Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat, PreCheck
It's one SWU each direction, with up to a maximum of three segments. You should be fine.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by SF Traveler
It's one SWU each direction, with up to a maximum of three segments. You should be fine.
SF Traveler, Thanks!
it was weird because when I asked for this the rep wasn´t sure... so suddenly i felt i was loosing a good "upgrades"
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:55 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mariano
Hi there, i have a question regarding the use of SWU
I´m flying EZE-MIA-YYZ and i´ve asked for upgrades round trip using SWU; however I´m not sure if they are applying 1 SWU per "section" or just one for each travel. I mean; will they use 4 of my upgrades to do this? or will they use just 2?

Because I think Its not worthy use one upgrade like this one for a 3.5hs travel like MIA-YYZ... and i though it was only 2 for the whole round trip.

thank you!
Mariano
You can always call AA to check, but they should only be pulling 2 total for your round trip itinerary. Each SWU can be used for up to 3 segments, so only one SWU is needed for EZE-MIA-YYZ.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:32 am

Programs: United Silver
Changing Time of Flight on Award Ticket

A simple question I know, but I have not been able to find the answer.

Leaving in August DCA/ORD/DUS/VCE on award ticket

I'm concerned about connection time from in ORD (only 45 minutes) to make the international leg.

If I call to see if there are earlier in the day available award seats from DCA/ORD will I incur the 150 dollar re ticketing charge? (my wife and I are already ticketed). I would rather wait at ORD for a few hours rather then crossing my fingers that we are not late getting into our connection.

Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by David10225
A simple question I know, but I have not been able to find the answer.

Leaving in August DCA/ORD/DUS/VCE on award ticket

I'm concerned about connection time from in ORD (only 45 minutes) to make the international leg.

If I call to see if there are earlier in the day available award seats from DCA/ORD will I incur the 150 dollar re ticketing charge? (my wife and I are already ticketed). I would rather wait at ORD for a few hours rather then crossing my fingers that we are not late getting into our connection.

Thanks!
If award seats are available on the earlier DCA-ORD flight, then there would be no fee to change. Changing only time (or date) on award tickets is free.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:14 am

Flight 233 to Sao Paulo cabin filled with smoke emergency landing in San Juan

I took a flight from Miami American 233 on January 29, 2013 to Sao Paulo. The cabin began to fill with smoke and we made an emergency landing in San Juan, Puerto Rico. AA flew us all back to Miami in time for the 11:45pm flight to Sao Paulo. We were told that it was oversold and unavailable. I spent the night in Miami. The next morning on January 30, 2013 returned to Miami airport to learn that flight 233 to Sao Paulo had been canceled. Also learned that the 11:45pm was oversold and unavailable. I asked what my options were and they suggested if my business meetings had been missed that I return home and try again later. On January 30, 2013 at 2pm I returned home. I called American and was told that my $2,400.00 airfare would NOT be refunded. Are you kidding me? Help?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Grindler
I took a flight from Miami American 233 on January 29, 2013 to Sao Paulo. The cabin began to fill with smoke and we made an emergency landing in San Juan, Puerto Rico. AA flew us all back to Miami in time for the 11:45pm flight to Sao Paulo. We were told that it was oversold and unavailable. I spent the night in Miami. The next morning on January 30, 2013 returned to Miami airport to learn that flight 233 to Sao Paulo had been canceled. Also learned that the 11:45pm was oversold and unavailable. I asked what my options were and they suggested if my business meetings had been missed that I return home and try again later. On January 30, 2013 at 2pm I returned home. I called American and was told that my $2,400.00 airfare would NOT be refunded. Are you kidding me? Help?
Call again. Your flight was cancelled, and they are contractually obligated to offer you a full refund (NOT a voucher).

From AA's international tariff:
For the purpose of this paragraph, the term "Involuntary Refund" shall mean any refund made in the event the passenger is prevented from using the carriage provided for in his/her ticket because of cancellation of flight, inability of AA to provide previously confirmed space, substitution of a different type of equipment or class of service by AA, missed connections, postponement or delay of flight, omission of a scheduled stop, or removal or refusal to carry under conditions prescribed in "Acceptance of Children" provisions of Rule 25 (REFUSAL TO TRANSPORT-LIMITATIONS OF CARRIER).

The amount of involuntary refunds will be as follows:

when no portion of the trip has been made, the amount of refund will be an amount equal to the fare and charges applicable to the ticket issued to the passenger.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JY1024
You can always call AA to check, but they should only be pulling 2 total for your round trip itinerary. Each SWU can be used for up to 3 segments, so only one SWU is needed for EZE-MIA-YYZ.
Many thanks
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:28 pm

jfk terminal

does anyone know when t4 will be complete? I am flying May 18 LAX_JFK_VCE.
have asked several times on main board, no response
thanks
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Looks like it might be sometime in May. Have you asked on the Delta forum?

They are on schedule and under budget (whoa) for an opening in May 2013.
http://www.jaunted.com/story/2012/10...27s+Terminal+4
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:18 pm

Hi, I have Gold status through the end of this month, based on last year's status match against United. I didn't fly enough to keep it (which is to say I've not flown AA at all since the match).

I now find myself with 4 500 mile upgrades, and a need to fly to Chicago on Monday. I normally wouldn't burn 2x upgrades each way on such a short flight, but am I going to lose them at month end with my status? If so I might as well get something out of them.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: delta
Status matching DL Diamond to AA Exec Plat

Hi, I am a DL Diamond (PLat end of this month). Travel to China 4-5 times a year and DL's flights schedules have become very bad. I also travel 2-3 times month domestic. I would like to get an opinion on best approach to status match to Exec Plat (who do I contact or what do I fill out) and thoughts on the international travel differences between the two airlines. Specifically I am looking for use of upgrades to business.
Thank you much for the responses.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by hoopics
I normally wouldn't burn 2x upgrades each way on such a short flight, but am I going to lose them at month end with my status? If so I might as well get something out of them.
Your 500-mile upgrades are not going anywhere, but once you lose Gold status, you will only be able to use them on Y and B fares. If you anticipate regaining AA status again in the near future, they might be worth holding on to.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: EK IB QF
Hi everyone! I have a quick question regarding AA TATL Coach meals ex-Europe.

The meal contents are printed in English and are pre-packaged using AA labelled plasticware which makes me wonder if they ship these frozen microwavable meals all the way from the US? Surely that would be a waste of cargo space.

If so, why can't they just order specific catering demands at the local airport?

It's confusing to think that they would go through so much trouble just to have the exact same meals throughout their network instead of opting for similar alternatives. I doubt many people even notice!

Thank you for your replies!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Is same day confirmed change free for platinum? I am thinking after some searching no, but wanted to double check with the experts.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.