Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alec Baldwin apparently kicked off AA flight at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I've enjoyed watching Alec Baldwin in his many roles, but when he's not portraying someone else and goes back to being himself, he has a well documented history of being quite the jerk. This case is yet another glaring example.

We can debate all month whether the FAA policy on electronics is misguided and/or just plain wrong, but for now it is the policy. Baldwin's real complaint should be with the FAA, not AA. I look forward to seeing how that battle with the FAA resolves itself should he ever pursue it. In the meantime, he should have turned off his Ipad and left it at that. He claims the FA was rude, but I'll bet she asked politely the first couple of times. After coming back and asking for the third or fourth time and being clearly ignored, who wouldn't get a bit of an edge to their tone?

Baldwin admits that the aircraft door was closed, but does he also fully acknowledge his abusive language and the extent of his tantrum in the lavatory? Like I said, the guy is and has been a first class jerk for a long, long time and this is just another example of it.

His behavior in this instance is completely indefensible and it's a sorry commentary on the state of our society that so many people here at FT and on the national forum applaud him and villify the flight attendant. Baldwin deserves neither support nor recognition for his actions either during or after this incident. On the other hand, should he someday challenge this FAA rule through proper channels, he'll have my complete support.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 7, 2011 at 11:45 pm
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TAWS
"As for what Baldwin might think about that: his publicist Matthew Hiltzik tweeted, "hey @American_AA: How come ok 4 other 1st class passengers 2 tweet while @alecbaldwin asked to leave while using his device? #hypocrisy."

People on the plane tweeted on the incident as it happened. The rep has a good point...
The "meat" of the incident was happening as they were returning to the gate--when cell phones are generally allowed. @:-)
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Baldwin admits that the aircraft door was closed, but does he also fully acknowledge his abusive language and the extent of his tantrum in the lavatory?
As far as his post on Huffington Post is concerned, none of that stuff happened, or if it did it isn't worth mentioning.

I look forward to him flying United. Buh-bye.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:48 pm

"As for what Baldwin might think about that: his publicist Matthew Hiltzik tweeted, "hey @American_AA: How come ok 4 other 1st class passengers 2 tweet while @alecbaldwin asked to leave while using his device? #hypocrisy."

People on the plane tweeted on the incident as it happened. The rep has a good point...
After the door was reopened and electronics were again allowed?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by skylady
After the door was reopened and electronics were again allowed?
And how exactly do you know at what point they were tweeting?

I think all this just goes to show that none of us really know exactly what happened, so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
And how exactly do you know at what point they were tweeting?

I think all this just goes to show that none of us really know exactly what happened, so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge.
They could only tweet once they KNEW what was happening.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:41 am

Maybe Private Jets Are Perfect For Some

It appears, Mr. Baldwin, should fly Private Jets Exclusively. He then, perhaps, will not be hindered by the FARs that must be requested per FAA for Commercial Aircraft by said FAs. FAs must enforce situations that they see non-compliant or may be accountable to a personal fine by the FAA.

Most people getting on a plane for their destination do know the approximate time of departure. The point of pushing the phone call, the word game,.....the reason. Why? We all pretty much know the rules by now. Your point is, what?

I'm sure all here have a sense of decorum in their realm of business that is acceptable. If your Clients do not follow what your decorum of acceptability is, would you keep them as a Client? Really?

Last edited by 777GalE; Dec 8, 2011 at 12:53 am
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:02 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by 777GalE
It appears, Mr. Baldwin, should fly Private Jets Exclusively. He then, perhaps, will not be hindered by the FARs that must be requested per FAA for Commercial Aircraft by said FAs. FAs must enforce situations that they see non-compliant or may be accountable to a personal fine by the FAA.
I've been on flights where if there is a long taxi wait, the FA or pilot will announce that we could use our cell phones while taxiing. Should I snitch on them for breaking FAA rules?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gemac
This is America. Alec has a right to his opinion that FAs enforcing regulations are paranoid. It is possible that Alec did not lose any of his friends on 9/11. Many FAs do not share that happy circumstance. I can say from personal experience that it alters your perspective. I have a right to my opinion also.
Did the FA think Alec Baldwin was a terrorist threat?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Originally Posted by 777GalE

Most people getting on a plane for their destination do know the approximate time of departure. The point of pushing the phone call, the word game,.....the reason. Why? We all pretty much know the rules by now. Your point is, what?

I'm sure all here have a sense of decorum in their realm of business that is acceptable. If your Clients do not follow what your decorum of acceptability is, would you keep them as a Client? Really?
Agree, travel by private jet if you don't want hassle and to be told what to do. Most private jet crew won't disturb your phone calls and ignore the rules.
If he can't afford to travel by private jet everytime, well tough luck son, follow the rules!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:07 am

I've been on flights where if there is a long taxi wait, the FA or pilot will announce that we could use our cell phones while taxiing. Should I snitch on them for breaking FAA rules?
If the Capt. says it's okay and you are in a holding situation, and not on active runway. No, problem. No big deal!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
He's a moron! TV camaras caught him pushing a female reporter covering the story at JFK after the plane landed.

AA should blacklist him!!!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Open Jaw
AA should blacklist him!!!
As long as they don't take "30 Rock" off of the international playlist. I watch no TV at home, but do on planes, and this really is a great show during a TATL, despite the fact that he appears to be a jerk in real life.

Cheers.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I've enjoyed watching Alec Baldwin in his many roles, but when he's not portraying someone else and goes back to being himself, he has a well documented history of being quite the jerk. This case is yet another glaring example.

We can debate all month whether the FAA policy on electronics is misguided and/or just plain wrong, but for now it is the policy. Baldwin's real complaint should be with the FAA, not AA. I look forward to seeing how that battle with the FAA resolves itself should he ever pursue it. In the meantime, he should have turned off his Ipad and left it at that. He claims the FA was rude, but I'll bet she asked politely the first couple of times. After coming back and asking for the third or fourth time and being clearly ignored, who wouldn't get a bit of an edge to their tone?

Baldwin admits that the aircraft door was closed, but does he also fully acknowledge his abusive language and the extent of his tantrum in the lavatory? Like I said, the guy is and has been a first class jerk for a long, long time and this is just another example of it.

His behavior in this instance is completely indefensible and it's a sorry commentary on the state of our society that so many people here at FT and on the national forum applaud him and villify the flight attendant. Baldwin deserves neither support nor recognition for his actions either during or after this incident. On the other hand, should he someday challenge this FAA rule through proper channels, he'll have my complete support.
Excellent post. Personally, I want the ban on cell phones to stay. Do you really want to sit next to someone on a transcon flight, particularly a red eye, that is screaming into a cell phone the entire flight. Having cell phone use in midair is a nightmare waiting to happen, specifically for the poor FAs that are going to be constantly called to get involved in stopping cell phone abuse.

Believe it or not there was a time there were no cellphones and businesses did not fold, deals got done, and people somehow were able to make it to their final destination after landing. Again, if your job is so important that you no how, no way can be out of touch with your office/employer for a few hours than your company should be providing you private corporate jet travel.

If you can't go three or four hours without calling your Aunt Edna to talk about your golf game or rollercoaster ride at Disney, get a life and buy a laptop/Ipad, sign onto gogo and do something quite inflight.

As far as Baldwin, you can probably see this is an eposide on 30 Rock next season.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: AA 4.0 MM Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by PHL
Jeez how many times do we have to go over the cell phone thing. If they really caused issues, they would be outright banned from being carried on. Do you really think everyone really turns their phones off when they put them away? The avionics and flight systems are more than capable of dealing with the interference from all sorts of electronic devices. Even pilots in the cockpit leave them on (this confirmed by numerous airline pilots)!

The FCC, on the other hand, doesn't like people trying to use their cell phones from 35000 feet. They tend to pick up too many ground stations (versus the one that you get when you are actually ON the ground).

But, if Alec was using the phone after the door closed, and even after a polite reminder, then he's just a pompous jerk. But that behavior doesn't limit itself to hollywood celebs. We see it all the time with any average Joe....
Who does he think he is? Chuck Schumer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.