Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 7/3/2012
Fare class: Y on AA Eagle
What happened: Sitting 30+ mins onboard on tarmac at DFW for DFW-SAF with no A/C or cooling before de-planing and waiting for A/C and aircraft APU fix (low on oil).

Compensation: $150 eVoucher
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: AA LTPlt,DL Silv,SPG Gld,HH Diamond,Mar Silv,IHG Gld
Opinions on compensation due

I booked a saver 1st class award Den ORD flight cancelled rebooked in seat 18a on eagle. Am I entitled to any compensation and how long should it take AA to respond to a request
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by SSheinfeld
I booked a saver 1st class award Den ORD flight cancelled rebooked in seat 18a on eagle. Am I entitled to any compensation and how long should it take AA to respond to a request
12.5k mi refund, i would think.....of course, if y saver wasn't available @ f was, perhaps nada because you got full value for the mi...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Comments?

Should have been posted in the consolidated thread on this exact topic

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

(Search term {"compensation"})

Cheers.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:53 am

June 29 DEN-ORD
Booked 1st saver
STATUS. traveller none Booker PLT
Flight cancelled reason ?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
any out of pocket $ for the pax?.....
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:13 pm

He had to buy dinner as opposed to getting served on plane. Also they charged him baggage fee which would have been free in 1st class. I did get the miles back after a little runaround Should baggage fee be refunded

Last edited by SSheinfeld; Jul 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, QF
Compensation for 48hr+ delay for EXP on F/J Award (CX metal)?

On a all partner (can't remember new term) award using AA points from Australia to Caribbean (J award from Australia to HK and then F to the US). Due to a typhoon in HK have now been delayed in excess of 48hrs (bearing in mind that it's a minimum 36hr trip with no delays!) Including an overnight in Taiwan (diversion following 2 missed approaches at HK) and a further overnight in HK when my flight to ORD was cancelled yesterday. Appreciate that weather is out of the airlines control and the 24hr delay would have been fine given they accommodated me in F on a new flight the next day. However, yesterday at HK was a debacle and delays seemed to be related to lack of staff more than anything else and the whole thing has now become a major pain in the ...!

Bottom line, if my flights were with AA I would expect them to give me a bunch of miles for the inconvenience and I'm sure they would. Given I'm not a member of the CX mileage plan, anyone got any ideas as to what I should do? Will AA care given it's not their fault?

At least I've now seen every business / first lounge in HK...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:04 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by caymanite
Bottom line, if my flights were with AA I would expect them to give me a bunch of miles for the inconvenience and I'm sure they would. Given I'm not a member of the CX mileage plan, anyone got any ideas as to what I should do? Will AA care given it's not their fault?
a. I wouldn't expect AA to fork over a bunch of miles in this situation even it were AA flights. They might give some if you ask. Good luck.

b. I don't think that AA will provide anything in any event in this case since these are CX flights.

c. This should be in the consolidation compensation thread (search term {"compensation"}) since it doesn't warrant a new thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXC PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt PLT, National Car Executive
I had a delay using AA miles flying J on CX. The Typhoon caused the delay. But the poor management of the situation since I was consider as a KA PAX. Compensation is a upgrade certificate that you are presented at the time of check in. From the CX boards its their best compensation. Though they send it certify mail so if you are not home when the mail comes a trip to the post office.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
To each their own but I would not seek compensation in this situation....
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
It is a pain when your travel plans are disrupted due to weather, especially far away from home. Do you remember the major snow incident at LHR a year or so ago? I hope things were more civil at HKG.

There is an online comment section on CX similar to what is available on AA. They may give you some compensation in the form of a future travel voucher. Or they may say that the weather was out of the control, which is quite true.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Is it possible the "lack of staff" was due to the weather, and the need handle more IRROPS due to the weather. AA shouldn't compensate you. It wasn't their flight. I don't know why you would expect CX to compensate you... It's Asia, not Europe, where even weather delays get you compensation.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:08 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by caymanite
On a all partner (can't remember new term) award using AA points from Australia to Caribbean (J award from Australia to HK and then F to the US). Due to a typhoon in HK have now been delayed in excess of 48hrs (bearing in mind that it's a minimum 36hr trip with no delays!) Including an overnight in Taiwan (diversion following 2 missed approaches at HK) and a further overnight in HK when my flight to ORD was cancelled yesterday. Appreciate that weather is out of the airlines control and the 24hr delay would have been fine given they accommodated me in F on a new flight the next day. However, yesterday at HK was a debacle and delays seemed to be related to lack of staff more than anything else and the whole thing has now become a major pain in the ...!

At least I've now seen every business / first lounge in HK...

Now that this thread has had some time to percolate on it's own, I've merged it into the main compensation thread.

/Moderator
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Date 15, July
Flight 2379 DCA -> ORD
Aadvantage Status Gold

Incoming flight (from ORD) was delayed by nearly 2 hours due to having to divert to re-fuel after being in a holding pattern for weather en route. Departure was 2.25 hours late. Arrived in ORD just as my connection to CMI was leaving which was the last flight of the night. Was informed in the AC that I had been rebooked for a 10AM flight the next day with no mention of hotel, etc.

Due to work issues the next AM, rented a car one way to CMI for $212 and arrived at midnight.

AC Angel explained how to process for a refund for the lost segment.

After reading this thread (for the 1st time - yes shame on me) I contacted AA this AM. Within 2 hours got a response with $150 evoucher. I'm ok with that.

Thanks to this group, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.