Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to primary card holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or some of the Citi Business cards.

The maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles per AAdvantage account. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate.

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Citi 10% miles back / rebate for award redemption

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by BrianV
I've just now started receiving 10% bonuses on redemptions. I've never received this before despite having the AAdvantage Visa (Which I never use). Recently, I switched to the Citi Hilton Reserve which I use to purchase flights, etc. I was about to call to cancel the AAdvantage card to avoid the fee, but now I'm seeing this perk and I'm wondering which card is giving me the perks.

Again, I have two Citi cards. I use the Citi Reserve Hilton for buying my flights (and awards).
How many weeks did you have to wait? I booked award tix 7 weeks ago and still no miles. I know the TOS say "6 to 8 weeks" but I'm an anxious guy.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by cova
I spoke with an AAdvantage supervisor (after not getting much help from a new agent). He researched for me and will take the action to get the missing miles added. He indicated the software was updated in Dec.

Citibank gets a copy of the transaction, but they don't initiate it. The software does. This really is an AA software issue. Call AAdvantage and get a supervisor to talk to.

I told him that here on FT lot of people are reporting the issue.

He also indicated that the bonus points post sooner with the new software.
After emailing & then getting a call some weeks ago from an AA CSR (as mentioned in an earlier post) who just pointed the finger at Citi, I called AA today.

Front-line CSR said she had a memo on the subject:
  • Issue affected awards in Nov & Dec 2013
  • She had to fill out a form (with my DOB!) to send over to Citi for research
  • Process supposedly takes 5-10 days

I also spoke with a supervisor. Purpose was mostly to chew out AA for not recovering well at all from the error (which he admitted was the result of an AA software change) & failing to self-correct or notify customers. He claims the issue has been resolved for current redemptions & new rebates should again be more or less same-day.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the supervisor also claimed that AA is now actually going back on its own & IDing awards for which the rebate was never issued. (Said script is supposedly being run this week.) Make of that what you will; I'm skeptical.

Last edited by beltway; Feb 20, 2014 at 5:00 pm
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Thanks for your research on this matter, beltway. I called AA CS today and, after a 10-12 min. hold, the rep. said she thought the miles would post after my flt. I told her "no" and she spent a few minutes trying to find the info she needed and finally said, "please hold while I talk to someone & see if I can get this straightened out for you." After 4 or 5 min. she came back and said, "yes, it's a known problem. I'll send a ticket to CITI. What are the last four numbers on your CITI AA card?" She was very nice and said the process could take up to 2 weeks. We'll see what happens.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by beltway

EDIT: I forgot to add that the supervisor also claimed that AA is now actually going back on its own & IDing awards for which the rebate was never issued. (Said script is supposedly being run this week.) Make of that what you will; I'm skeptical.
My miles posted recently. I have not had contact with them about this issue since the one e-mail that I sent in January (standard - not us, you must contact CITI) response.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by pointspinnacle
I finally received our mileage rebate on saturday 2/1 from a redemption mid november. I did call AA a week ago and they escalated to citi so that may of helped.
So after waiting months and having my miles post earlier this month, last week they were pulled back or reversed. So it was +6750 and then a few weeks later -6750 and I have yet to see them back. I am planning on booking an award next week (in which i need those miles) and frankly I am growing tired of AA/citi's incompetence in this area!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA

I also spoke with a supervisor. Purpose was mostly to chew out AA for not recovering well at all from the error (which he admitted was the result of an AA software change) & failing to self-correct or notify customers. He claims the issue has been resolved for current redemptions & new rebates should again be more or less same-day.

Hmmm, I booked award tix on 1/23/14 and no rebate yet. Guess I need to follow up.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
At the end of January I got both AA and Citi CS guys in a conference call, where they promised to get the rebates to me and Mrs.G.
This is for award tickets purchased from 12/4/2013 thru 1/13/2014. No rebates have been received as of today 2/23.
However, just one F award got the instant rebate of 6250 miles. Their rebate system is just weird.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:53 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
This seems to be very inconsistent. As a data point, I booked an award ticket yesterday (65K miles) and see a credit of 6.5K miles together with the award redemption. First time this posted so quickly but it just points to inconsistency.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by iridge
This seems to be very inconsistent. As a data point, I booked an award ticket yesterday (65K miles) and see a credit of 6.5K miles together with the award redemption. First time this posted so quickly but it just points to inconsistency.
For those of you with recent rebates, did it post in the same format as in mid-late 2013,
[DATE] CITI 10% AWARD RDMPTION BONUS [AMOUNT]
or in some other format?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:48 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
For those of you with recent rebates, did it post in the same format as in mid-late 2013,

or in some other format?
02/23/14 CITI 10% AWARD RDMPTION BONUS 2014 0 6,500 6,500

As I mentioned, this posted immediately, at the same time as the redemption posting.

Could be a coincidence due to some kind of batch processing running on this day.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by iridge
As I mentioned, this posted immediately, at the same time as the redemption posting.

Could be a coincidence due to some kind of batch processing running on this day.
It may be coincidence, but as I mentioned above, an AA supervisor recently told me that AA has fixed their system so that new rebates post more or less instantly.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Can't say how long it took me, but I actually forgot this was a benefit. However, one day 5,000 miles just showed up in my account and I remembered why. No follow up was needed - and no emails to CS. Great benefit imo!! (when it works properly of course!)
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I'm not sure what to do next. I've got an email string with AAdvantage customer service that goes back several weeks, each week they promise it'll be resolved by the weekend.

I can't spend my workday on hold for 30 mins at a time to ask them to do their job, like they've promised each week for 6 weeks ... I'm at week 12 and missing two credits.

I suppose I'll just cancel the card once the renewal fee is due. If I'm still missing the credits, also complain to citicard regulators. It's a card benefit - they owe me, even if it's AA's computer programming failure.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by 4aks
I'm not sure what to do next. I've got an email string with AAdvantage customer service that goes back several weeks, each week they promise it'll be resolved by the weekend.

I can't spend my workday on hold for 30 mins at a time to ask them to do their job, like they've promised each week for 6 weeks ... I'm at week 12 and missing two credits.

I suppose I'll just cancel the card once the renewal fee is due. If I'm still missing the credits, also complain to citicard regulators. It's a card benefit - they owe me, even if it's AA's computer programming failure.
Call Citi or send them a SM asking them to post the points as a courtesy.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond

or in some other format?
Hmm weird, for me in November 2013 is says:

11/03/13 CITI 10% AWARD RDMPTION BONUS 10,000 0 10,000

11/03/13 ZM62X5C JAPAN FIRST OW TKT -62,500 0 -62,500
11/03/13 ZM62X5C JAPAN FIRST OW TKT -62,500 0 -62,500

Now it says:

02/11/14 UP50A NA-EUR BUS OW TKT 0 5,000 5,000

02/11/14 UP50A NA-EUR BUS OW TKT -50,000 0 -50,000
02/11/14 UP50A NA-EUR BUS OW TKT -50,000 0 -50,000

As you can see the wording, for me, changed. While it only shows one line item of +5,000, my total mileage did go up 10,000:

ENDING BALANCE 41,434
Starting Balance 46,434
Total Miles Posted 0 0 0
ENDING BALANCE 46,434
There's 5,000 miles that are in my account by have no line item explanation. I bet that 2/11 date of 5,000 miles will eventually show a full 10K being returned as it should.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.