Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alec Baldwin apparently kicked off AA flight at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
I didn't realize words with friends was important work (unless he was playing with Steven Spielberg).
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Just a reminder - we can have fun with this topic, but... offensive and stereotypical remarks about a person or group are against TOS and will continue to be summarily deleted. /AA Moderator Team
That also includes ad hominem!

Sorry about the forum confusion. The 1st thread was closed earlier by this volunteer with the intention of cleaning and reopening.

Some posts had went way beyond JDiver's admonition to have fun with this topic and about made my head explode. Prior to calming down some personal matters intervened and a 2nd SNAFU began. Have only got back to the task at hand. Once again we would like to leave the topic open for yours and our enjoyment and do hope that it will continue without ad hominem directed at other members. That once again also includes offensive and sterotypical remarks about a a person or group.

thanks for your contributions

~magic111 and JDiver

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 7, 2011 at 7:37 pm Reason: sign on
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
I thought he moved to France when Al Gore lost the election. I say we ship him there immediately, then he can report back to us on the European airlines.
That's an unreasonable and offensive suggestion. Whatever have the French done to deserve THAT?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by tenn_ace
Whether one takes AA's or AB's side in this story, no one can denied that airline industry services deteriorated and the issue is not even in bad meals, etc. It's a paranoia that brought almost military rules. He sure is right calling it paramilitary.

PS. To clear the air, AA was right to throw him out after his tantrum
completely agree. AA has right to throw him out, especially it's clear violation of FAA rules.

but indeed, after 911 airline FAs have been throwing pax out for pretty much any reason they can think of.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

He sure is right calling it paramilitary.
That opinion is open to a great deal of debate.

Last edited by dayone; Dec 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mingw
after 911 airline FAs have been throwing pax out for pretty much any reason they can think of.
Another opinion, and a fact-challenged one at that, since it is the Captain who decides who gets disembarked.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's a paranoia that brought almost military rules. He sure is right calling it paramilitary.
This is America. Alec has a right to his opinion that FAs enforcing regulations are paranoid. It is possible that Alec did not lose any of his friends on 9/11. Many FAs do not share that happy circumstance. I can say from personal experience that it alters your perspective. I have a right to my opinion also.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by dayone
Another opinion, and a fact-challenged one at that, since it is the Captain who decides who gets disembarked.
yes. but the pilot doesn't walk up and down aisle to see whether every female passenger has low cut shirt. it's the FA report to pilot, and why pilot would want to deal with possible trouble in air? they just kick whoever the FA reports off and let ground or next flight deal with it...
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:34 pm

A legitimate question that arises here...

Can someone chime and let us know why — per AA's casual enforcement of FAA policy – taxiing from the gate with phones on is unacceptable before takeoff but taxiing to the gate after landing with phones on is acceptable?

Is there something fundamentally different about the pre-flight and post-flight phases that we're missing from the FAA's perspective?

In my experience on AA flights at LAX and JFK, the "it is now safe" message happens when the plane is still on (or about to cross) an active runway. If there were a need to evacuate the plane in a hurry after landing, it's just as unsafe then as before takeoff.

What am I missing?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by ilhooq
Can someone chime and let us know why — per AA's casual enforcement of FAA policy – taxiing from the gate with phones on is unacceptable before takeoff but taxiing to the gate after landing with phones on is acceptable?

Is there something fundamentally different about the pre-flight and post-flight phases that we're missing from the FAA's perspective?

In my experience on AA flights at LAX and JFK, the "it is now safe" message happens when the plane is still on (or about to cross) an active runway. If there were a need to evacuate the plane in a hurry after landing, it's just as unsafe then as before takeoff.

What am I missing?
I'd guess at least in part is that, on taxi before takeoff, the FAs souldn't be able to enforce that pax shut off their devices before wheels up.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
It's a paranoia that brought almost military rules. He sure is right calling it paramilitary.
This is a good point. From what I would term the psuedo-military TSA atmosphere to the paramilitary attitude of some flight crews, the travel experience has been chronically infected with paranoia. For those that would say, well it's 9/11, and people were traumatized, I'd agree. But I'd also add that that is no longer a valid excuse. There has been plenty of time to get help and adapt in a common sense manner.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:47 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
A Farewell to Common Sense, Style, and Service on American Airlines

By Alec Baldwin

Excerpt:
However, I have learned a valuable lesson. Airlines in the US are struggling with fuel costs, labor costs, bankruptcies, you name it. It's no secret that the level of service on US carriers has deteriorated to a point that would make Howard Hughes red-faced. Filthy planes, barely edible meals, cuts in jet service to less-traveled locations. One of the big changes, in my time, is in the increase of the post-9/11, paramilitary bearing of much of the air travel business. September 11th was a horrific day in the airline industry, yet in the wake of that event, I believe carriers and airports have used that as an excuse to make the air travel experience as inelegant as possible.

Most of the flight attendants I have ever encountered still have some remnant of the old idea of service. Add to that the notion that in this day and age, many people have a lot of important work to do, by phone, and would like to do so till the last possible minute. But there are many now who walk the aisles of an airplane with a whistle around their neck and a clipboard in their hands and they have made flying a Greyhound bus experience.
I am not an AB fan but you really need to read his whole post and not just this excerpt. I can actually see where his side of the story, being singled out, could of actually happened. In fact I am going to check and see if it was my sister in law the flight attendant who did it. She is completely capable of this type of folly.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:52 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I also believe that AA apologized to him and did everything possible to make him happy including putting him on the next flight. IMHO the facebook post was a reaction to the fact that he is able to post his views whenever he wants.
Keep in mind that he is their target Lax customer (think new entrance for him at the airport) and at least at the corporate level they must expect some of this behavior from celebrities. Whether the front line people are with the program is another issue.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:06 pm

If he's smart, he'll take this issue to the top, and make some changes in the electronics policy!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Which top? FAA, RTCA or AA -or THE TOP?

Originally Posted by skylady
If he's smart, he'll take this issue to the top, and make some changes in the electronics policy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.