Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to primary card holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or some of the Citi Business cards.

The maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles per AAdvantage account. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate.

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Citi 10% miles back / rebate for award redemption

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:12 am

Does your wife have her own card? Or is it linked to your credit card account?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
This thread has reminded me, I have not received 10% back on any redemptions this year. Does anyone know if this is a lump sum at the end of the year or what? Needless to say, I've redeemed well north of 100,000 miles so far
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
This thread has reminded me, I have not received 10% back on any redemptions this year. Does anyone know if this is a lump sum at the end of the year or what? Needless to say, I've redeemed well north of 100,000 miles so far
I've always (last few years) have received mine very quickly, as in within a few days of making the booking(s).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by gblakeb
Anyone know how long it takes for the 10% to post. My wife and I used 112,500 miles each on September 3. My 10,000 miles posted back the next day. My wife's account still hasn't shown the 10% back yet.
Originally Posted by bmchris
That, and has she already redeemed 100K or more earlier this year?

No, the rebate should post fairly promptly. There was a prolonged system problem several months back, but that eventually resolved itself, with the backlog being cleared.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by beltway
That, and has she already redeemed 100K or more earlier this year?

No, the rebate should post fairly promptly. There was a prolonged system problem several months back, but that eventually resolved itself, with the backlog being cleared.
This is her first redemption for this year. We received the 10,000 back last year fairly quickly, I believe.

Originally Posted by bmchris
She does have her own card. She had two from last summer. We canceled one and after talking with AA, they said she didn't have any linked. I said that's strange, because the statement just cut on the Citi AA and we already received the 2x miles for the taxes and fees for this trip in her AA account.

They are researching it.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:18 pm

Was one of the redemptions by any chance early this year (Jan-march)? There were some reports of people getting the rebate added to their total balance but not listed as a line item anywhere in the statement.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yannix
Was one of the redemptions by any chance early this year (Jan-march)? There were some reports of people getting the rebate added to their total balance but not listed as a line item anywhere in the statement.
Just talked with AAdvantage Customer Service. They arent real sure why only 2000 rebate miles have shown back up when I'm somewhere north of 300,000 miles this year redeemed. They opened up a ticket to research it, but said it could be confused by the reinstatement and reissue or awards
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:02 am

I have 2 AA credit cards using the 2 browser trick. I have already got 10000 miles refund this year. Will I get another 10000 miles refund again since I have 2 of AA cards?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by IamHungry
I have 2 AA credit cards using the 2 browser trick. I have already got 10000 miles refund this year. Will I get another 10000 miles refund again since I have 2 of AA cards?
No.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
No benefit unless you book through by phone, they told me?

Tried to do this for both a domestic and an international award. Couldn't find a weblink. Called. Told you have to book on the phone, with a $35 fee. Is that correct??? Not worth it, if so.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by dia1
Tried to do this for both a domestic and an international award. Couldn't find a weblink. Called. Told you have to book on the phone, with a $35 fee. Is that correct??? Not worth it, if so.
Not true. Book online or by phone. There's no special link you need.

Maybe the agent thought you were asking about Citi's quarterly reduced mileage awards which do require a phone booking. There's a separate thread on that.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IamHungry
No. All any qualifying AA credit card does is enable your rebate. And thus once you have on card that enables the rebate, the other cards can't enable it any further.

Same with all other offical benefits of AA credit cards. You don't get double on checked bags, etc, because again all the first AA qualifying credit card you have does is enable your one free checked bag. Any additonal AA credit cards can't "enable" it any further.

The only benefits I can think of continuing to hold additional AA credit cards are:

1. If they have different statement cycles, and you want to either earn miles faster or delay the payment longer, you can choose which one to use based on whether it's got the statement that will cycle sooner or the statement that will cycle later (say, if you only use either of them when purchasing AA tickets for the 2x miles).

2. If you only want to keep more than one while both are free, you can wait to see which one will first not give you a retention bonus, and close that one first.

Other than that, there is no additonal benefit to holding two AA credit cards (of a similar type) versus just one.

And, btw, you can't do the 2 browser trick with Citi any more: Citi now requires a minimum of 8 days between any 2 Citi credit card applications. So (other than exepensive Executive card) you can't get more than one Citi personal 50k AA card every (12 to) 18 (to 26) months any more.

But it's irrrelevant to your benefits question whether you used the two browser trick or not; I have two Citi AA cards that I got two years apart, and the way they're redundant in terms of AA benefits applies to them too. (I held onto the card I got in 2011 because they've given me a retention bonus that credited me the annual fee back both renewal years so far; the card I got in 2013 hasn't gotten to the first renewal year yet.)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dia1
What do you mean by trying to do "this"?

You can't "try" to get a rebate. You have to book an award, and then wait, and then you'll get the rebate. The rebate comes after you book an award, so I don't understand what you were "trying" to do.

THere is no special proceure for booking and geting the rebate. You just keep holding the qualifying AA credit card. You book the award flight with AA any way you want; some time later the rebate shows up in your account (assuming you've not already gotten 10k of rebate that year).

Independent of the issue of earning rebates:

While all awards on AA and awards on some partner airlines can be booked online, there are other partner airlines whose awards are not online, so if you have an itenerary (presumably international) that includes, for example, Iberia, you have to book on the phone.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:57 pm

I got an award ticket about 3 weeks ago, still waiting for rebate to appear, in previous years it would only take 1 or 2 days, anyone else having issues
Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:11 pm

I redeemed 135K yesterday and got 10K back within 7 hours. Pleasantly surprised.
I need to redeem another 135K. If I wait until Jan 1st, would I get another 10K back as it is on two different calendar year ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.