Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:35 am

I am looking to redeem an domestic economy short haul AA flight using BA Avios. However, there is no award availability for the dates I need. Is it likely that award availability will change? Do you think it would be wise for me to subscribe to expertflyer and track the availability.

So far only overpriced economy tickets are being sold on this flight.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by ktkw
I am looking to redeem an domestic economy short haul AA flight using BA Avios. However, there is no award availability for the dates I need. Is it likely that award availability will change? Do you think it would be wise for me to subscribe to expertflyer and track the availability.

So far only overpriced economy tickets are being sold on this flight.

Thanks!
It vastly depends on the particular route and date. Try posting that info and asking again here.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by HNL
Unlike Star, OW allows lounge access for the duration of your same day journey. So if flying RDU-MIA-SJO one would have access to the AC in RDU and MIA. Were this a Star flight it would only be permitted at MIA.

Here is the full Lounge Access Policy

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.

Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be traveling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when traveling between an international long haul* and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa). (* a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours)
Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.

The following exception applies:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when traveling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean) other than the exception listed below:

Customers traveling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.
This is confusing.

*A does allow lounge access. For example if I fly IAD-CLT as a *G I have access to LH lounge in IAD as well as a US Club member I have access to LH lounge.

What I am asking here is the following:

1. Itinerary is completely domestic (within US).
2. I am flying AA and have EXP/Emerald status.
3. I have AA Club pass.

Q: Do I have access to OW lounge (other than AA) in US (say BA) based on either #2 or #3?

Hope this is clearer.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by iztok
This is confusing.

*A does allow lounge access. For example if I fly IAD-CLT as a *G I have access to LH lounge in IAD as well as a US Club member I have access to LH lounge.

3. I have AA Club pass.

Q: Do I have access to OW lounge (other than AA) in US (say BA) based on either #2 or #3?

Hope this is clearer.
A: Not my knowledge, sorry.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
This is confusing.

3. I have AA Club pass.

Hope this is clearer.
Nope. EXP does not grant any lounge access on completely domestic itineraries, not even to the Admirals Clubs or US Clubs.

As an Admirals Club or US Club member, you can of course use any AC or US club, but not any other oneworld airline clubs. Again EXP doesn't matter here.

Now if you were an Emerald as part of a foreign program (say a BA Gold member) traveling on a domestic itinerary, then you could access other oneworld lounges. AA's PLT and EXP are specifically called out as exceptions to this rule when flying domestic US itineraries.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Thank you for the explanation. I guess this is a downgrade compared to *A
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Thank you for the explanation. I guess this is a downgrade compared to *A
You are technically correct, but for 99% of travelers, this is a Star Alliance benefit that is rarely used. Practically, it's hard to find a domestic alliance lounge that is easy to access because most are in international terminals not convenient during domestic travel. As a UA 1K I think I accessed an alliance lounge during domestic travel once ever.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:46 pm

DL Gold vs AA Gold?

I'm an SLC-based SkyMiles Gold member who is getting pretty tired of all of the petty devaluations. The inability to take my wife into the Sky Club beginning in May might have been the final straw.

While I live in a Delta hub city, my destinations dictate that I usually have to make a connection and upgrades are non-existent for Golds on the hub-to-hub routes I spend much of my time on.

With the merger, SLC now has service on AA/US to LAX, PHX, DFW, ORD, CLT, and PHL. I could get around fairly efficiently using their network.

I'm currently SkyMiles Gold owing to the EQM boost I get from the Amex Delta Reserve card. With the Citi AA Executive card, my boost would only be 10,000 miles which, combined with my travel patterns, would mean I'd consistently be AAdvantage Gold (which, I'm aware, is AA's entry-level elite tier).

Point-earning and elite benefits are important to me, but so is the onboard product. This is one thing that Delta has really improved in recent years.

What feedback would you have to offer me as I contemplate this decision?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:58 pm

I booked a RT non-stop award flight through AA on LY (LAX to TLV). My understanding is that if I want to keep origin/destination the same and change the flight to go through JFK so that I am using both AA (LAX to JFK) and LY (JFK-TLV) I will need to pay the milage redeposit fee because I am changing carriers.

does anyone know if this is correct?

TIA
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
I am a long time NWA/Delta flyer, and I just gain PLAT status from a very generous challenge last year. Now, I'm on the verge of booking a fairly decent flight YYZ-LHR-DXB-LHR-JFK-YYZ (6 full days in DXB) for $694. I have the itinerary on hold currently. I notice the flights are all British Airways except the last JFK-YYZ flight. I've spent a little time playing with schedules and connections trying to get more miles (i.e. routing through ORD and LAX, as suggested in the MR forum post for this deal). However, for the dates that work for me (i.e. maximizing days at my destination and minimizing days out of office), I was not able to add any significant mileage without adding much more cost to the fare.

My questions:

1. The tickets are all "class O", and most of them are on BA. Should i worry about not getting the right status qualifying miles? Should I ask for another class if thats the case? (I know there are lots of complexities with United and now Delta partners not getting full/any qualifying miles)
A: I get full miles.

2. When I flew with Delta, as a PLAT, I had access to international lounges when I flew international (even in economy). Is that the case with AA?
As a PLAT, I should be able to get in all the AA longes for this trip.

3. Do I get preferred seating (i.e. economy comfort or main cabin extra?) on the transcon BA flights? How do I select these seats online?

3. For several of my flights (LHR-JFK for example), I picked the shortest layover possible. I always hope for being able to be bumped for $$vouchers. As a PLAT, do I get any preferred consideration for this activity? (i.e. if there is a bunch of people who volunteer, what is the order of acceptance based on?)

4. I have a paper voucher (from a previous bump) that I want to use. I understand that I have to call in to get my ticket. Do I have to pay the phone ticketing fee? (as a PLAT and/or using a paper voucher)

Last edited by chunky649; Jan 14, 2014 at 4:12 am Reason: I answered some of my own questions...
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by chunky649
1. The tickets are all "class O", and most of them are on BA. Should i worry about not getting the right status qualifying miles? Should I ask for another class if thats the case? (I know there are lots of complexities with United and now Delta partners not getting full/any qualifying miles)
A: I get full miles.
Correct you get full EQM (elite qualifying miles), however you only receive 0.5 EQP (elite qualifying points).

2. When I flew with Delta, as a PLAT, I had access to international lounges when I flew international (even in economy). Is that the case with AA?
As a PLAT, I should be able to get in all the AA longes for this trip.
As a PLT you'll have access to all OW business class lounges (first class lounges are excluded)

3. Do I get preferred seating (i.e. economy comfort or main cabin extra?) on the transcon BA flights? How do I select these seats online?
On BA, Premium economy is a separate class of service, so this won't be available to you. Plats do get to choose seats for free immediately upon booking (non status pax have to pay, or choose seats for free upon check-in at T-24).

3. For several of my flights (LHR-JFK for example), I picked the shortest layover possible. I always hope for being able to be bumped for $$vouchers. As a PLAT, do I get any preferred consideration for this activity? (i.e. if there is a bunch of people who volunteer, what is the order of acceptance based on?)
For VDB, Elite Status holders tend to have priority, but there isn't a rule for this.

I don't see you booking short layovers helping you much with vouchers though. There's just more chance of you missing your flight and then being out on the next one.

Keep in mind that you have to switch terminals at JFK, I hope you made sure to book a long enough layover. (especially on the return, as you have to go through Customs and Immigration upon arrival at JFK)
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PhillyInvestor
I'm an SLC-based SkyMiles Gold member who is getting pretty tired of all of the petty devaluations. The inability to take my wife into the Sky Club beginning in May might have been the final straw.

While I live in a Delta hub city, my destinations dictate that I usually have to make a connection and upgrades are non-existent for Golds on the hub-to-hub routes I spend much of my time on.

With the merger, SLC now has service on AA/US to LAX, PHX, DFW, ORD, CLT, and PHL. I could get around fairly efficiently using their network.

I'm currently SkyMiles Gold owing to the EQM boost I get from the Amex Delta Reserve card. With the Citi AA Executive card, my boost would only be 10,000 miles which, combined with my travel patterns, would mean I'd consistently be AAdvantage Gold (which, I'm aware, is AA's entry-level elite tier).

Point-earning and elite benefits are important to me, but so is the onboard product. This is one thing that Delta has really improved in recent years.

What feedback would you have to offer me as I contemplate this decision?
Others can provide more informed responses, but at least from what I can see, I don't think you'd regret it. AA'd entry-level tier (GLD) is still quite worthwhile IMO, and AFAIK more generous than either Silver Medallion or Premier Silver. 2 free bags, MCE free at 24h, PriorityAAcess, 25% bonus miles - not a bad deal. And keep in mind if your AA flying will involve connections, your segments will add up - so you probably won't have too much trouble qualifying for PLT. Might work out well for you. Keep in mind no UDUs on AA (yet), so you'll have to use stickers - but I cleared around 50% last yr as a GLD so it's still quite doable.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:31 am

AA codeshare on Quantas

Hi everyone -

I have gold status on AA and need to go to Australia for a meeting. I'm having a hard time understanding the mileage award. This wiki (http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...and_Points_(AA)) suggests that if I book the Quantas flight through AA I'll get full miles. I called the gold help desk (not very helpful btw) and she said I'd only get 25% of the miles.

The flight I'm thinking of booking is listed on AA site as "American Airlines Operated by Quantas Airlines (7356 from LAX to MEL).

Any guidance or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:21 am

Upgrade chances

Hi, I just booked a trip to Brazil with my two boys, 3 and 4 year olds. Used miles to upgrade to biz class. EWR-MIA-CNF and CNF-MIA-JFK. Only I didn't get an upgrade myself on flight out of MIA-CNF. I was put on a waiting list. What are my chances that upgrade will clear up? Im current platinum aadvantage. Thank you.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

How much you earn on Qantas ("U" put the "u" in Quantas ) depends on the fare class paid for. See here.

If you fly the flight in question as an AA codeshare (connecting from an AA flight, most likely because you connected from AA in the US and purchased it that way) you would earn as if you were flying on American (see here).

So, if you can buy it as "AA 7356 operated by Qantas Airways" you earn as if you were flying AA; if you purchased it as a QF flight, say in fare class "N" you would earn 50% of the Base Miles flown (50% EQM), and if you could purchase it in "O" or "Q" you would earn 25%.

Originally Posted by coug914
Hi everyone -

I have gold status on AA and need to go to Australia for a meeting. I'm having a hard time understanding the mileage award. This wiki (http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...and_Points_(AA)) suggests that if I book the Quantas flight through AA I'll get full miles. I called the gold help desk (not very helpful btw) and she said I'd only get 25% of the miles.

The flight I'm thinking of booking is listed on AA site as "American Airlines Operated by Quantas Airlines (7356 from LAX to MEL).

Any guidance or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.