Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to primary card holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or some of the Citi Business cards.

The maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles per AAdvantage account. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate.

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Citi 10% miles back / rebate for award redemption

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, United
I have a Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature card (since '93) and both Citi and Aadvantage are telling me that it doesn't qualify for the 10% rebate. Has anyone else had this problem? I just redeemed 125K miles for 2x F to LHR and they are telling me I won't be getting the 10K rebate. Any ideas on my next step? I have already gone to the supervisor level with both Citi and AA…..

Last edited by Soulag; Jul 14, 2014 at 3:50 pm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by Soulag
I have a Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature card (since '93) and both Citi and Aadvantage are telling me that it doesn't qualify for the 10% rebate. Has anyone else had this problem? I just redeemed 125K miles for 2x F to LHR and they are telling me I won't be getting the 10K rebate. Any ideas on my next step? I have already gone to the supervisor level with both Citi and AA…..
Sounds like in 1993 you signed up under a different benefit package, and they are calling it a similar or the same product name?

Might be most straightforward to sign up for the MC version of the current card, get the new benefit
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by st1575
I wish I had your problem because 4,500 miles seem to have not been rebated from this set of redemption transactions:

02/14/14 UP55A NA-ASIA Z2 BUS OW TKT 0 5,500 5,500

02/14/14 UP55A NA-ASIA Z2 BUS OW TKT -55,000 0 -55,000
02/14/14 UP55A NA-ASIA Z2 BUS OW TKT -55,000 0 -55,000

I was going to wait a month or so before calling to see if things fix themselves.
It turns out that the missing 4,500 miles are actually in my account, but simply not shown in any of the statements. I didn't believe the rep who called me last week after I filed an inquiry via the Web site, but I did the math and she was correct: the balance reflects a a 4500-mile difference in my favor.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by st1575
It turns out that the missing 4,500 miles are actually in my account, but simply not shown in any of the statements. I didn't believe the rep who called me last week after I filed an inquiry via the Web site, but I did the math and she was correct: the balance reflects a a 4500-mile difference in my favor.
Similar thing for me. Strange that it never made it to my statements but it's accounted for in the total balance.

My redemption was on done on January this year. Maybe we were in the same "batch" for rebate processing.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I just got 6,250 posted as "Customer Service Bonus," must have been from quite some time ago. I don't even remember what award that would be! Is Customer Service Bonus the way it is posting for everyone else?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:35 pm
Chy

No it posts like this:

CITI 10% AWARD RDMPTION BONUS 2014 0 2,000 2,000
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I both got 10k back on an 112k award reservation; they took 112k out of 2 different accounts. We are thinking of changing dates and might have to book F on the return (international saver) if that is all that is available. AA said if we do this she would redeposit the 112k and take out 125k; no reinstatement fees. My wife has a Citi Hilton and I had a Citi AA which I just cancelled because I was approved for a Citi Business AA with a 50k bonus. Did my wife get her 10k back because of her card or did we both get 20k because of mine? If I end up changing tickets I assume my new Citi AA Business would have the same bonus arrangement so we would both still get the 10k back? What is weird is I charged the taxes on her ticket to her Hilton Citi but I messed up and charged my taxes to my Starwood AX so I have no idea why I qualified for the rebate.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by kmandrew
My wife and I both got 10k back on an 112k award reservation; they took 112k out of 2 different accounts. We are thinking of changing dates and might have to book F on the return (international saver) if that is all that is available. AA said if we do this she would redeposit the 112k and take out 125k; no reinstatement fees. My wife has a Citi Hilton and I had a Citi AA which I just cancelled because I was approved for a Citi Business AA with a 50k bonus. Did my wife get her 10k back because of her card or did we both get 20k because of mine? If I end up changing tickets I assume my new Citi AA Business would have the same bonus arrangement so we would both still get the 10k back? What is weird is I charged the taxes on her ticket to her Hilton Citi but I messed up and charged my taxes to my Starwood AX so I have no idea why I qualified for the rebate.
You don't need to use the Citi card to pay for the award fees/taxes to get the rebate. As long as Citi knows your AA account number, you will qualify.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I've reported in another thread, but there is a confirmed glitch for reservations already made and received the 10% back. To make a change to the award, the agent usually would redeposit your miles and re-book it in most cases. However, the system thinks you're simply canceling the award and it takes back your 10% without giving it back when the award gets re-booked.

The worst part is that it doesn't show on the online activity, it just deducts the miles by next statement with no activity. So your Starting Balance of the next month will be short (of the 10% you received) from the previous Ending Balance.

Confirmed glitch by AA Customer Service and said you'll just have to call back each time to get it fixed. Many people probably don't notice this since it doesn't show as an activity online.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
I've reported in another thread, but there is a confirmed glitch for reservations already made and received the 10% back. To make a change to the award, the agent usually would redeposit your miles and re-book it in most cases. However, the system thinks you're simply canceling the award and it takes back your 10% without giving it back when the award gets re-booked.

The worst part is that it doesn't show on the online activity, it just deducts the miles by next statement with no activity. So your Starting Balance of the next month will be short (of the 10% you received) from the previous Ending Balance.

Confirmed glitch by AA Customer Service and said you'll just have to call back each time to get it fixed. Many people probably don't notice this since it doesn't show as an activity online.
Wow. Thanks for reporting this.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA ExP || SPG Plt || Honors Diamond || UA Silver
I recently encountered some problems with this 10% rebate.
I used this function perfectly last year (I had a citi AA Amex card opened on Jan 2013, still open now). I redeemed around 52.5k earlier this year, got 5250 with no problem at all. Then AA accidentally gave me some 5k more for no reason. Then AA took it back.
Later on I redeemed another 42.5k miles, AA didn't post anything for this rebate for 3 months. Then redeemed another 30k, no rebate miles posted (at this time I'm exceeding the 100k/10k rebate limit).
I always believe this is something done automatically by the system so I patiently waited for 2 months, then I realized I had to call them. A clueless rep just told me "you've got a 10k bonus already (which is another purchase bonus), you have so many activities in your account, I cannot figure this out, you should call citi". Citi then asked me to call AA. Bummer...

So, my question is, should I still patiently wait for the remaining miles? Or I should keep calling AA until I meet someone who is really willing to help me?

Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by gunit770
Does this work for citi executive?
No. That card, for whatever reason, is missing this benefit.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:56 pm

10% discount on USAir metal using AA miles?

I have a credit card eligible for 10% miles rebate on award ticket, so do I get the 10% rebate when I use AA miles to book a flight on USAir metal? And if so, do I get the rebate if I use my AA miles to book a family member's flight on USAir metal? Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by sharonsimon
I have a credit card eligible for 10% miles rebate on award ticket, so do I get the 10% rebate when I use AA miles to book a flight on USAir metal? And if so, do I get the rebate if I use my AA miles to book a family member's flight on USAir metal? Thanks.
You get the rebate (up to 10K/annum) for any award redemption of AA miles.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:04 am

Anyone know how long it takes for the 10% to post. My wife and I used 112,500 miles each on September 3. My 10,000 miles posted back the next day. My wife's account still hasn't shown the 10% back yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.