Old May 21, 13, 12:55 pm
KennyBSAT

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by jerry305 View Post
I've got about 60,000 Amex Mileage Rewards points saved up.
(Promo: For US Amex cardholders, there is currently a promo bonus for converting MR to BA Avios. I haven't figured out if that applies to Canadian Mileage Rewards holders.)

My boss has about 120,000 RBC Avion points saved up.
(Promo: In July, there will be a promo bonus for converting RBC Avion to BA Avios.)

I can't make sense of the mileage conversions. There are some good blog posts about conversion successes, but I can't find any deals that get me out of YWG.

My expected flights are:
1. YWG to Europe, return, in late October. Upgraded classes would only be worth a 50% premium to me.
2. YWG to YVR, return, year round. Y class is acceptable.
(normally 25,000 Aeroplan)
3. YWG to YYZ, return, year round. Y class is acceptable.
(normally 15,000 Aeroplan)
4. YWG to Florida, return, in January. Y class is acceptable.
(normally ????? Aeroplan)

Should I convert MR to Avios?
Should my boss convert RBC Avion to Avios?

That is, will we get any great deals? Do you have good success stories?

If none of that works out, my wife and I together have about 100,000 Aeroplan, which don't expire for 6 years.

Thank you in advance!
I don't see any Oneworld flights out of YWG, but one possible interesting use of Avios is FAR-ORD-MCO (or TPA or RSW) for 24,000 Avios round trip. That way you clear customs and immigration or the ground in Pembina instead of having to handle your bags an extra time in the airport and clear customs there. MIA or EYW is an additional 5K Avios round trip.
FAR-ORD-DUB using AA and Aer Lingus is 49K roundtrip if you like the idea of using Ireland as a jumping off point for your Europe trip.