Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by AUSMatt
Here's my situation and appreciate your thoughts. I am AA Platinum and wife has no status. I was on paid ticket and she was on award.
  • LAS-DFW delayed 1.5 hours (mechanical) which would cause us to miss last DFW-AUS flight connection of the day
  • Caught a earlier LAS-DFW that only left 19 minutes to connect to last flight of the day
  • We ran thru the terminals (A and D) to arrive at the gate 7 minutes to the scheduled departure (3 total passengers)
  • The agent indicated they already closed the gate and could not re-open it
  • I asked if they bothered to look at the connecting passenger list but didn't get an answer
  • They indicated that they would walk down to see if they could still open the door
  • No dice
  • I asked for accommodation at the Grand Hyatt since it was so late and we needed a lot of sleep for a duathlon the next day
  • No availability. I said I would just pay for it myself (as my company will reimburse)
  • Was never offered any food vouchers, compensation, apologies, etc.

The infuriating part is that we waited an extra 20 minutes for 6 late connecting passengers on our rebooked flight the next morning.

I was going to explain the situation and my frustration with the agents not bothering to check for connecting passengers and that we did arrive prior to departure (albeit not outside the magical 10 minute window).

I was thinking of asking for 12,500 miles each (my wife and I) and see if I could get anything for the hotel. (I know I chose to make different arrangements than AA wanted to provide).
Quick update. We received 15,000 miles each in compensation for the mechanical delay and the agent not checking for connecting pax or reopening door.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:30 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Originally Posted by AUSMatt
Quick update. We received 15,000 miles each in compensation for the mechanical delay and the agent not checking for connecting pax or reopening door.
Glad to hear you got your miles back! Cheers!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:08 am

Seeking advice what if any compensation is reasonable in this situation. I booked an I class business fare OMA-ORD-LHR, EDI-LHR-ORD-OMA on AA.com. During booking and on the itinerary the EDI-LHR flight was listed as business. Found out BA actually doesn't offer business on this route. (No business/first on OMA-ORD flights either, but it says that when booking) I didn't worry about calling BA for seats ahead because it was such a short flight. But, when I checked in online it said UK Domestic on the BP. I was not allowed to use the priority check-in or the lounge in EDI. (Am only AA gold, which I thought at least got me check in but they said you have to be emerald or sapphire). Is compensation reasonable from AA, if so what should I ask for in my email?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by cme2c
Seeking advice what if any compensation is reasonable in this situation. I booked an I class business fare OMA-ORD-LHR, EDI-LHR-ORD-OMA on AA.com. During booking and on the itinerary the EDI-LHR flight was listed as business. Found out BA actually doesn't offer business on this route. (No business/first on OMA-ORD flights either, but it says that when booking) I didn't worry about calling BA for seats ahead because it was such a short flight. But, when I checked in online it said UK Domestic on the BP. I was not allowed to use the priority check-in or the lounge in EDI. (Am only AA gold, which I thought at least got me check in but they said you have to be emerald or sapphire). Is compensation reasonable from AA, if so what should I ask for in my email?
No compensation due. You tried to enter the BA lounge at EDI, but which boarding pass did you show them? BA were the ones that denied you entry to their lounge. You were entitled to access based on your onward Trans Atlantic booking in Business Class on a One World carrier, if you showed them your onward Business Class boarding pass. Gold status does not enter the equation in for any lounge access.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Robt760
No compensation due. You tried to enter the BA lounge at EDI, but which boarding pass did you show them? BA were the ones that denied you entry to their lounge. You were entitled to access based on your onward Trans Atlantic booking in Business Class on a One World carrier, if you showed them your onward Business Class boarding pass. Gold status does not enter the equation in for any lounge access.
They said that the onward flight in business had to be on BA to get lounge access. The TOC on the BA lounge website confirms that. I showed them my LHR-ORD booked in Business on AA. Still I booked a business class segment EDI-LHR with AA, and they didn't deliver.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:46 am

compensation from aa: What form?

I had some problems with a partner award ticket in terms of the information that aa gave me on several occasions (even checking with their rate desk)
related to luggage allowances and seat reservatons/fees , resulting in some costs and inconvenience to me. I would hope that aa would consider covering it, preferably in cash , perhaps in miles (i only value them at a penny).

Was wondering if they could consider giving me some form of certificate for changes and or cancellation of awards, and similar administration fees, over the next couple of years (no specific things need changing now). Is there such a piece of paper or notation on my account that they could consider granting me , and if so, what do I call it, and should I email or send a paper letter (if so to whom??

Just a small matter, but any advice appreciated, thank you
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
They will definitely not give you the certificate you're talking about. With regard to the misinformation, can you be more specific? Also, was correct information available on their website? It doesn't excuse misinformation, of course, but it makes the case for compensation weaker.

Cheers.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Compensation tends to be miles (largely). In extreme cases, a voucher is issued for future travel on AA, but this is pretty rare. If your problem is with an AAgent not knowing the details of every one of AA's partner's programs, I suspect you are looking at miles at best. Hard to comment on your situation, as you haven't told us what your situation is.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:49 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Originally Posted by gemac
Compensation tends to be miles (largely). In extreme cases, a voucher is issued for future travel on AA, but this is pretty rare. If your problem is with an AAgent not knowing the details of every one of AA's partner's programs, I suspect you are looking at miles at best. Hard to comment on your situation, as you haven't told us what your situation is.
+1, I think we need more clarity.

AA fees are more easily refunded if assessed in error. For issues with partner fees (overweight/excess baggage charges, upgrade fees, etc.) you would have to take it up with the partner carrier. If your partner carrier is BA/IB, then I wouldn't bother. If you get a response at all, then their answer will likely be no.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:28 pm

Missed connection due to long immigaration line

Here we go folks. Came in from SCL into DFW. Had a connecting flight to EWR to get me in at noon for a midtown meeting and then on to JFK-BRU departing at 6 PM. Problem was at immigration AA reps would not let pass the line so I had to wait and wait. They called for other flights but not mine and folks I tried to be proactive.

So run run run but I miss the flight being at the other end of the terminal. Get at the gate and flight departed obviously. They rebooked me on the next EWR flight. This one made no sense as I could not make my meeting and would really put me on some stress to get to JFK. I guess with the EXP desk they decided to book me on to JFK arriving with plenty of time for the connecting flight.

Question is: I missed my meeting and still irritates me but had no option to stay longer due to my schedule. Do you folks thing I can ask for some compensation for this or should I drop it? I don't like crying for things but I don't know if this is a legit reason to ask for one.

I was flying in C and being an EXP
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by AAbruflyer
Came in from SCL into DFW. Had a connecting flight to EWR ... and then on to JFK-BRU departing at 6 PM.
That's all the airline knows/cares about. Immigration is not their fault (take it up with a congress critter as to why they are so understaffed). So the airline rebooked you in plenty of time for your onward connection.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA has no liability for a missed meeting. Zero. You can ask for some miles, but I'm not able to articulate a basis for even a token number of miles. You missed a connection because the lines at immigration were slow. That's not AA's fault.

If you were flying business class, LAN flies nonstop to JFK. No goofing around with Texas-based employees of immigration and no missed connections on the way to NYC.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:48 pm

ok folks; let's close the thread. The jury is out. Will ask for no compensation.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Merged into the Compensation thread.

I have never seen AA reps in Immigration - it has always been USCBP personnel, until I exit USCBP Customs iand take my bag(s) for re-check at the counters - so I am unsure what you are posting here.

But we know airlines will have delays and USCBP can get brutal (hint: get Global Entry!) at certain airports during certain hours. In neither case will an airline generally compensate for a missed meeting, and I doubt AA would be appropriate to call on for compo when USCBP immigration and customs queues were lengthy.

Nonetheless, read upthread and in the archival thread to see if anyone has reported they have been compensated for a similar instance.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
You missed a connection because the lines at immigration were slow. That's not AA's fault.
Of course it isn't. I really don't understand the basis for some of these "compensation" questions that get posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.