Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:47 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like AA is rolling out a new redemption program fro AAdvantage Elites, called Dynamic Air.

https://www.useaamiles.com/air/

Thanks to the tip off on Traveling Better.
http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...5143#post35143

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

AA's webpage describing Dynamic Air Awards can be found here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/dynamicair.jsp

AmericanAirlines has also posted the following downthread:
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Hello FT'ers,

Looks like you already discovered our new award option – way to be on the ball! For those who are interested, here are the full details.

As a continuation of our 30th anniversary celebration, we're excited to introduce new Dynamic Air awards exclusively for our elite status members (Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum). With this new award, you can use your miles to book any Economy Class seat on any flight for travel within the U.S. 48 for fewer miles than what's required for an AAnytime award. It might even be fewer miles than our traditional MileSAAver award! The number of miles needed is based on applicable published fares. As fares vary so will the amount of miles required. There are no black-out dates or inventory restrictions. If there’s a seat available for sale with cash, you can use your miles instead.

However, as some of you have noted, there are a few limitations (here’s where the fine print comes in)… these awards are only available for Economy Class seats on flights within the U.S. 48 and once booked, these awards can’t be changed. Except for our Exec Plats, cancellations will incur a mileage reinstatement fee.

But don’t worry, you’re still able to book MileSAAver and AAnytime awards. Now, you’ll just have an additional option when redeeming miles for travel.

You’ve asked for more flexibility with your miles and we’re listening. I encourage you to check out this new award type and I’m interested to hear what you think. You can book these awards and also learn more at AA.com/DynamicAirAwards.

Maya Leibman
President – AAdvantage Loyalty Program
dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 2, 2011 at 10:47 am
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Interesting...although more interesting is the fact that at least some award tickets will require more miles come August 6th. Not sure I saw that mentioned before.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat4Life 3.9mm, UA, BA, Intergalactic Spacelines
Nice Find. I'll have to run a bunch of dummy routes to see what's going to open up for AA elites.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Here's the AA link:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/dynamica...tle=dynamicair

Hmm. Economy only, not changeable, only bookable online, "US mainland" only, and (if I understand correctly) mileage cost is ≤ AAnytime. Doesn't sound like anything I will ever use.

Now, what about these rumors about mileage awards increasing?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Not changeable, and reservations can't be put on Hold...not appealing to me.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Economy Class only"

Well, no need to worry about these...
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
it's basically guarantees no worse than AAnytime. I tried a flight tomorrow $1120 and it's asking for 49000 miles + $10, i.e., you save 1000 miles. strangely on the friday return it can only show one flight.

tried another flight way out and it's about 1.37c/mile.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: EXP- finally
"AAdvantage elite status members can book a Dynamic Air award for as few as 10,000 miles one-way or 20,000 miles round-trip"

so 10,000 miles difference for a economy ticket. Meh. A loser thought this up.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Not changeable, and reservations can't be put on Hold...not appealing to me.
for EXPs probably doesn't matter as it's refundable and EXPs don't get charged re-depositing miles. they can just book another flight...

for others they probably would think the savings of miles vs. possible schedule change, but then, if they buy normal non-refundable ticket it's $150 fee for changing schedule, same as the amount for re-depositing miles.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by tugokc
"AAdvantage elite status members can book a Dynamic Air award for as few as 10,000 miles one-way or 20,000 miles round-trip"

so 10,000 miles difference for a economy ticket. Meh. A loser thought this up.
No, 5K to 30K.

12.5K MileSAAver x2 = 25K, so you can save up to 5K
25K AAnytime x2 = 50K, so you can save up to 30K

More importantly, it's based on the published fare, not the miles, so as the price changes so will the redemption level. As an example, compare AUS-JFK with AUS-DEN for December 17th.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:16 pm

it could be really good for some cheap flights, if there're no savers available: instead of paying 50,000 for anytime, you may only pay 20 some thousand.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Okay, so I found a flight cheaper than a regular saver award: DFW-MSY roundtrip on Wednesdays in September. Dynamic price 22K miles + $5. Saver price 25K miles + $5. Cash price $86 each way, $186 all-in.

22K miles to save $181 is about 0.8 cents/mile return. That's pretty poor. Plus compared to the regular award, I lose the ability to put it on hold, and to make free changes: that's significant.

Unlike many here, I do sometimes use miles for domestic travel, and since flights from DFW are all short, it's rarely worth it to burn the extra miles for F. But my threshold is high, tickets have to be expensive before I'll use miles instead of buying.

If this ratio of miles to cash cost is typical, it's hard to see when this would ever be worthwhile.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm a little afraid that this new 'dynamic' system is a cloak for just a new tier, ala SkyPesos where you can't find much of any availability at the 25k level anymore. Really disconcerting if AA goes that route. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but seeing what happened at DL gives you a little pause, no?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by denCSA
I'm a little afraid that this new 'dynamic' system is a cloak for just a new tier, ala SkyPesos where you can't find much of any availability at the 25k level anymore. Really disconcerting if AA goes that route. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but seeing what happened at DL gives you a little pause, no?
Perhaps you're right...but doing a few searches I was able to find a number of options where the 'dynamic' cost was only 20k miles RT. So it does appear that in some instances you will come out ahead with this system.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:06 pm

Definitely seems like a low value program intended to wipe out liability on the books. I tried a SFO-MIA non-stop, where it wanted 24K miles vs. the same seat available on Saver for 12.5K. I predict Saver award availability will drop as a result of this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.