Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

16 Apr 2013: AA computers down systemwide, many flights etc. affected

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

On April 16, 2013, AA suffered widespread problems (bookings, changes, aircraft holds and cancellations) caused by an HP-owned communications link breakdown. Many travellers were affected by cancelled or extensively delayed flights; this thread was dedicated to providing as current information as possible to members involved, and extraneous comments were suppressed by deletion and members asked to hew to strict informational guidelines.

The original wikipost can be read in the first post's Moderator Note.

Those still travelling and affected were advised to read this post this post.

The thread relating to proactive and related compensation provided to distressed / affected flyers as a result of the 16 Apr 2013 events can be read here.
Print Wikipost

16 Apr 2013: AA computers down systemwide, many flights etc. affected

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
DFW-MIA-EZE

My flight from SFO landed at DFW on time & we deplaned without any problems; Arrivals & Departures boards appeared to be posting correctly. It wasn't until I reached the club that I found out there was an issue with AA computers. Right now they are instructing pax's to go to their gates at the posted boarding time & assume their flights will be leaving on time. Hope this computer malfunction doesn't further extend this already very long flight day!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by DJTim
The SABER outage is big enough that it's hit the major news outlets (Fox, CNN, CBS, NBC).

This isn't going to be an easy day at the office for the AA folks....
What will be interesting will be how they handle not only possible irrops, but also the tone set afterward. When this happened to UA, they were basically unapologetic. I'm hoping AA will do better.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
There is a nationwide ground stop for all AA mainline flights until 2PM eastern, and ground stops for AA flights to DFW and ORD until 2:30 eastern.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, DL SM, HH Gold, SPG Gold
At JFK

AA 003 JFK-LAX 12pm flight is still at the gate, boarded and closed. The captain of my flight AA 117 just walked out, started fussing with the computers then walked elsewhere, clearly frustrated with the state of things.

No delays have been announced amazingly.

Just heard a page "will the flight crew from flight 3 please return to gate 38" - good news?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by oopsz
Boarded our eagle flight in AEX but not going anywhere. So far delayed an hour.
Spoke too soon, they've deplaned us due to a "company wide ground stop".
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:47 am

AA 816 FLL to ORD. We were On the runway almost home free, but then alas called back to the gate. The pilot is offering tours of the cockpit. Most people left the plane, but the plane is actually way more comfortable than anything in the terminal. So it's just me and a handful of pax here.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:54 am

Nothing on AA.com regarding the problem. The only way I found out was via Facebook. You can still book and reserve fine on AA.com
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Here at IAH, we have just been informed of a company wide ground stop until at least 3:00pm DFW time.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: All of them...
AA.com looks up to me, and I can book flights in my Sabre system
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:07 pm

ord

Still sitting on the plane at ORD since 1045. No light at the end of the tunnel. The captain isnt even on the plane
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
Phew - I got lucky! Flew the SFO-ORD redeye last night and then the early morning flight today from ORD-RDU. Left ORD at 7:15 AM CDT this morning on-time. I must have just missed all the fun.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
At DFW now, we basically took a tour of the whole airport without a word from the flight deck, now we are sitting in a LONG line waiting for a gate...
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:19 pm

AA.com updated
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Where? I see nothing about flight disruptions on aa.com on the home page or in their news section.

Are you talking about the little blurb at the top of the home page. If so that was there yesterday.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Where? I see nothing about flight disruptions on aa.com on the home page or in their news section.

Are you talking about the little blurb at the top of the home page. If so that was there yesterday.
The gray bar up at the top and saying: "American's reservation system is experiencing intermittent outages. We are working to resolve the issue and apologize for any inconvenience. Please use AA.com to check gates and times."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.