Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ihavebeenseen
See Delta for the money requirements. This is bound to happen eventually at AA.
Yeah-good luck.
I have a US address to take advantage of more promotions but if it's like DL then I'll just move my address to my real one.
If it affects Canada then I have an HKID to fall back on.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Also at risk are my favorite fuel dumps-if AA goes US style
Will you be writing AA to let them know your views on this issue?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
Will you be writing AA to let them know your views on this issue?
I won't mention that point, of course not.
Besides, I don't want my flt activity to be seen by anyone, so I won't write them at all.
(Though under IATA guidelines they can only issue ADM for unflown ticketed itins or itins flown within past 9 months, but even that amount is significant.)
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by CatotheCat
1. What is an AA "upgrade instrument"? On US, there are no such things. The system automatically upgrades you without any intervention, instruments, coupons, noting.
On international flights, too?

I don't care about bonus miles. I care about sitting in first class. I'd take zero bonus miles if the program gave me a 95% chance of riding up front, like US's program does now.
As a midtier flyer, you'll need those extra miles and a copay for international flights if you're buying coach tickets with AA. How do you upgrade your international flights as a midtier US flyer?

Tom in Berlin
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B143 Safari/8536.25)

AA has taken how much you spend into consideration for years. It's called EQPs.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B143 Safari/8536.25)

AA has taken how much you spend into consideration for years. It's called EQPs.
It is more about getting the cheap elites into the back of the plane where they belong.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
It is more about getting the cheap elites into the back of the plane where they belong.
No, it is about balance. A few years ago I bought mostly bottom dollar tickets. But AA was good to me. So when it was time to drop like 15K on a couple RTW tickets in business, did I go to Delta? Now I buy a mix of discount and full or near full fare coach. If one airline treats me better on the cheap seats than another I'm likely to buy the expensive ones from them as well.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
No, it is about balance. A few years ago I bought mostly bottom dollar tickets. But AA was good to me. So when it was time to drop like 15K on a couple RTW tickets in business, did I go to Delta? Now I buy a mix of discount and full or near full fare coach. If one airline treats me better on the cheap seats than another I'm likely to buy the expensive ones from them as well.
That's why a flat $10k floor makes sense...it doesn't penalize you for booking a bunch of dirt cheap fares as long as you have enough of them. The current system is broken indeed and a DL-like floor is absolutely needed. Maybe $8k is the right amount rather than $10k, but to think that folks make EXP for $3k-$4k and take upgrades from those paying the airline tens of thousands a year is absurd.

And this system is way better than the UA way of doing it where your likelihood of upgrades is largely decided on what you do for them that very day...

Last edited by AAExPlat; Feb 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I'm a cheap elite, but I belong up front! Dunno about the rest of those cheapskates though ... you know who you are!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 6:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
That's why a flat $10k floor makes sense...it doesn't penalize you for booking a bunch of dirt cheap fares as long as you have enough of them. The current system is broken indeed and a DL-like floor is absolutely needed. Maybe $8k is the right amount rather than $10k, but to think that folks make EXP for $3k-$4k and take upgrades from those paying the airline tens of thousands a year is absurd.
Only if there are enough of the $3K-$4K EXPs to matter. I'd guess that there are not in any year without DEQM promos, but that's just a feeling.

Cheers.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by brp
Only if there are enough of the $3K-$4K EXPs to matter. I'd guess that there are not in any year without DEQM promos, but that's just a feeling.
You make a very good point. If downscale EXPs are a concern, the elimination of DEQM promotions should be the first fix.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Wouldn't making upgrades too dependable for high spend elites make them less likely to pay for premium fares? If EXPs getting upgraded on bargain basement fares is a problem, giving them a reason to take more trips would make it worse.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Wouldn't making upgrades too dependable for high spend elites make them less likely to pay for premium fares? If EXPs getting upgraded on bargain basement fares is a problem, giving them a reason to take more trips would make it worse.
Nope. Take a look at UA's PRASM growth since April 2012 and compare it to AA's. Upgrade rates are anything but inversely correlated to PRASM/Yield for the airline...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
I tend to agree. Unfortunately, AA has been pouring on the EXP lites via shedloads of promos in the last year to shore up their program/remain independent.

Originally Posted by dayone
You make a very good point. If downscale EXPs are a concern, the elimination of DEQM promotions should be the first fix.
Agreed 100%.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
PDB's

Originally Posted by Ritz
Wrong.
Two flights yesterday, SFO-DFW and DFW-FLL, no PDB's. None on the outbound flights a few days earlier either. FA's onboard said they were told that new inflight service standards would take the best of both from US and AA.

Hello Vegas, what are the odds on this one happening?

Last edited by MiamiFlyer; Feb 19, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.