights cannot be upgraded.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Are redemptions in El Al F available at this time? I've seen conflicting info different places...
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Is it possible to rescind a 500 mile upgrade request? Specifically for a flight far in the future - ie upgrade hasn't been granted yet of course.

[situation details. Not necessarily necessary]
SO is traveling MAD-DFW-LBB. I'm traveling on same the same flight for the last segment DFW-LBB. (Different itineraries, different record locators.)
I've requested an upgrade award (copay+miles) for him. ...and then I requested my 500 mile upgrade for me so we could be together if he was upgraded.
But I'm dumb, and it occurred to me after the fact that there's a good possibility that he's not upgraded for his full itinerary, while my 500 does go through (the F section on this flight is never full). Should have waited. Can I take it back?

Yes, it has occurred to me to use another 500 mile for him for just this segment if he's not upgraded, but I'd rather not. We're happy to ride in coach for this stupidly short flight, if together.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by maggie08
Is it possible to rescind a 500 mile upgrade request? Specifically for a flight far in the future - ie upgrade hasn't been granted yet of course.
Yes. You cant do it online, but the phone call should take less than 2 minutes.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Originally Posted by swag
Yes. You cant do it online, but the phone call should take less than 2 minutes.
Thanks so much!!! You were right, success!!! ^
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:06 am

I've requested a SWU from Y to J and am waitlisted. First portion is on BA, the rest on AA metal domestically. Looking at the booking on BA's system, they show the SWU requested segment (AA flight) as separate legs, both Economy and Business class, but the same flight. Is this a sign the SWU may be accepted, or just BAs system of both requested class designations?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:29 pm

Apologies for asking a question for which I should know the answer.

I have an award ticket reservation from LAX>EWR in early March. I'm using NYC as my stopover city for a few months before continuing on from JFK>LHR in early June.

AA just send me an email informing me of a flight change to the LAX>EWR flight. Instead of flying direct, I'm now routing through and changing planes in ORD and will be arriving at EWR 90 minutes later than my original itinerary. Given that I need to be in Connecticut for a meeting later that evening, would I have any chance of switching my arrival city from EWR to BDL? I know that it normally wouldn't work because of the stopover rules, but given that AA made this change.... I'm guessing that the answer is "no" but figured I'd check here before calling AA.

I should also note that flying into JFK does not work as I'm meeting others at EWR before departing for Connecticut.

Last edited by chrisvt; Feb 3, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Question regarding seat selection for an AA codeshare on BA metal. I was told that as AA GLD can I pre-select seats 1 week before departure. If so, can I do this via my account on AA.com or must I call in to the reservations desk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.