Alec Baldwin apparently kicked off AA flight at LAX

 
Old Dec 6, 11, 4:26 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New England
Programs: DL/UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
Posts: 6,311
Alec Baldwin apparently kicked off AA flight at LAX

http://gothamist.com/2011/12/06/alec...t_been_kic.php

Baldwin, tweeting away "Flight attendant on American reamed me out 4 playing WORDS W FRIENDS while we sat at the gate, not moving. #nowonderamericaairisbankrupt"

Also tweeting #Theresalwaysunited

Good for AA to enforce the cell phone rule. This moron doesn't get an exception because he's a "celebrity."^
demkr is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 4:30 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
Love It

Originally Posted by demkr View Post
http://gothamist.com/2011/12/06/alec...t_been_kic.php

Baldwin, tweeting away "Flight attendant on American reamed me out 4 playing WORDS W FRIENDS while we sat at the gate, not moving. #nowonderamericaairisbankrupt"

Also tweeting #Theresalwaysunited

Good for AA to enforce the cell phone rule. This moron doesn't get an exception because he's a "celebrity."^
Love it. I just might starting flying AA.
DaddyRabbit is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 4:45 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PDX
Posts: 2,284
I thought all of the real celebs had moved to Virgin America and Air New Zealand?

Hmm, perhaps I've answered my own question.
AeroWesty is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 4:45 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM
Posts: 336
So much for "no hassles"!
mathlete is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 4:48 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by demkr View Post
[url]
Good for AA to enforce the cell phone rule. This moron doesn't get an exception because he's a "celebrity."^
You do realize that not one study has ever shown that cell phones can hurt a plane?
luigi1988 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 4:49 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SNA
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Posts: 529
Originally Posted by demkr View Post

Good for AA to enforce the cell phone rule. This moron doesn't get an exception because he's a "celebrity."^
I see your point. On the other hand, it probably doesn't help AA's bottom line to piss off celebrities. Don't they tend to buy expensive tickets?
UALpremier is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 4:52 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New England
Programs: DL/UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
Posts: 6,311
Originally Posted by luigi1988 View Post
You do realize that not one study has ever shown that cell phones can hurt a plane?
How is that relevant? Does it excuse someone from following the rules? He probably mouthed off to the FA when she asked him to turn it off.

Originally Posted by UALpremier View Post
I see your point. On the other hand, it probably doesn't help AA's bottom line to piss off celebrities. Don't they tend to buy expensive tickets?
By that standard, the argument is that anyone who buys an expensive ticket should be exempt from an FAA regulation...I don't think so
demkr is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 4:56 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 235
Also being reported here:
http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/06/alec-b...-with-friends/
It's unclear if Baldwin was removed from the plane or left voluntarily -- but he DID get off the plane and was moved to another flight.
I don't know ... probably a super cranky flight attendant on a power trip...at least based on the information that's out there. We've certainly all run into those.
toast24 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 4:56 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Posts: 7,156
Originally Posted by luigi1988 View Post
You do realize that not one study has ever shown that cell phones can hurt a plane?
Mythbusters Top 10: Mobile Phones on a Plane
kebosabi is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 4:58 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SNA
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Posts: 529
Originally Posted by demkr View Post
He probably mouthed off to the FA when she asked him to turn it off.
Or maybe he just asked for orange juice while putting away his device . . .
UALpremier is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 5:07 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by luigi1988 View Post
You do realize that not one study has ever shown that cell phones can hurt a plane?
Yes, that is true, but it has been proven cell phones impair one's mental abilities (people walking into fountains, crossing against the light, etc.). I've been on enough trips I can probably cite the FA announcement verbatim. However, I do believe there are people that need to pay attention to what's being said, and given they don't even after being told many times just proves my point.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 5:12 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New England
Programs: DL/UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
Posts: 6,311
Well, he's now taken to Twitter to bash AA and make sexist comments about the FA's.

http://www.twitter.com/AlecBaldwin

Hollywood media will be on this one fast. lol
demkr is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 5:18 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Menlo Park, CA, USA
Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Posts: 1,330
Originally Posted by demkr View Post
Well, he's now taken to Twitter to bash AA and make sexist comments about the FA's.

http://www.twitter.com/AlecBaldwin

Hollywood media will be on this one fast. lol
Sigh, another celebrity I'm going to have to curb my enthusiasm about. I used to like him. Then again, I used to like Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson too.

Maybe I need a taste transplant. (Though I think Clive Owen and Colin Firth are unlikely to be as bad as any of the three above, and they're my two current favorite actors.)
deirdre is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 5:21 pm
  #14  
PHL
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: PHL, NYC
Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Posts: 8,584
Jeez how many times do we have to go over the cell phone thing. If they really caused issues, they would be outright banned from being carried on. Do you really think everyone really turns their phones off when they put them away? The avionics and flight systems are more than capable of dealing with the interference from all sorts of electronic devices. Even pilots in the cockpit leave them on (this confirmed by numerous airline pilots)!

The FCC, on the other hand, doesn't like people trying to use their cell phones from 35000 feet. They tend to pick up too many ground stations (versus the one that you get when you are actually ON the ground).

But, if Alec was using the phone after the door closed, and even after a polite reminder, then he's just a pompous jerk. But that behavior doesn't limit itself to hollywood celebs. We see it all the time with any average Joe....
PHL is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 5:24 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ABQ
Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Posts: 1,314
Originally Posted by demkr View Post
http://gothamist.com/2011/12/06/alec...t_been_kic.php

Baldwin, tweeting away "Flight attendant on American reamed me out 4 playing WORDS W FRIENDS while we sat at the gate, not moving. #nowonderamericaairisbankrupt"

Also tweeting #Theresalwaysunited

Good for AA to enforce the cell phone rule. This moron doesn't get an exception because he's a "celebrity."^
This was probably the same FA who in an EXTREMELY rude fashion asked me to turn off my phone just as the announcement to turn off phones was beginning to be said in the PA. I showed her I was saying good bye and she proceeded to say how she wanted it off and not for me to say good bye. I thought about writing to AA about how rude she was, then they went bankrupt and I figured it was not worth it anymore as it would probably fall on deaf ears.
PS.I know I had to turn off the phone, it was just the FA's attitude - even the flyers around me were shocked.
Juanefny is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: