Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to primary card holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or some of the Citi Business cards.

The maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles per AAdvantage account. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate.

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Citi 10% miles back / rebate for award redemption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by sam007
http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2015/...s-mistake.html

Guys

Can someone explain me how this works? I've had the aadvantage card in the past but no longer do. However, you would never redeem of the card but rather the card would send the miles to your AA account.

So can you redeem 67500 miles off your AA account and expect to get a year-end bonus credit of 6750 miles back?

Thx
Yes. The rebate even posts fairly quickly. Tons of details [in this thread - mod note]

Last edited by miamigrad; Jan 10, 2015 at 7:28 pm Reason: Removed circular link, post merge
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:27 pm

I wish AA website showed your miles history more than 3-4 months which it does right now. Any tricks to see a long-term history. I had a redemption early in 2014 and can't see if I got the 10% credit or not
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:41 pm

I wish AA website showed your miles history more than 3-4 months which it does right now. Any tricks to see a long-term history. I had a redemption early in 2014 and can't see if I got the 10% credit or not
AA provides a 6-month history. AFAIK, there's no way for a member to look back beyond that.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by beltway
AA provides a 6-month history. AFAIK, there's no way for a member to look back beyond that.
There is, you have to call AAdvantage. They can review months past and if you want a print out there is a fee, can't remember but it was too high.

So I reviewed my account and SO, found out that we had not been issued all rebates, she processed a ticket to be reviewed by citi, blah, blah, 6-8 weeks, blah, blah.

Overall I have no confidence this will happen. If it does, great, but it is so flawed, that it is not worth my time and patience.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:58 am

I called aadvantage at 800-882-8880 and they said they don't do the rebate program and it's handled by citi credit cards. I'm confused - does this rebate program work even if I no longer have the card and what's the right # to call?
Thx
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I called aadvantage at 800-882-8880 and they said they don't do the rebate program and it's handled by citi credit cards. I'm confused - does this rebate program work even if I no longer have the card and what's the right # to call?
Thx
The rebate only applies to those who hold a qualifying card at the time the redemption is made. The rebate does not post at the end of the year; it normally posts a short time after the redemption is made. But the annual rebate limit is 10,000 AAdvantage miles.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:57 pm

Would an add-on card from another member apply?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:06 pm

Would an add-on card from another member apply?
The 10% rebate applies only to the AA account of the primary cardholder.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:39 pm

Just called AA, the fee for sending statements older than 6 months is 50 bucks. I let them know that 6 months of history online is a joke. Only way to check is over the phone as someone said (not a good option IMO) or look at the monthly Esummary emails, which have a summarized statement.
Also, as someone said before, when going through statements to check the 10%, be careful, since many times the 10% is added to the ending balance of last month. You will have i.e. March ending balance 150.000 miles and then April beginning balance 160.000 miles, if your rebate was 10.000 miles. Not very transparent IMO.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I made six 20k redemptions today. The redemptions and the corresponding rebates (5x 2k) posted in less than an hour.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by brownie20
i had the same thing happen on a recent redemption and still waiting to hear back from AA customer service (they requested the missing miles from citi). bummer - i've upgraded/changed award tickets in the past and probably lost the 10% bonus without even realizing it
3 months and at least 3 phone calls later i still haven't received the missing miles. called for the 4th and 5th time today (4th call they didn't believe i was short miles and said they would call back in a few hours after they manually counted the miles and confirmed i was short which of course they didnt). 5th call i was connected to a lovely representative who manually counted my miles and confirmed the missing miles while i was on the phone and escalated the matter to her supervisor and to the audit department. hopefully will get the miles back this time!! be ready to fight for those miles if you should ever upgrade an award ticket and max out on the 10K rebate limit
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I just made a redemption of 4x J one way tix to EU for the total of 200,000 AA miles, and the rebate (2x 5,000) posted back into my account almost immediately. My wife's account received its rebate last week for another redemption shortly after the award was ticketed.

This is much improved from last year when it took almost 2 months for the rebate to show up.

For anyone still having trouble, I wish you luck with AA crediting them back!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
3 months and at least 3 phone calls later i still haven't received the missing miles. called for the 4th and 5th time today (4th call they didn't believe i was short miles and said they would call back in a few hours after they manually counted the miles and confirmed i was short which of course they didnt). 5th call i was connected to a lovely representative who manually counted my miles and confirmed the missing miles while i was on the phone and escalated the matter to her supervisor and to the audit department. hopefully will get the miles back this time!! be ready to fight for those miles if you should ever upgrade an award ticket and max out on the 10K rebate limit
I applaud your persistence. At the end of 2014, I called AA so they could count up the rebates for my SO and myself. There was a shortage and they made an audit request, miles posted about 60 days later.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
i had the same thing happen on a recent redemption and still waiting to hear back from AA customer service (they requested the missing miles from citi). bummer - i've upgraded/changed award tickets in the past and probably lost the 10% bonus without even realizing it
I have had the opposite experience. Cancelled / changed several award reservations in 2014, received the bonus for the initial redemption, never clawed back.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Stupid question, but as a holder of both the Citi AA Platinum Select MC and the Citibusiness AA Platinum Select World MC, can I use the Citi AA business card to *pay* for the taxes and still receive the 10% bonus or do I have to use my personal and not my business card to pay? Obviously I'm trying to reach a min spend on the business card...

Thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.