Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:23 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FlyerTalk, eXiztential!

Please note that we have a FAQ at the top of the forum for frequent questions such as this one, as well as a NEWBIE LOUNGE, where you are welcome to ask any and all questions.

In a busy forum such as this one, we strive to keep information well-organized for our members, and need assistance from all members to do so. Accordingly, we ask that everyone check out these resources and also search for existing threads before starting new threads.

We'll go ahead and merge your thread into the existing thread about compensation, which can be accessed conveniently via this FAQ entry:

FAQ: How do I request compensation for a problem or compliment an AA employee?

Enjoy!

/Moderator
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Another data point: Last March, I flew coach BOS-DFW-SJC. My BOS-DFW flight got delayed during the Dallas thunderstorms. The AC agent was able to switch my DFW-SJC flight to a later time, getting in before 11pm. The mad dog we flew DFW-SJC blew an engine leaving everyone stranded overnight in DFW. I had to sleep at the airport since most nearby hotels were booked solid.

The next morning, after several more flight cancellations, I made it to SJC ~11am vs original ~9pm. For this torture, AA gave me a $300 evoucher.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Service Recovery Voucher

I recently filed a complaint with AA because one of the representatives on the phone was rather rude to me. I didn't expect much in return (having become accustomed to bad service in the UK) but I recently received an e-mail saying that they will send me a voucher to be used on an international AA flight "so that I can experience what I should really expect from AA"... I have been away from home for quite a while, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience and can tell me whether I should expect something substantial or a $20-off voucher for my next flight...
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
When I received one last year for rude treatment at check-in it was $150. I was more interested in the apology I received so the voucher was nice.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by pianoamit
I was wondering if anyone has any experience and can tell me whether I should expect something substantial or a $20-off voucher for my next flight...
While I haven't got any experience with your specific situation, I will go ahead and merge your question into the relevant master thread.

~Moderator
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Microwave
While I haven't got any experience with your specific situation, I will go ahead and merge your question into the relevant master thread.

~Moderator
Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
Date: 10 Aug 2012
Flight: AA 1762
Class: Economy

AA 1762 PHX-DFW plane delayed 1 hour (not weather related - inbound from JAX-DFW AA1279 was cancelled, then DFW-PHX was delayed); PHX agent informed that various connections (including GRR) would make their connection, despite the delay. I was connecting to AA 2781 to GRR. Upon arrival in DFW I ran to gate B21 at got there at 8:25pm; AA2781 was still at gate, but agent refused to let me board as “she saw I had already been rebooked on another flight and did not think I was going to make it”. AA2781 pushed back 4 minutes before scheduled departure at 8:35pm.
Agent provided hotel and meal vouchers (a meal voucher is not enough to cover dinner + non alcoholic drinks by the way!)

Why not at least wait for an on-time departure for elite members? Also, the boarding process in PHX of AA1762 was the slowest I have ever seen; maybe they need to look at Southwest Airlines how they turn around planes…

Any idea about refund/customer service response?

Thanks,

Last edited by mrtrickdk; Aug 11, 2012 at 7:21 am Reason: added flight number
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by mrtrickdk

AA 1762 PHX-DFW plane delayed 1 hour (not weather related - inbound from JAX-DFW AA1279 was cancelled, then DFW-PHX was delayed); PHX agent informed that various connections (including GRR) would make their connection, despite the delay. I was connecting to AA 2781 to GRR. Upon arrival in DFW I ran to gate B21 at got there at 8:25pm; AA2781 was still at gate, but agent refused to let me board as she saw I had already been rebooked on another flight and did not think I was going to make it. AA2781 pushed back 4 minutes before scheduled departure at 8:35pm.
Agent provided hotel and meal vouchers (a meal voucher is not enough to cover dinner + non alcoholic drinks by the way!)

Why not at least wait for an on-time departure for elite members? Also, the boarding process in PHX of AA1762 was the slowest I have ever seen; maybe they need to look at Southwest Airlines how they turn around planes

Thanks,
Had a similar experience at DFW about 2 years ago where the door closed as 12 pax ran up to gate. Agent just handed us preprinted BP's (no meals etc) for next flight which was over 5 hours later. Suspected original flight was oversold so he avoided denied boarding issues. I was Plat then and CS basically told me to pound sand.Good luck.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA GLD, UA 2P
PVG - ANC - ORD: Unexpected vacation

Date: 8/10/2012
Fare class: A (miles upgrade from full fare business...D fare, I think)
What happened: AA288 diverted from PVG to ORD made an unplanned stop in ANC due to Captain illness (he spent the night in the ER but should recover fully from some sort of food related illness).

Basic story is that we stopped in Alaska and were deplaned, given hotel vouchers (no meal vouchers but they did provide granola bars and sodas while waiting for the plans to be hashed out) and scheduled to depart 23 hours after landing. Service after the resumption of flight was not really international first class...but the FAs, crew and PAX were all in pretty good humor given the circumstances.

My out of pocket costs: $20 for lunch...$2 for a diet coke
My intangible costs: Lost 1 day with the family and delayed starting a vacation

Any thoughts if they'd be willing to refund my upgrade miles? What would be fair here? What would be the best method to request compensation (website?)?

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'd ask on the website, highlighting the out of pocket cost and the impact the delay had on you. I'd expect to see some miles deposited into your account. AA can be proactive on this so I would wait a few days after the incident before writing.

Your other recourse would be to send your receipt in and ask for reimbursement, but chances are the miles you'd get for your inconvenience via a complaint on the website would cover that.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
Originally Posted by mrtrickdk

AA 1762 PHX-DFW plane delayed 1 hour (not weather related - inbound from JAX-DFW AA1279 was cancelled, then DFW-PHX was delayed); PHX agent informed that various connections (including GRR) would make their connection, despite the delay. I was connecting to AA 2781 to GRR. Upon arrival in DFW I ran to gate B21 at got there at 8:25pm; AA2781 was still at gate, but agent refused to let me board as she saw I had already been rebooked on another flight and did not think I was going to make it. AA2781 pushed back 4 minutes before scheduled departure at 8:35pm.

Why not at least wait for an on-time departure for elite members? Also, the boarding process in PHX of AA1762 was the slowest I have ever seen; maybe they need to look at Southwest Airlines how they turn around planes

Thanks,
Ended up getting 12K miles - had hoped for a bit more action, but I'll take it. This was my second trip in a row on AA with cancelled flights. Here's to hoping for tomorrows flight
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA GLD, UA 2P
Originally Posted by krannerd
Date: 8/10/2012
Fare class: A (miles upgrade from full fare business...D fare, I think)
What happened: AA288 diverted from PVG to ORD made an unplanned stop in ANC due to Captain illness (he spent the night in the ER but should recover fully from some sort of food related illness).

As it turns out, 15,000 miles deposited into my account today. I'll consider that fair and not process a complaint.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by krannerd
As it turns out, 15,000 miles deposited into my account today. I'll consider that fair and not process a complaint.
Looks like they're still being proactive on some flight issues.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: none
Thanks to all for the feedback regarding my 6 hour delay from BRU to JFK in June. Per Centipede's advice I contacted them again re-stating my claim and what I thought was due. This morning I received letter from American with an eVoucher valued at $1200!! Far exceeding the 600euros I was hoping for. It pays to complain when you are in the right!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Last week i flew lax - dfw in a broken seat. The flight was full so,I could not move. I just got 2000 miles deposited today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.