Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

16 Apr 2013: AA computers down systemwide, many flights etc. affected

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

On April 16, 2013, AA suffered widespread problems (bookings, changes, aircraft holds and cancellations) caused by an HP-owned communications link breakdown. Many travellers were affected by cancelled or extensively delayed flights; this thread was dedicated to providing as current information as possible to members involved, and extraneous comments were suppressed by deletion and members asked to hew to strict informational guidelines.

The original wikipost can be read in the first post's Moderator Note.

Those still travelling and affected were advised to read this post this post.

The thread relating to proactive and related compensation provided to distressed / affected flyers as a result of the 16 Apr 2013 events can be read here.
Print Wikipost

16 Apr 2013: AA computers down systemwide, many flights etc. affected

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to AA, it's back up as of 4:10pm EDT and flights should be operating by 5:00pm EDT:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...elays/2087931/
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Im at LGA now and flights are slowly starting to depart. Overall the general feeling was helplessness as no one knew when systems would come back online and no one can rebook. I have a connecting flight in DFW and no one can tell me the status of that flight. Im not a happy camper but the admirals club kept up a steady supply of house booze to keep me calm and buzzed.

Kudos to the AA ground staff to get flights up in the air as soon as systems went back up. All the staff have been courteous and professional. Boarding flight 759 from LGA to DFW now.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
3:30 PM CDT from AA - also note Ground Stop may be extended until 7:00PM CDT

Originally Posted by AA FaceBook
As of 3:30pm CDT, our systems have been fully restored, however we expect continued flight delays and cancellations throughout the remainder of the day. We have made several options available to our customers:

If customers must travel today and are already at the airport, they can rebook on another airline by visiting an American Airlines agent or by going to the other airline’s ticket counter with their electronic ticket number.

If customers must travel today and are not yet at the airport, they can rebook through American Airlines reservations or through another carrier and American will honor the fare difference.

If a customer chooses not to travel today, there will be no charge for reservation changes or a full refund will be provided.

It is important to note we see no evidence that today’s technical outage is related to the tragic events in Boston.

We will continue to provide more information throughout the day as we make progress in resolving this issue. We apologize to our customers and our people for this inconvenience.
Miami Herald: "At American's hub in Miami, The Miami Herald reports that landing AA flights have run out of available gates since none of the airline's departures are taking off."

Some sources are stating the ground stop has been extended - but OTOH, there are reports of flights being authorized and launched.

Knock-on effects are predicted through tomorrow, according to Daniel Baker in USA Today article.

Originally Posted by USA Today in part
"This is a major outage for American and is the longest flight disruption as a result of a failure of an airline's back-end technology in recent history," FlightAware CEO Daniel Baker says to Today in the Sky. "It is likely to affect over 125,000 travelers today and tomorrow. ...

FlightAware says most of the AA's delays and cancellations have come on flights to or from AA's main hub at Dallas/Fort Worth, though Chicago O'Hare, Miami and New York LaGuardia had also seen significant problems.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 16, 2013 at 3:17 pm
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by littlemookie
Im not a happy camper but the admirals club kept up a steady supply of house booze to keep me calm and buzzed.
The gals at the JFK AC I'm at seem to be generous with the "premium" drink chits today, understandably.

Latest is that a couple flights have begun boarding. They said they will make an announcement in the AC when flights are ready. Already cancelled a few (TPA, RDU, et al).
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:12 pm

I was told that my ticket can be refunded, but they would not pay for a fare difference. I was looking at a 900 dollar flight and couldn't risk it. I just don't see AA paying fare differentials. Maybe if I spent significant time and effort I would probably get the fare difference refunded, but it wouldn't be easy. In the end it was a 2.5 hour delay, I rebooked my ABQ connecting flight (original 8pm departure was cancelled, but I had booked the last flight out several hours ago thinking that that might happen) and hopefully my vacation can finally begin.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That kind of flies in the face of AA's announcement, including

"If customers must travel today and are already at the airport, they can rebook on another airline by visiting an American Airlines agent or by going to the other airline’s ticket counter with their electronic ticket number.

If customers must travel today and are not yet at the airport, they can rebook through American Airlines reservations or through another carrier and American will honor the fare difference.

If a customer chooses not to travel today, there will be no charge for reservation changes or a full refund will be provided."

I was told that my ticket can be refunded, but they would not pay for a fare difference. I was looking at a 900 dollar flight and couldn't risk it. I just don't see AA paying fare differentials. Maybe if I spent significant time and effort I can probably get the fare difference refunded, but it will not be easy.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told that my ticket can be refunded, but they would not pay for a fare difference. I was looking at a 900 dollar flight and couldn't risk it. I just don't see AA paying fare differentials. Maybe if I spent significant time and effort I can probably get the fare difference refunded, but it will not be easy.
Published reports seem to indicate that AA would get you there, even on another carrier, even if fares were higher:

If customers must travel today and are already at the airport, they can rebook on another airline by visiting an American Airlines agent or by going to the other airline’s ticket counter with their electronic ticket number.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...or-takeoff.ece

JDiver beat me to it - but gently, firmly, push back, as AA has said the opposite of what you were told.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium and lifetime PLT
posting from 34k feet enroute from DFW to MEX.

the issue was handled well at the D terminal AC but not well handled at the gate...they herded us on around 2:CST and we hung out on the plane for 2 hours in a 90 plus degree sweatbox with zero communication. I was not a happy camper

I understand these issues, but come on AA, all the pilot et al need to do is update us! what does it take...15 seconds?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
"Thank you for calling. Your estimated hold time is... one hour and 39 minutes

Three PIT-ORD flights are still stacked up here. They are having problems getting fuel on the planes.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by FWAAA
According to AA, it's back up as of 4:10pm EDT and flights should be operating by 5:00pm EDT:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...elays/2087931/
Saw on foxnews.com, 530pm EDT.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:20 pm

Do I need to prove that I must travel today?

If this was a business trip, then no question I would book another carrier and get to my meeting. This trip is personal and I just didnt want to take the chance.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do I need to prove that I must travel today?

If this was a business trip, then no question I would book another carrier and get to my meeting. This trip is personal and I just didnt want to take the chance.
You don't want to be booking with another carrier yourself - that's a guaranteed way to make sure that AA won't cover the expense - you want to do what the published news report said and that's take you electronic ticket number to an AA agent and have the agent book you on another carrier.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by billbarilko
posting from 34k feet enroute from DFW to MEX.

the issue was handled well at the D terminal AC but not well handled at the gate...they herded us on around 2:CST and we hung out on the plane for 2 hours in a 90 plus degree sweatbox with zero communication. I was not a happy camper

I understand these issues, but come on AA, all the pilot et al need to do is update us! what does it take...15 seconds?
Maybe you will get compensation for the delay, 2 hours seems like a long time to just sit
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I was told that my ticket can be refunded, but they would not pay for a fare difference. I was looking at a 900 dollar flight and couldn't risk it. I just don't see AA paying fare differentials. Maybe if I spent significant time and effort I would probably get the fare difference refunded, but it wouldn't be easy. In the end it was a 2.5 hour delay, I rebooked my ABQ connecting flight (original 8pm departure was cancelled, but I had booked the last flight out several hours ago thinking that that might happen) and hopefully my vacation can finally begin.
As JDiver remarked in his post, AA will not require the fare differential. If you need to push back to AA, tell them it's on their website. The link is

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...!travelNotices
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:30 pm

@ BWI

My flight to MIA is delayed until 8:45pm (from 5:40pm), so not terrible for me.

Earlier flight to DFW was cancelled. One gate agent is processing these folks, but all the pax are being shockingly civil.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.