Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Not changeable, and reservations can't be put on Hold...not appealing to me.
Fully changeable for EXP's.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat4Life 3.9mm, UA, BA, Intergalactic Spacelines
After spending some time with this "Dynamic Aawards" site brought to you by the Scientists at AA Laboratories, I've come to the conclusion that they simply put lipstick on a pig, and called it pretty.
There are more cons than pros.
The Cons: Why not tickets to Hawaii? Puerto Rico? Virgin Islands? Why not domestic first? Also, the best mileage fares are on cheap ticket routes where I would just buy the tickets outright. So.......... It makes me wonder, what was the motive of the Aadvantage Think Tank to come up with Dynamic Awards? Hmmmmm.
The Pros: Dynamic Awards is an engine to siphon off as many miles as possible from the unsuspecting Mileage Rookies out there, which is fine with me. Once the pool of billions of Aadvantage miles starts to dry up, it will leave more Saver seats available for Flyer Talkers when we need them.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by mreed911
Fully changeable for EXP's.
EXPs may redeposit for no fee, then book a new award. That's not technically the same as "changeable."
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by envgeo
Does this portend an AA style RR2.0? I hope not.
I think your comparison to WN's RR2.0, with fare-based mileage cost, is more apt than to the 3-tier pricing used by Delta (and Alaska on its coach-class awards). Like JDiver says, it's a trial.

Where one is already giving up date-change flexibility, the discount vs. Saver awards has to be pretty steep to appeal to me.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:05 pm

1. This might have been a great way to use for short hops with no Saver awards.

2. It's indeed better for them to make a dynamic OW award instead of calling AA every day to check your CX/QF/JL flights are available across the pond.

3. I think for mid to top tier AA elites, they should have this dynamic award even lower than Saver award instead of AAnytime. I would never use AAnytime only if I have to make last-min ticketing.

Originally Posted by JDiver
I suspect and speculate this may be a revenue management driven option that is being trialled and may die out - or, be expanded significantly if it seems to get sufficient use and works from AA's POV.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by billgrates3
What's the fare inventory for these new awards?

With Aanytime, if I buy a ticket for my son to visit (EWR-SAC or SFO) he can get an exit row seat, as it's booked in Y. With saaver, it's in T so just regular econ seating.
I'm wondering about Dynamic, as the miles saved seems to be rather minimal.
+1 - Hope its Y or B.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by Spiff
"Economy Class only"

Well, no need to worry about these...
+1

I would never waste my miles on this...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by zphelj
+1 - Hope its Y or B.
I just pieced out a DFW - MSP with Dynamic and it was showing me Q. Probably route and time specific each time, but I was hoping for Y as well.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by zphelj
+1 - Hope its Y or B.
since it's tied to currently available fare, my feeling is it would be booked into that fare.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
I meant that I think the RM engine is driving the cost, as the "miles price" seems to be related to the fares pricing
Oh yes, in that regard I agree completely.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, BA Gold, *wood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Not all destinations available

I was trying to look at LAX - TRI (Tri-cities airport in NE Tennessee). TRI is not in the list of cities included. I don't know if this is an oversight or intentional.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I wonder if this Would be useful for booking flights during the holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and when Saver awards are not available. If you are visiting family, you are less likely to need to change flight dates and if you already have enough miles to re-qualify by the end of the year, it may be an option to spend some miles instead of paying for the tickets.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Git-er-dun
There are more cons than pros.
The Cons: Why not tickets to Hawaii? Puerto Rico? Virgin Islands? Why not domestic first?
I'll give them a pass on these limitations, as well as the restriction that these are only available to elites, on the assumption that this roll-out is essentially a trial program.

If the program proves popular with passengers, and if it helps the AA balance sheet, then I'd expect these limitations will be eased in the future.

What does seem more problematic to me, though, is that now I need to perform two separate searches from separate pages to find the award ticket that best suits my needs. That's pretty clumsy.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Are these tickets upgradeable?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Are these tickets upgradeable?
No

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.