Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2003, 6:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
ARCHIVE: Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012)

Please follow this topic here as of 1 Jan 2013: Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2013 - consolidated)

Since the topic comes up from time to time, when someone has a mishAAp, I was wondering what sorts of compensation people have received from American for various problems. The form I propose is:

Date
AAdvantage Status
Fare class
What happened
Compensation
Comments

Some examples from my experience:

Date: Feb 2002
AAdvantage Status: None
Fare class: Discount Y
What happened: Mechanical MIA-DCA causing delay of 3 h. Didn't arrive at DCA until 2 am, had to work the next day at 8 am.
Compensation $200 voucher or 5K miles or 4 500-mile upgrade certificates
Comments Wrote letter to customer relations in DFW, didn't get a reply. Called back and chose the $200 voucher.

Date November 2002
AAdvantage Status GLD
Fare class J
What happened Mechanical DCA-MIA caused me to be 45 min late to MIA. Was denied boarding MIA-LHR even though I arrived at the gate 10 min before the flight left. "Seat already given away." Spent the day at the MIA Raddisson. One less day of a European vacation. Had to pay hotel in LON for the missed night.
Compensation 10K miles
Comments Wrote in to customer relations, got the standard reply (i.e. nothing offered). Followed up with a call and was given the miles.

Date March 2003
AAdvantage Status PLT
Fare class Discount Y
What happened Food poisoning which I suspected I got from the Bistro Bag. Vomiting for two days, vacation ruined.
Compensation 2 K miles
Comments E-mailed customer service. Did not ask for anything, mainly wanted to get them to check their catering standards. Miles were a nice gesture.

Date March 2003
AAdvantage Status PLT
Fare class discount Y
What happened Bags lost for two days. No cell phone service as charger was inside.
Compensation 2.5 K miles
Comments On the phone with lost luggage via the PLT desk. Asked in a manner of passing if I was entitled to anything having not had my bags for 36 h. Agent put me on hold, called her help desk and said, "We don't usually do this, but since you're PLT, we'll give you 2.5K miles."

[This message has been edited by CharlesMD (edited 04-17-2003).]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTES

Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

• For the Guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated) prior to 2012, please see here.

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download HERE.

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
• Flights to/from Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

AA Forum Moderator Team

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 1, 2013 at 10:55 am Reason: prepare for archiving
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - consolidated)

My wife and kids have been stranded at LGA since 6 pm yesterday. AA4555 to CMH was delayed for mechanical reasons and at 10:30 pm was finally postponed until this morning when the flight attendant timed out.

AA put them up in Queens for the night, but now the flight has missed its rescheduled departure of 6:45 am.

What sort of compensation might we expect from AA? This seems pretty egregious to me, especially when there were likely flights on other airlines they could have been rebooked on last night.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:39 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by econprof
My wife and kids have been stranded at LGA since 6 pm yesterday. AA4555 to CMH was delayed for mechanical reasons and at 10:30 pm was finally postponed until this morning when the flight attendant timed out.

AA put them up in Queens for the night, but now the flight has missed its rescheduled departure of 6:45 am.

What sort of compensation might we expect from AA? This seems pretty egregious to me, especially when there were likely flights on other airlines they could have been rebooked on last night.
Did you try to call AA CS to get rebooked?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond

There were "likely flights on other airlines they could have been rebooked on" after the flight was cancelled at 10:30 PM? Likely not. Check for yourself and see.

Remember that up until 10:30, they were working on the mechanical defect. It is often difficult to predict how long that will take. The mechanic tries what will usually fix that problem. If that doesn't work, he tries something else. Then something else. All the time, they think the next thing they try will fix it. They won't even think about rebooking until the flight is cancelled, which happened at 10:30.

The flight left LGA this morning about a half-hour after its scheduled 6:45 departure.

Your wife and kids got what is required in this situation - hotel room for the night (and probably breakfast vouchers). AA might toss some miles your way for the inconvenience.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Originally Posted by gemac
There were "likely flights on other airlines they could have been rebooked on" after the flight was cancelled at 10:30 PM? Likely not. Check for yourself and see.

Remember that up until 10:30, they were working on the mechanical defect. It is often difficult to predict how long that will take. The mechanic tries what will usually fix that problem. If that doesn't work, he tries something else. Then something else. All the time, they think the next thing they try will fix it. They won't even think about rebooking until the flight is cancelled, which happened at 10:30.
At 10:30, no. But I fly this route all the time, and at 6 pm, there were definitely other options.

They were told that a plane was on its way, but then was used for a different flight.

Surely at 6 pm they might have anticipated a very long delay...

Originally Posted by gemac

The flight left LGA this morning about a half-hour after its scheduled 6:45 departure.

Your wife and kids got what is required in this situation - hotel room for the night (and probably breakfast vouchers). AA might toss some miles your way for the inconvenience.
Yes, they got vouchers. But this is hardly "compensation" for the major inconvenience...

I fly DL and LH all the time. A 12 hour delay on LH would bring all kinds of compensation.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:12 am

Howdy - I am flying stl - ord - sea today on a milesaaver one way award ticket in first. It cost 25k miles. The first flight was very delayed and I missed my second flight. I'm now scheduled to fly on a different AA flight to sea (my original ord - sea flight was on Alaska). I will be in coach. Can I get compensated for not flying in first for most of my itinerary?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:17 am
uxb

At 10:30, no. But I fly this route all the time, and at 6 pm, there were definitely other options.

They were told that a plane was on its way, but then was used for a different flight.

Surely at 6 pm they might have anticipated a very long delay...

Yes, they got vouchers. But this is hardly "compensation" for the major inconvenience...

I fly DL and LH all the time. A 12 hour delay on LH would bring all kinds of compensation.
LH is a European carrier and bound by European law, which spells out passenger rights. This doesn't exist in the US. Further to, I am not sure if you have status, but if getting home was a priority, then a call to the AA CS could've resulted in a re-routing.

As gemac stated, AA put you and your family up in a hotel and gave you breakfast vouchers. They could've made you sleep at the airport, so consider yourselves fortune.

In re: LH v. AA, I had a 12+ hr Mx on LH, and they provided me the same comp as above. However, when I arrived in JNB a day later, they provided me with nothing. Fortunately, I had travel insurance and filed a claim under that, but they later gave 5000 miles per pax.

In short, if you write off to AA CR, then expect ~ 5000/pax since they did provide hotel and meals.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:18 am
uxb

Originally Posted by uoficowboy
Howdy - I am flying stl - ord - sea today on a milesaaver one way award ticket in first. It cost 25k miles. The first flight was very delayed and I missed my second flight. I'm now scheduled to fly on a different AA flight to sea (my original ord - sea flight was on Alaska). I will be in coach. Can I get compensated for not flying in first for most of my itinerary?
You can try, and they might split the difference on the ticket.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:33 pm

OK I made it back to SEA. Came in about 3 hours later than I was scheduled, and rode in coach for the ORD-SEA leg. I did notice that I was ticketed in Y class for that leg - so maybe I'll get miles?

Either way, I plan on asking for 12.5K miles back. I think that's only fair. Who would I contact?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:36 pm
uxb

OK I made it back to SEA. Came in about 3 hours later than I was scheduled, and rode in coach for the ORD-SEA leg. I did notice that I was ticketed in Y class for that leg - so maybe I'll get miles?

Either way, I plan on asking for 12.5K miles back. I think that's only fair. Who would I contact?
AA Customer Relations. To contact them, go to aa.com, click on "Contact AA" in the upper-right-hand corner of the page. Then click on "Customer Relations" and "Compliment/Complaint/Comment" on the left-hand side. From there, you can fill in the details of your complaint. Let us know what happens.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:01 am

OK, an update:

Date Flight was on 1/2/2012, contacted AA on 1/4/2012, heard back about 8 hours later on 1/5/2012
AAdvantage Status Gold
Fare class Z/A
What happened AAnytime first class award ticket, STL-ORD, ORD-SEA. STL-ORD had over two hours of mechanical delays, so I missed my ORD-SEA flight and was put in coach on a significantly later flight.
Compensation 17.5K miles
Comments I wrote to them and asked for 12.5K miles for the difference between a coach and first AAnytime award, and 5K miles for just the all out suckiness of the trip (got in way later than scheduled, missed a bunch of work, etc etc etc. Got exactly what I asked for. I think this was very fair and I'm impressed that it went this smoothly.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: AA PLT
Date: 12/30/2011
AAdvantage Status: EXP
Fare class: S/R
What happened: AA24 SFO-JFK (the 0700 departure) was cancelled 12 hrs before departure for unclear reasons. Automatically rebooked on the 1230 departure. Didn't want to arrive 5.5 hrs later, so I rebooked to SJC-LAX-JFK. The 0605 SJC-LAX (AA3192) was delayed 4.5 hrs due to a combination of overfueling, inoperable lavatory, and fog at LAX before ultimately being cancelled due to mechanical issues, causing me to miss my LAX connection (several of them actually, the EXP desk was holding a seat for me on nearly every LAX-JFK flight that morning). Eventually got on AA3115, which departed SJC at 1045 (itself delayed, scheduled departure was 0930) and connected at LAX to AA32, which arrived at JFK at 2200 (or 6.5 hrs after my originally scheduled arrival on AA 24).
Compensation: 15k miles
Comments: After a similar round of cancellations, delays, and missed connections on an itinerary last month, I also got 15k miles. Looks like that is standard. I wish the compensation was more, as I'd gladly give up the 15k to be able to predictably get where I'm going at the scheduled time.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Date: 01/08/2012
AAdvantage Status: EXP
Fare class: A
What happened: After a maintenance delay, DFW-HNL flight today had no IFE for the majority of the flight due to "malfunction" after takeoff.
Compensation: $150 eVoucher
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Date: January 10
Fare class: X

What happened: Was upgraded into a non-working seat (no recline) on a 738 on a 3 hour flight. Second time it's happened (non-working seat, that is). Along with that, it was also noted the surfaces were peeling off of the drink trays on that flight and the next one I was on - so bad that the second flight, the FAs didn't want to put glasses down as they would tip over. That, and a piece of moulding fell off the ceiling of the plane. FA shoved it back in.

Wrote in, with good humor btw, to see what they could do about maintenance. . No compensation was expected or requested (quite honestly it wasn't that uncomfortable). They sent 10k miles my way.

The letter back seemed to indicate things only got fixed asap if it was a safety issue. Ok then.

Compensation: 10,000 miles.

Last edited by Flyer_70; Jan 12, 2012 at 8:06 pm
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:43 pm
jdh

Programs: AA Plt, Avis First, Priority Club Gold
Date: 01/08/2012
AAdvantage Status: Gold
Fare class: ?
What happened: Arrived at DFW, but subsequent weather related ramp closure led to 2-hour checked bag delay. When bags finally arrived they were completely soaked. It appeared that the bags had been left out in the rain to soak during the entirety of the ramp closure.
Compensation: $100 eVoucher

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.