Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SGH-T959 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

By the way, the T&C state the same: not eligible for upgrades. (listed under header "restrictions")
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by miamigrad
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SGH-T959 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

My answer was based strictly on the information posted on the page describing these awards. Near the bottom, there's a row "Eligible for Upgrades" (or something like that). "No" is indicated in the column for Dynamic Awards.

Of course, we all know that things don't always work "in real life" the way the policy is written.
Thanks for that.

I had looked at that chart again after posting and found that too (and was just about to edit previous post, but no point now). From the chart it does seem pretty clear.

So, now my question just reduces down to the curious nature of the fare buckets being displayed. I guess AA must have some sort of internal flag other than fare bucket that determines if the flight earns miles and is upgradeable.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I suspect many with the negative comments based on a first-spin of the tool may just be a little too narrowly focused on this product vs. MilesAAver awards. I find this gives more options...for example, on days where there are no MilesAAver awards for a trip to Vegas, several Dynamic Air Award options exist starting at 30k miles RT.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:20 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JumboD
I believe this, combined with the increase in certain award "prices" (HI flights being the notable one on TB),

Raising the award price for HI, a favorite of once-per-year travelers who get all their points on credit cards, is a no brainer: they'll pay 10k more r/t for a "free" flight to HI. After all, that's the one and only thing they've been saving the miles for all year.
The AA AAdvantage Award Chart has NOT changed.

Hawaii Saver Awards are still 35K RT for Economy and 75K RT for First/Business

They were this way the last time the FT wiki was updated in March 2010
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...edule_%28AA%29

And they remain that way today when viewed on AA.com
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/f...ward-chart.jsp
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
1. This might have been a great way to use for short hops with no Saver awards.
Due to a combination of many AA miles and concerns about the long term program, I've started thinking about using some for less valuable things than international business.

Out of curiosity, I checked 9/2 one way STL-BOS, which was only available as a 25K AA award. Here it's 17K, a pretty substantial reduction. Maybe still not a great buy, but....

Last edited by siankaan1; Aug 2, 2011 at 6:29 pm Reason: Removed "too", one can never have too many miles!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by mingw
for those trips that no saaver awards are available... if you found cheaper saaver awards, then great, use that instead of this new dynamic.
That's my point, there were plenty of MileSaaver seats available for the same flights, so why would I deliberately use the Dynamic site and pay 5k more in miles?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by the400kid
That's my point, there were plenty of MileSaaver seats available for the same flights, so why would I deliberately use the Dynamic site and pay 5k more in miles?
You wouldn't, you'd wait until there aren't MileSAAver awards available. Are you trying to make a point?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by randomtask111
DynAir makes some sense though I think it'll be case-by-case for sure...

NYC to SEA

Eco MileSAAver 1-stop T 12.5k
Eco AAnytime non-stop Y 25k
Eco DynAir non-stop Q 17k
Biz/First MilesSAAver non-stop Z 25k

DynAir makes sense if:
1) You know the route is popular, so no point booking Y hoping to upgrade. (That is, if 25k Z MileSAAver is not available. Not the case here.)
2) Save 8k flying non-stop vs. AAnytime Y
Originally Posted by siankaan1
Due to a combination of many AA miles and concerns about the long term program, I've started thinking about using some for less valuable things than international business.

Out of curiosity, I checked 9/2 one way STL-BOS, which was only available as a 25K AA award. Here it's 17K, a pretty substantial reduction. Maybe still not a great buy, but....
If you're posting about a case where the new awards are a savings over the available traditional awards for the same flight (saver or anytime), it'd be useful to also post what the cash price for that trip would be.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
"Economy Class only"

Well, no need to worry about these...
The fact that this is not upgradeable, or that there is not counter-part for F awards, is a disappointing and not very appealing to me.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Agreed....I'm sure when the site is performing well, we'll see how the valuation scales.

Two things appear certain:
- On cheap, far-in-advance bookings, you're getting about 1cpm. It's a poor option for that scenario.
- On a very expensive "I have to be on this exact flight tomorrow", mingw's post early in the thread - an $1,120 R/T fare for 49k, the system does indeed seem smart enough to cap at the AAnytime award level.

So the question is what that value/redemption curve looks like in between our notional $150 R/T and our notional $1,000+ R/T. Maybe there's a narrow sweet spot in there somewhere...a place where you can get close to 2cpm and redeem somewhat less than 50,000 miles for the award.

I think of my own worst-case scenario: needing a last-minute one-way that would run about $400. (I seem to get that one once a year or so.) Could I get it for 20k instead of 25k? Who knows...
While I don't expect to use this, I think the evaluation above is very helpful -- on readily available flights/routes where flights are cheap, you can burn miles a 1 cpm, which is a terrible conversion rate.

On expensive flights/routes, where there are no Saver Awards, the redemption rate is so close to the AAnytime rate, that it is not a relevant advantage. Maybe there will be some pop up exceptions, but I have a sense this will be the proximate concept/formula.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by HNL
The AA AAdvantage Award Chart has NOT changed.

Hawaii Saver Awards are still 35K RT for Economy and 75K RT for First/Business

They were this way the last time the FT wiki was updated in March 2010
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...edule_%28AA%29

And they remain that way today when viewed on AA.com
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/f...ward-chart.jsp
I am going by the TB posting where the OP states that the price quoted today was 35k o/w for F to HI, but that the price was going up to 37.5k as of this month.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:14 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JumboD
I am going by the TB posting where the OP states that the price quoted today was 35k o/w for F to HI, but that the price was going up to 37.5k as of this month.
If you read past the initial post you would have seen that the OP indicated they were mistaken.

http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...3&postcount=21

F/J North America to Hawaii has been 37.5K for a while now.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I suspect many with the negative comments based on a first-spin of the tool may just be a little too narrowly focused on this product vs. MilesAAver awards. I find this gives more options...for example, on days where there are no MilesAAver awards for a trip to Vegas, several Dynamic Air Award options exist starting at 30k miles RT.
Which does make it similar in some ways to Delta's 3-tier system. However, the AAnytime award mileage requirements haven't gone up (DL High awards I think are > 2x the Low) and the "middle" price is variable (may be better or worse than DL Middle awards).

We do have to hope that they don't reduce overall MilesAAver availability.

But I still think it's bad value for the mileage. IMO, any domestic mileage award except maybe Transcon premium class isn't great value, even at the MilesAAver level. Except perhaps for a last minute trip where there is plenty of inventory but not enough advance purchase for reasonable fares.
Me, I'll stick to international premium awards, preferably on partners...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by the400kid
you won't. why you would?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by britenbsas
But not for all of us it seems - "Elite status members residing in the United States" according to aa.com. Why is it necessary to block these awards for loyal AA elite status members living in other countries
I don't see any justification for that but it's no longer a surprise to me after the 30th anniversary set up.

Annoyingly, when I log in it allows me to see redemption rates so I'm assuming I'll only find out for sure that I've been discriminated against when I try to confirm my request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.