Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

There's no way we can really answer your question; it depends on available seats to move to upgrade inventory, etc. You might want to check this thread: 2014 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Originally Posted by Lia Guerra
Hi, I just booked a trip to Brazil with my two boys, 3 and 4 year olds. Used miles to upgrade to biz class. EWR-MIA-CNF and CNF-MIA-JFK. Only I didn't get an upgrade myself on flight out of MIA-CNF. I was put on a waiting list. What are my chances that upgrade will clear up? Im current platinum aadvantage. Thank you.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:54 pm

Thanks - that's helpful (and yes, my the trip is multi-city - AZ/OZ/NY/AZ) and all the domestic flights are AA.

One other question. When looking at the quantas flights on AA it looks like you can't reserve your seat. Any insights on how you book a seat (I can't do a middle seat to OZ).

Thanks again!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by coug914
One other question. When looking at the quantas flights on AA it looks like you can't reserve your seat. Any insights on how you book a seat (I can't do a middle seat to OZ).
Call AA, ask the AAgent for the QF record locator number. With that locator in hand, you can go to qantas.com and reserve seats or you can call Qantas and do it over the phone.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Lia Guerra
EWR-MIA-CNF and CNF-MIA-JFK. Only I didn't get an upgrade myself on flight out of MIA-CNF. I was put on a waiting list. What are my chances that upgrade will clear up?
Originally Posted by JDiver
There's no way we can really answer your question; it depends on available seats to move to upgrade inventory, etc.
JDiver is correct; we won't be able to tell you with certainty what your chances of clearing the upgrade are, but if we knew the date and flight number, we could likely give you a much better sense, especially if the flight is not too far in the future.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:03 am

just got my AA advantage number Monday

Hello
I am brand new to flyertalk and to frequent flying. I just applied for a AAdvantage card with citi to get the bonus miles and to get miles while on the ground.
I was hoping to get some advice on how to stock up FF miles.
What's do you recommend a newbie like myself?

Thank you very much
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by brandonaweaver
Hello
I am brand new to flyertalk and to frequent flying. I just applied for a AAdvantage card with citi to get the bonus miles and to get miles while on the ground.
I was hoping to get some advice on how to stock up FF miles.
What's do you recommend a newbie like myself?

Thank you very much
Hope you used the AA Citi Card thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-first-99.html

Get another AA Citi card.
Buy AAmiles with bonuses.
Do MR's.
Vanilla card.
AA mileage multiplier.
Get US Air card. Use thread and only those links.
Fly UA using new double mile bonus and hope the US miles transfer to AA.

Last edited by zznoname; Jan 15, 2014 at 10:17 am
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Why does it take so long for posted miles to be availavle for awards?

Back in November of 2013 I took advantage of the 60 RDMs per dollar deal to buy some magazines.

In my, January statement 15000 miles finally posted from the magazine subscriptions.

However my "Total Available Award Mileage" is still 15000 miles short. I am guessing that in February these miles will be available.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:32 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by mre5765
Back in November of 2013 I took advantage of the 60 RDMs per dollar deal to buy some magazines.

In my, January statement 15000 miles finally posted from the magazine subscriptions.

However my "Total Available Award Mileage" is still 15000 miles short. I am guessing that in February these miles will be available.
Miles are available when they post. If there is a discrepancy call aa and get the actual balance. Aa.com had been wonky for a few months
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I have a few questions concerning a connection at LAX from an AA mainline flight from DFW to an American Eagle flight to RNO operated by SkyWest with a CRJ-200 (2600 series flight number).....

1) It appears the AA Eagle flight from LAX to RNO does not depart from Terminal 4 but instead may depart from a remote terminal. Is this correct?

2) If this AA Eagle flight does indeed depart from a remote terminal at LAX, it also appears there is a shuttle bus service from Terminal 4 to this remote terminal. What gate at Terminal 4 does this shuttle bus depart from?

3) I also take it one does not have to re-clear security between Terminal 4 and the remote terminal in question. Correct?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by jlemon
I have a few questions concerning a connection at LAX from an AA mainline flight from DFW to an American Eagle flight to RNO operated by SkyWest with a CRJ-200 (2600 series flight number).....

1) It appears the AA Eagle flight from LAX to RNO does not depart from Terminal 4 but instead may depart from a remote terminal. Is this correct?

2) If this AA Eagle flight does indeed depart from a remote terminal at LAX, it also appears there is a shuttle bus service from Terminal 4 to this remote terminal. What gate at Terminal 4 does this shuttle bus depart from?

3) I also take it one does not have to re-clear security between Terminal 4 and the remote terminal in question. Correct?

Thanks in advance!
1. Correct. Affectionately referred to as the "Eagle's Nest."
2. 44.
3. Correct. No need to re-clear security.

Shuttle takes ~5-20 minutes depending on the wait. The close up tarmac level views of planes are kind of neat.

Last edited by SFOPhD; Jan 15, 2014 at 11:23 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
JDiver is correct; we won't be able to tell you with certainty what your chances of clearing the upgrade are, but if we knew the date and flight number, we could likely give you a much better sense, especially if the flight is not too far in the future.
Thank you. I am flying april 8, coming back may11.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

There's no way we can really answer your question; it depends on available seats to move to upgrade inventory, etc. You might want to check this thread: 2014 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)
Thank you. I posted on thread you suggested. Hoping for good news.

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 16, 2014 at 8:34 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PLAT
what's the best way to obtain upgrade awards? (miles+copay)

I am trying to purchase a flight in coach for my significant other (non-elite), that can be upgraded to business (MAD-DFW) for a flight at the end of March.

I have a subscription to Expert Flyer, which shows
"J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 G7 S7 N7 Q7 O7" which honestly, I don't really know how to interpret, because I thought the award upgrade to business buckets were "C", per the upgrade wiki , which is not listed.

Also, will he be subject to being bumped out because he's non-elite?

Thank you!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
1. Correct. Affectionately referred to as the "Eagle's Nest."
2. 44.
3. Correct. No need to re-clear security.

Shuttle takes ~5-20 minutes depending on the wait. The close up tarmac level views of planes are kind of neat.
Very much appreciated!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
Hi. Quick question. I'm travelling Saturday and had to purchase a BA ticket for the first time. Flying HRE-JNB-LHR-DFW. All segments are on BA metal except the LHR-DFW which is on the AA 777-300 at 9:45am (BA flight 1504). Since it's a BA ticket, how can I upgrade this segment. I've used my Aadvantange number when booking, I've a ton of SWUs, and loads of AA miles. ExPlat desk says I'm out if luck. What can I do? This would be the first LHR-DFW trip in Y if I can't get it figured out. Thank you.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:24 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by maggie08
I have a subscription to Expert Flyer, which shows
"J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 G7 S7 N7 Q7 O7" which honestly, I don't really know how to interpret, because I thought the award upgrade to business buckets were "C", per the upgrade wiki , which is not listed.
The award and upgrade classes for AA are only available via the Award & Upgrade search tool, not the Flight Availability search you quoted. If you specified AA as the only airline in the search you did, you'll see at the top of the Flight Availability results page a link "Search for Awards & Upgrades for ..." or just go to the Award & Upgrade search directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.