Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

16 Apr 2013: AA computers down systemwide, many flights etc. affected

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

On April 16, 2013, AA suffered widespread problems (bookings, changes, aircraft holds and cancellations) caused by an HP-owned communications link breakdown. Many travellers were affected by cancelled or extensively delayed flights; this thread was dedicated to providing as current information as possible to members involved, and extraneous comments were suppressed by deletion and members asked to hew to strict informational guidelines.

The original wikipost can be read in the first post's Moderator Note.

Those still travelling and affected were advised to read this post this post.

The thread relating to proactive and related compensation provided to distressed / affected flyers as a result of the 16 Apr 2013 events can be read here.
Print Wikipost

16 Apr 2013: AA computers down systemwide, many flights etc. affected

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
My wife is on SFO-ORD #2010. Sat on the plane for 2 hours and just de-planed. She was told could be another 2 hrs....
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:39 pm

AA now admitting it is not Sabre but AA systems.

Via Facebook: :"
Clarification: The issue is with American’s ability to access its reservations system & not with Sabre. We apologize to Sabre and customers for any confusion."

Someone's got some explaining to do
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, OnePass, MileagePlus
I think what AA isnt saying is that there was a Sabre DECS outage in addition to RES. When DECS is out, dispatch loses the ability to flight follow and by FARs the company must groundstop the company flights until dispatch can flight follow again. Flights in the air operate on the captain's emergency authority though it is not an emergency situation.

If RES is down, it shouldnt cause a company groundstop. There are ways to do manual weight and balance and manually check in passengers.

When DECS is out, dispatch cant flight follow or send dispatch releases. Without dispatch releases, there is no fuel load, flight plan and not authorization for that flight to operate legally.

When DECS is out, the company doesnt have any quick way to post delays since delays get posted through DECS.

AA and AE have a Sabre backup system but it is very difficult to dispatch flights and flight follow with it. The company basically grounds to a halt until the company can get organized to do the back up flight following and dispatch release system. If the problem wasnt expected to take long to fix, the company will likely just groundstop for a while because if they had to go to the DECS back up system, there would be massive cancelations. The amount of releases and flights a dispatcher can follow will be a fraction of a normal day.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:40 pm

And update at 2:40pm EST:

UPDATE: We are now in a system-wide ground delay until 4:00pm CT as we work to resolve this issue. We apologize for any inconvenience.

NOT GOOD!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:46 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
CNBC reporting a voluntary ground stop of all domestic AA flights at request of AA until 5:00 pm EDT

(AppAArently since confirmed on AA's twitter feed.)

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 16, 2013 at 12:55 pm
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors DIA
I'm at CMH and was the next guy in line for bags when the system froze (just before 12pm here). Kiosks were still up and running, but they started hand tagging bags. Supposedly still on time here but who knows if they are grounding everything right now.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by goteed1
AA 816 FLL to ORD. We were On the runway almost home free, but then alas called back to the gate. The pilot is offering tours of the cockpit. Most people left the plane, but the plane is actually way more comfortable than anything in the terminal. So it's just me and a handful of pax here.

Kudos to that pilot for coming up with a creative way to distract people. I actually wish I was on that flight, would be a cool experience!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by PlateMan
AA now admitting it is not Sabre but AA systems.

Via Facebook: :"
Clarification: The issue is with American’s ability to access its reservations system & not with Sabre. We apologize to Sabre and customers for any confusion."

Someone's got some explaining to do
What it means is that a communication link went down. This is almost always the case in such situations. Sabre itself didn't have a crash, but AA's communication link for departure control. That falls under HP's responsibility to resolve.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
This is what I get for trying to fly to LHR in paid biz on a 77W..

I'm going to end up in BA CW, aren't I. Sigh.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Stuck as well waiting for my flight to DFW. A general push of all flights (whether it is 5 or 6pm eastern now) is interesting, but unless the system comes back up, I am not sure what that means. It might be better than having people wait around the gate to just try and 'reset', but there must be other concerns (crew time outs, ability to handle the amount of planes not in the air at the hubs, the actual ability to restart getting flights out).

Rasheed
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I've wondered the same as well.
LOL.. how ridiculous. A communication link failed. it's not that uncommon.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Here in CMH, they have cancelled 4 AE flights (I presume they were the CMH-ORD flights for the rest of the day). Still waiting to see if I can get on the 4:20 to DFW, stand-by, rather than waiting for my originally scheduled 7:10 flight to DFW...

Fingers crossed,
--woodstock
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:17 pm

Sorry this is more trivial than what those of you traveling today are experiencing, but I have to ask: I have an award res (a coveted award on CX) that expires tonight, and of course can only be booked by phone. Any chance it will be extended automatically, assuming that even when the system comes back up, it will be impossible to get through tonight? Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
It is not unreasonable to suspect hackers. Just as possible as a massive IT fail
Yes, in this case is is fairly unreasonable. I've worked for Sabre. When these kind of things happen, it's is almost invariably one of the communication links fails due to faulty hardware.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:18 pm

The news in Dallas is showing 2 robots used for bomb detection searching founders plaza north of dfw airport. Grondstop related perhaps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.