Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
1. Father's huge mistake.

2. Father told to show up EARLY (during Christmas high season).

3. WAY not early enough (these days they tell you to show up 2 hours early anyway - 3 hours might have been sufficient, possibly earlier even better, as you say there was already a queue). These things are bureaucratic nightmares. Apparently, high demand day - "All other flights on that day were similarly sold out, including other airlines."

4. Options: wait for an available flight, probably the next day, or choose to fly that day, even if it means purchasing an expensive ticket from another airport.

5. Compensation: likely, none.

Merged with compensation thread.
I realize that the initial mistake was not AA's fault, but I don't think it was handled correctly.

1. The agent could have changed the name over the phone the previous day, but did not.

2. The agent should have told them about the 2 hour cut-off. They were flying out of a small regional airport, where 2 hours is more than enough time to check in (and what I would consider "early," even during the Christmas season). Showing up 3 hours early would be absurd, unless that is what you were specifically told to do (which they were not).

3. In the airport, the agents should have realized that they were on an AAnytime award and changed her flight to one of the other airports within driving distance. They did not present this as an option, even though there are 2 other major airports within 3 hours.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by BookerT
I realize that the initial mistake was not AA's fault, but I don't think it was handled correctly.

1. The agent could have changed the name over the phone the previous day, but did not.

2. The agent should have told them about the 2 hour cut-off. They were flying out of a small regional airport, where 2 hours is more than enough time to check in (and what I would consider "early," even during the Christmas season). Showing up 3 hours early would be absurd, unless that is what you were specifically told to do (which they were not).

3. In the airport, the agents should have realized that they were on an AAnytime award and changed her flight to one of the other airports within driving distance. They did not present this as an option, even though there are 2 other major airports within 3 hours.
CSRs and GAs vary greatly in the service they offer. The airport staff may have been trying to divert the problem to the phone CSR. I am sure there are a lot of background activities we are not aware of (TSA notification, plane weight, pax manifests, catering, etc.), so thinking it's just a few strokes on the keyboard sounds simple enough. Name changes usually are not allowed so AAgents being weak on what the process needs to be is understandable. The first AAgent should have done the research and handled the request, but chose to put it off to someone else. Similar to what I find at Costco. If I ask if they have something, I'm usually told no because they know the next question is where and they don't want to help me find it.

Last year a friend and I did a lot of denied boarding voucher (DV) collecting. Usually did not want to wait for mail processing so did it at the airport before/during trips. Asked over a dozen AAgents/AAngels. Only three said they knew how to do them and were willing to take on the task. Unfortunately, NONE of them knew how to do them right and they had to redo them. Once we found those that would take them on, made a point of seeking them out for other vouchers.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:47 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Date: 12/20
AAdvantage Status: PLT at the time
Fare class: V
What happened: IFE went out half way thru the flight, LAX-PVG, and my bag, checked 7 hours before the flight, didn't make it until 3 days later-must have been a lot of cargo. Best part, besides the miles, was that the bag was 39kg and I didn't have to carry it up the 5 flights of stairs at my Nantong apartment.
Compensation: 15k miles
Comments: Like getting 5.3 times the base miles, with PLT and 2x bonuses.

Last edited by rbAA; Dec 30, 2012 at 10:54 pm
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by BookerT

No it's not true the agent could have just changed the name. It's clear in almost all ticketing rules name changes are not allowed. You will find that on pretty much any airline as part of their rules.

Ticketing - Name Change Restrictions

For marketed and operated flights by American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection:
Legitimate changes to a passenger's name will be accommodated. The agent will need to call AA Sales Support to complete the name change and retain the inventory. Legitimate name changes include spelling changes, changes to last names due to marriage or divorce and changes to prefixes (for example, Mr. to Dr.).

For codeshare, interline and alliance flights operated by other carriers:
  • The name field should never be altered in a codeshare / interline / alliance PNR. Most airlines have automation in place which will automatically cancel a booking if the name field is altered. This policy includes simple misspellings.
  • This policy pertains to all airlines.
  • Insert advice of a name correction in an OSI/SSR message to the carrier.
  • The original source of ticketing must reissue the ticket if necessary.
  • Agents ticketing multi-carrier itineraries where space has been canceled due to name change restrictions must contact each airline individually for reinstatement.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 1, 2013 at 11:02 am Reason: add AA language for ticketing name change after thread closure
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Happy New Year!

Please follow this topic here as of 1 Jan 2013: Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2013 - consolidated)

American AAdvantage Moderator Team

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.