Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to primary card holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or some of the Citi Business cards.

The maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles per AAdvantage account. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate.

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Citi 10% miles back / rebate for award redemption

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Holding a card that earns the 10% rebate sends a "flag" to the FF program that you are to get the 10% rebate. It's sent periodically by the card as a result of you holding it, it's not itied to purchases on it. And, in any case, a redemption is not a purchase, so it cannot be tied to a card; the fees on a redemption are purhcases, but the fees are separate from the redemption itself.

It's similar to the card's checked bag benefit. People who hold the card get the checked bag free whether they book the flight with that card or not.

It's similar to those cards which gives you status (or elite nights toward it) in a hotel program as long as you hold the card. The status is tied to having the card (or in some cases doing a partiuclar level of spend on the card), not on where you use the card.

It's only promotions (such as extra points/miles when you use the card or there) that are tied between the card and where you use it.

Meanwhile, there's already a thread about the 10% rebate here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...edemption.html

and I'm sure this question has been aswered many more times there. All I had to do find it was search this forum on:
Citi "10%"
and it came up high up on the first page of results.

(And this thread here will likely get merged into that one pretty soon.)
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:07 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
And now merged to help keep the information and discussion about this benefit in one tidy place for members to find in the future. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation. /Moderator
Old May 4, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA ExP || SPG Plt || Honors Diamond || UA Silver
Question about the 10% redemption.
I've Platinum card and Executive card all linked to my AA accounts. I'm now planning to generate a virtual number (from my Executive card) to pay for my award ticket tax. Can I still get the 10% mile back?
Thanks!
Old May 4, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mrsmsr
I've Platinum card and Executive card all linked to my AA accounts. I'm now planning to generate a virtual number (from my Executive card) to pay for my award ticket tax. Can I still get the 10% mile back?
Thanks!
You'll get the 10% rebate even if you don't use a Citi AA credit card to pay the award taxes and fees. You merely have to hold a qualifying Citi/AA card to be entitled to the rebate.
Old May 4, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by mrsmsr
Thanks!
The 10 % back is based on your AAdvantage number. Even though it's a perk of your credit card, you do not need to use that card for the purchase. So yes, you should get the 10 % back.

[Edited: i.e., what guv1976, who types faster than me, said]
Old May 4, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA ExP || SPG Plt || Honors Diamond || UA Silver
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You'll get the 10% rebate even if you don't use a Citi AA credit card to pay the award taxes and fees. You merely have to hold a qualifying Citi/AA card to be entitled to the rebate.
Originally Posted by beerup
The 10 % back is based on your AAdvantage number. Even though it's a perk of your credit card, you do not need to use that card for the purchase. So yes, you should get the 10 % back.

[Edited: i.e., what guv1976, who types faster than me, said]
Thanks for your help!!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:38 pm

Never have other citi aa cards before.
I got my citi executive in Feb, and redeemed the 110k miles for tickets two weeks ago.

Can I apply for Citi AA Platinum Personal Mastercard and get the 50,000 miles?
If the platinum card got approved, can I get 10% miles back for my 110k miles redemption?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by ghtjyjy
Never have other citi aa cards before.
I got my citi executive in Feb, and redeemed the 110k miles for tickets two weeks ago.

Can I apply for Citi AA Platinum Personal Mastercard and get the 50,000 miles?
If the platinum card got approved, can I get 10% miles back for my 110k miles redemption?
No. Eligibility for the rebate is determined at the time of the redemption.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
Citi 10% award redmption bonus 2014

I just redeemed 55K for a ticket but only shows 1,500 miles deposited as CITI 10% AWARD RDMPTION BONUS 2014. Is there a cap on how many miles you can earn back?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by chgodude
I just redeemed 55K for a ticket but only shows 1,500 miles deposited as CITI 10% AWARD RDMPTION BONUS 2014. Is there a cap on how many miles you can earn back?
If you are talking about redemption bonus benefit of Citi AA credit cards, then yes, there is an annual cap of 10,000 miles that you can earn back upon redemption.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by chgodude
As mentioned above, there is a cap of 10,000 miles that can be earned back but it resets each year.

IMO, makes the card worth the annual fee aside from the other perks
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:34 pm

Question, I do have the Citi MC for AA. I've seen the redemption come in for claiming rewards under my own name. What about claiming rewards for a trip that I do not even go on? Say for my parents. Does the 10k yearly bonus back still apply in this situation?

Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by broncobenji
Question, I do have the Citi MC for AA. I've seen the redemption come in for claiming rewards under my own name. What about claiming rewards for a trip that I do not even go on? Say for my parents. Does the 10k yearly bonus back still apply in this situation?
It applies to any AA award redemption (up to the 10K annual per-account ceiling) regardless of who travels.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
And it applies to everything. "Buying" Upgrades with miles and even magazine subscriptions.

Love that 10%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.