FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old May 21, 2013, 9:17 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jennifer Sammons
New to flyertalk but have been ExPlat for a few years now. My husband and I are going to travel Germany during Oktoberfest 9/19 - 9/29 and I have a dilemma. I'd like to do the direct DFW - FRA but the only award available for Business is AAnytime - so for two people 400,000 miles. Don't quite have enough miles for that. The other option would be to buy the Coach ticket and hope for the System Wide Upgrade. (Did call AA and I'd be put on the upgrade list for this flight.)

Anyway, I don't want to get stuck buying the ticket and not getting upgraded when I could have used miles to get the coach seat for free anyway.

Thoughts? Advice? Is international Coach as bad as everyone says it is?

And just to double check, can only use the SWUs on non-award flights right?
No SWUs on award flights.

I would look for other flights with award availability from the US to Europe and a connecting flight direct to Munich (even if you have to pay for the short Euro flight).

Check all the AA gateways to various cities in Europe. DFW, MIA, LAX, ORD, JFK, RDU. LHR, DUS, CDG, MAD, BCN, HEL, FCO, MXP

Good luck.