Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 AA Domestic Meals - menus / menu, photos, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 AA Domestic Meals - menus / menu, photos, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I mentioned this meal on the "pre-order" thread but I thought it was notable for mention here due to it being a new item (new to me at least).

I was in F on AA299 from MIA to LAX last week. This is the 3-class 777 bird. Anyway, they were offering three breakfast options: Eggs Benedict, Egg Quesadillas, or Cereal (I don't know if the J cabin offering was the same). I opted for the Eggs Benedict and it was dreadful. Just didn't taste good at all. The Hollandaise sauce was not good.

I do congratulate AA on trying new dishes. I've had the new Roast Beef Wrap, Quiche Lorraine, and the Chipotle Chicken and all were winners. The Eggs Benedict was a fail I'm afraid.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:14 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
LAX-JFK
Redeye "Snack" flight
Business Class
Early February 2013

Soup
Spinach and white bean soup topped with sliced smoked chicken

Fruit and Cheese Plate
Fresh Muenster, cambozola and goat cheese accompanied by juicy grapes and dried fruit

Ahi Tuna and Lentils
Char-grilled ahi tuna, served chilled, over green lentils with bacon and seasonal vegetables

Soup was kind of bland...tasted like cafeteria soup that came out of a bag or can.
Tuna was even worse - bordered on inedible. Definitely had a "char-grilled" taste and pretty cross-hatched grill marks, but the fish was cooked to death before it was chilled. Cutting into it was actually kind of tough due to the dry, stringy texture.

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 5, 2013 at 7:27 am Reason: updated with class of service
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JY1024
LAX-JFK
Redeye "Snack" flight
Early February 2013

Soup
Spinach and white bean soup topped with sliced smoked chicken

Fruit and Cheese Plate
Fresh Muenster, cambozola and goat cheese accompanied by juicy grapes and dried fruit

Ahi Tuna and Lentils
Char-grilled ahi tuna, served chilled, over green lentils with bacon and seasonal vegetables

Soup was kind of bland...tasted like cafeteria soup that came out of a bag or can.
Tuna was even worse - bordered on inedible. Definitely had a "char-grilled" taste and pretty cross-hatched grill marks, but the fish was cooked to death before it was chilled. Cutting into it was actually kind of tough due to the dry, stringy texture.

Was this in F or J?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Was this in F or J?
Oops - sorry for the omission!

This was in J.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:16 am

AA westbound TATL - where is the meat-aterian pizza?

I have flown AA TATL enought now after switching from CO, that I know to expect vegetarian pizza on the westbound TATL flights. My question is what about us meataterians? Are we second class passengers? When do we get a meataterian pizza? Thinking about something like mushrooms (yucch!!!!) or peppers on a pizza is about as appealing as thinking of consuming a barfbag. They even put that vegetarian crap underneath the cheese so you cannot even pick them off.

Hey, AA, how about a choice of pizzas? Or, if you cannot do that, just give us a plain jane cheese pizza that will not offend anyone.

I have actually flown European airlines where the meal choice is between two meataterian offerings. That is real civilization. Vegetarians are a small minority in the real world. Why pander to them so much?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
What about an alternative for lactose intolerants? After picking the cheese off, there isn't much that's edible! Suppose there's no pleasing everyone...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:22 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Frankly, I would rather take the vegetarian pizza than eat whatever scary low quality meat would end up on a meat-topping pizza. I wouldn't be surprised if those pizzas cost less than $1 per passenger.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:26 am
Original Poster

As the recent topic is discussing TATL meals, we'll merge it into our existing thread for questions/experiences/comments about AA's domestic food offerings. Thanks! /Moderator
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
What about an alternative for lactose intolerants? After picking the cheese off, there isn't much that's edible! Suppose there's no pleasing everyone...
Again pandered to a small minority.

A friend's college age son who worked at a pizza restaurant told me that more people ordered meataterian pizzas than any other type, followed by mixed, followed by vegetarian. An airline should either go with the largest group, or do something neutral like a cheese pizza with no toppings at all.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by dw
Frankly, I would rather take the vegetarian pizza than eat whatever scary low quality meat would end up on a meat-topping pizza. I wouldn't be surprised if those pizzas cost less than $1 per passenger.
A plain cheese pizza would do the trick, too. Just don't force those vegetarian pizzas on us, especially when hiding yucchy ''toppings'' under the cheese.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
MIA-LAX
Feb 2013
757-200
Dinner

Mozzarella and cherry tomatoes salad
herb dressing or balsamic vinaigrette

Prosciutto with Parmesan cheese
cantaloupe puree

Choice of
Chateaubriand, caper demi-glace
mashed potatoes and vegetable medley

or

Four cheese pasta
tomato sauce

Ice Cream Sundae
berries, hot fudge, butterscotch, whipped cream, nuts

Fruit and Cheese Plate

Fruit cups (offered as dessert instead of a pre-arrival choice )

I saw the purser and a deadheading FA devouring 2 large cups of ice cream sundae in the galley after service. That's probably why they offered the fruit cup during dinner service hoping that passengers would leave some ice creams for their own enjoyment

Other than the purser, the flight was good and the meal was delicious. I was surprised that they served Chateaubriand on domestic 2 cabin first, but, it really was just a piece of filet. It's not the same Chateaubriand AA serves on international flights.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
SLC-DFW
Breakfast
Super 80
Wi-fi enabled

a choice of rolls, featuring...paging lucky9876coins... pretzel or wheat. I chose the pretzel and could of had 2 or 3!
I had the pretzel rolls on my last two lunch flights... they are tasty, but really should be served with mustard!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I saw the purser and a deadheading FA devouring 2 large cups of ice cream sundae in the galley after service. That's probably why they offered the fruit cup during dinner service hoping that passengers would leave some ice creams for their own enjoyment
Even though the fruit cup was introduced only a couple of months ago, this has become the norm on all transcons. Both the on-board dining department and FA training folks know about it. We will see if they can do something about it.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:19 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by sukn
Even though the fruit cup was introduced only a couple of months ago, this has become the norm on all transcons. Both the on-board dining department and FA training folks know about it. We will see if they can do something about it.
My experience as well, re: the fruit cup being offered as a dessert option instead of a pre-arrival snack. I can't imagine that it requires that much effort to offer it after the meal service, it could be put on the same tray as the cookies.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
AA 176 DFW-DCA
Departed @ 11:30

PDB
Warm nuts in ramekins
Choice of Shrimp w/cheesy grits or grilled chicken salad w/beets and lots of large walnut halves (which the FA did not mention when taking orders...fortunately, he had an extra shrimp he could switch it out for once I saw what was on it)
Choice of double chocolate chip cookie or red/white/blue cookie
No mints

Last edited by txrus; Feb 9, 2013 at 9:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.