Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 21, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Gold, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Hi,
AA Gold flying on a BA award ticket on AA metal.
Flight is booked for early morning (only flight available). Can I standby on a later flight?
What happens when I miss the original, does my ticket become void?
Old May 21, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum
DFW - FRA (Oktoberfest) Award or Buy?

New to flyertalk but have been ExPlat for a few years now. My husband and I are going to travel Germany during Oktoberfest 9/19 - 9/29 and I have a dilemma. I'd like to do the direct DFW - FRA but the only award available for Business is AAnytime - so for two people 400,000 miles. Don't quite have enough miles for that. The other option would be to buy the Coach ticket and hope for the System Wide Upgrade. (Did call AA and I'd be put on the upgrade list for this flight.)

Anyway, I don't want to get stuck buying the ticket and not getting upgraded when I could have used miles to get the coach seat for free anyway.

Thoughts? Advice? Is international Coach as bad as everyone says it is?

And just to double check, can only use the SWUs on non-award flights right?
Old May 21, 2013, 9:17 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jennifer Sammons
New to flyertalk but have been ExPlat for a few years now. My husband and I are going to travel Germany during Oktoberfest 9/19 - 9/29 and I have a dilemma. I'd like to do the direct DFW - FRA but the only award available for Business is AAnytime - so for two people 400,000 miles. Don't quite have enough miles for that. The other option would be to buy the Coach ticket and hope for the System Wide Upgrade. (Did call AA and I'd be put on the upgrade list for this flight.)

Anyway, I don't want to get stuck buying the ticket and not getting upgraded when I could have used miles to get the coach seat for free anyway.

Thoughts? Advice? Is international Coach as bad as everyone says it is?

And just to double check, can only use the SWUs on non-award flights right?
No SWUs on award flights.

I would look for other flights with award availability from the US to Europe and a connecting flight direct to Munich (even if you have to pay for the short Euro flight).

Check all the AA gateways to various cities in Europe. DFW, MIA, LAX, ORD, JFK, RDU. LHR, DUS, CDG, MAD, BCN, HEL, FCO, MXP

Good luck.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by dealvr1
Hi,
AA Gold flying on a BA award ticket on AA metal.
Flight is booked for early morning (only flight available). Can I standby on a later flight?
What happens when I miss the original, does my ticket become void?
You need to call in (not sure if you should call AA or BA, in this case) and tell them you want to standby for a later flight. If you do not, then your ticket will be cancelled when you miss your original flight.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by jerry305
I've got about 60,000 Amex Mileage Rewards points saved up.
(Promo: For US Amex cardholders, there is currently a promo bonus for converting MR to BA Avios. I haven't figured out if that applies to Canadian Mileage Rewards holders.)

My boss has about 120,000 RBC Avion points saved up.
(Promo: In July, there will be a promo bonus for converting RBC Avion to BA Avios.)

I can't make sense of the mileage conversions. There are some good blog posts about conversion successes, but I can't find any deals that get me out of YWG.

My expected flights are:
1. YWG to Europe, return, in late October. Upgraded classes would only be worth a 50% premium to me.
2. YWG to YVR, return, year round. Y class is acceptable.
(normally 25,000 Aeroplan)
3. YWG to YYZ, return, year round. Y class is acceptable.
(normally 15,000 Aeroplan)
4. YWG to Florida, return, in January. Y class is acceptable.
(normally ????? Aeroplan)

Should I convert MR to Avios?
Should my boss convert RBC Avion to Avios?

That is, will we get any great deals? Do you have good success stories?

If none of that works out, my wife and I together have about 100,000 Aeroplan, which don't expire for 6 years.

Thank you in advance!
I don't see any Oneworld flights out of YWG, but one possible interesting use of Avios is FAR-ORD-MCO (or TPA or RSW) for 24,000 Avios round trip. That way you clear customs and immigration or the ground in Pembina instead of having to handle your bags an extra time in the airport and clear customs there. MIA or EYW is an additional 5K Avios round trip.
FAR-ORD-DUB using AA and Aer Lingus is 49K roundtrip if you like the idea of using Ireland as a jumping off point for your Europe trip.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:23 pm

Hi guys!

I've finally reached 100K AA miles, no status. I would like to fly OW from LAX -> CDG in business class on an award, 50K miles each ticket (2 passengers). I'll find another way back. I've never flown business before.

With an international business award ticket, do I get access to any lounges @ LAX, LHR, CDG? Can I walk through the premium security/immigration lines? Any other benefits from flying business? I am excited about the business seat on the new 77W from LAX-LHR?

Thanks,
-WT
Old May 21, 2013, 1:09 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WaterTree
Hi guys!

I've finally reached 100K AA miles, no status. I would like to fly OW from LAX -> CDG in business class on an award, 50K miles each ticket (2 passengers). I'll find another way back. I've never flown business before.

With an international business award ticket, do I get access to any lounges @ LAX, LHR, CDG? Can I walk through the premium security/immigration lines? Any other benefits from flying business? I am excited about the business seat on the new 77W from LAX-LHR?

Thanks,
-WT
Lounges: Yes in LAX and LHR.
Priority Security Line: Yes
Extras?
Increased luggage allowance - 3 bags upto 70 pounds each.
Pre-order meals online 30 days prior to departure.
Enjoy the Bose QC15s Noise Canceling Headsets
Open Bar onboard
Old May 21, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by HNL
Lounges: Yes in LAX and LHR.
Priority Security Line: Yes
Extras?
Increased luggage allowance - 3 bags upto 70 pounds each.
Pre-order meals online 30 days prior to departure.
Enjoy the Bose QC15s Noise Canceling Headsets
Open Bar onboard
One of the best things I like in AA business / first is: Warm nuts and sometimes warm cookies
Old May 21, 2013, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by fromfall98
One of the best things I like in AA business / first is: Warm nuts and sometimes warm cookies
Thanks guys! Looking forward to the trip. Now, to figure out a way to get home in business. Time to churn the Citi AA card?

-WT
Old May 21, 2013, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by WaterTree
Hi guys!

Thanks,
-WT
Instead of flying LAX-XXX-CDG, you could also call AA and see if you can get 2 Business Class award seats on TN's LAX-CDG nonstop. (TN award availability cannot be checked at aa.com.)
Old May 21, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Originally Posted by HNL
No SWUs on award flights.

I would look for other flights with award availability from the US to Europe and a connecting flight direct to Munich (even if you have to pay for the short Euro flight).

Check all the AA gateways to various cities in Europe. DFW, MIA, LAX, ORD, JFK, RDU. LHR, DUS, CDG, MAD, BCN, HEL, FCO, MXP

Good luck.
Great advice. And even consider trains as well within continental Europe. Went to Oktoberfest last year. Had to meet my brother, cheapest option from DFW was to HAM - took a train to MUC after meeting him. Quick, efficient, cheap.

Good luck once again.
Old May 21, 2013, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Instead of flying LAX-XXX-CDG, you could also call AA and see if you can get 2 Business Class award seats on TN's LAX-CDG nonstop. (TN award availability cannot be checked at aa.com.)
Thanks, this is good information I'm looking for. This addresses my question about using AA miles to fly on non-AA metal. Part of me wonders if I should fly direct LAX-CDG, or, since flying on business award, try and find a 24 hour turn in Helsinki or Berlin, etc. Yes, it's more time on the plane and in airports, but it's an additional destination for 'free'.

But great suggestion. Are there other connections/airline partners that would allow me to route through different cities for ~24h layover: Stockholm, Venice, Milan, etc. For example, the AA flight I was looking at was LAX-LHR(18hrs in London)-HEL(24 hrs in Helsinki)-CDG. This takes two extra days but I get to spend time in both London and Finland.

-WT
Old May 21, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat; HH Gold; VP Cool Club
Not sure where else to ask this, so will post here...

I have two AA Flight Certificates for travel to anywhere in the 48 states and Canada. Travel must be ticketed by 11/30/2013, however, I don't believe I will be using them.

Any suggestions on where I can sell these? **I am not offering to sell here... just asking WHERE I can sell them***
Old May 21, 2013, 3:48 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RoccoBoom
Not sure where else to ask this, so will post here...

I have two AA Flight Certificates for travel to anywhere in the 48 states and Canada. Travel must be ticketed by 11/30/2013, however, I don't believe I will be using them.

Any suggestions on where I can sell these? **I am not offering to sell here... just asking WHERE I can sell them***
Craigs List
Old May 21, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Long story short, I was scheduled to fly CMI-ORD-SLC yesterday departing at 6 am with a 1.5 hour layover in ORD scheduled to get into SLC at 10:40. I got a call about 3 am saying that the cmi-ord leg was going to be 2 hours late. I quickly deduced that I would miss the connecting flight and promptly called AA to get rebooked. After speaking with a representative I learned that the delay was due to crew. They looked at their flights and even other carriers but nothing was available until 530 that night connecting through DFW arriving SLC at 1050. I asked them to book it and had myself removed from the CMI-ORD leg as it is relatively short and I have had some issues with MQ delaying and then canceling so I decided to take amtrak to CHI.

I am wondering if it would be worth asking customer service for compensation of some form of compensation as I didn't arrive into SLC until 12 hours after my scheduled arrival. If so, what should I expect/ask for?

Thank you

ZGSCL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.