Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by gerald5
Definitely seems like a low value program intended to wipe out liability on the books. I tried a SFO-MIA non-stop, where it wanted 24K miles vs. the same seat available on Saver for 12.5K. I predict Saver award availability will drop as a result of this.
I predict your prediction will be wrong.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I suspect and speculate this may be a revenue management driven option that is being trialled and may die out - or, be expanded significantly if it seems to get sufficient use and works from AA's POV.

Originally Posted by denCSA
I'm a little afraid that this new 'dynamic' system is a cloak for just a new tier, ala SkyPesos where you can't find much of any availability at the 25k level anymore. Really disconcerting if AA goes that route. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but seeing what happened at DL gives you a little pause, no?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:17 am

For me this new "tier" is already showing a benefit. LAS - CHS is only showing Anytime Award availability for my dates. (50,000) But with the Dynamic Award it's only going to be 40,000.

Though in going through steps it seems like the WEB functionality is not as good as the "regular" award engine.

Seat selection must be entered manually. (though there is a look up funtion that will show what seats are empty)

And is there ANY link to the Dynamic Air Awards on AA's WEB site? You would think when you go to start an award reservation it would be one of the options.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:55 am
Company Representative - American Airlines

Programs: American Airlines
Hello FT'ers,

Looks like you already discovered our new award option – way to be on the ball! For those who are interested, here are the full details.

As a continuation of our 30th anniversary celebration, we're excited to introduce new Dynamic Air awards exclusively for our elite status members (Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum). With this new award, you can use your miles to book any Economy Class seat on any flight for travel within the U.S. 48 for fewer miles than what's required for an AAnytime award. It might even be fewer miles than our traditional MileSAAver award! The number of miles needed is based on applicable published fares. As fares vary so will the amount of miles required. There are no black-out dates or inventory restrictions. If there’s a seat available for sale with cash, you can use your miles instead.

However, as some of you have noted, there are a few limitations (here’s where the fine print comes in)… these awards are only available for Economy Class seats on flights within the U.S. 48 and once booked, these awards can’t be changed. Except for our Exec Plats, cancellations will incur a mileage reinstatement fee.

But don’t worry, you’re still able to book MileSAAver and AAnytime awards. Now, you’ll just have an additional option when redeeming miles for travel.

You’ve asked for more flexibility with your miles and we’re listening. I encourage you to check out this new award type and I’m interested to hear what you think. You can book these awards and also learn more at AA.com/DynamicAirAwards.

Maya Leibman
President – AAdvantage Loyalty Program
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:04 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Hello FT'ers,

Maya Leibman
President – AAdvantage Loyalty Program
Appreciate the change in tone and content in the AmericanAirlines posting on FT. You're newer posts provide a much better experience and are more informative than the initial attempts.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
But don’t worry, you’re still able to book MileSAAver and AAnytime awards. Now, you’ll just have an additional option when redeeming miles for travel.
As long as that's true, this is a welcome addition, even if I may never take AAdvantage of it. I'm all for more choices. ^
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by HNL
Appreciate the change in tone and content in the AmericanAirlines posting on FT. You're newer posts provide a much better experience and are more informative than the initial attempts.
Thank you! We're happy to be a part of the FT community.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:16 am

Is there a link SOMEWHERE on AA's WEB site that will take me to those Dynamic Awards or do I have to already know what the link is?
Thanks
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by pkerr
Is there a link SOMEWHERE on AA's WEB site that will take me to those Dynamic Awards or do I have to already know what the link is?
Thanks
Yes - you can use AA.com/DynamicAirAwards.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Does this portend an AA style RR2.0? I hope not.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I just tried a sample redemption and got around a penny per mile.

13,625 to 14,000 miles spent, depending on whether you're Gold or above, + $5 for a $148 all-in one-way ticket. (I purposely selected a short flight to keep the costs of flying the award as low as possible, either 625 or 1000 miles above the posted price on the site.)

I am not sure whether there's an interesting niche here or not. I don't redeem a lot of U.S. mainland awards. I like the base 12.5k award to go U.S. to/from Canada but that's about it in terms of short-hauls for me.

I guess I can't complain if it's a true new option and not an evolution of the main awards we typically redeem. Probably not one I'll use though...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
For me this new "tier" is already showing a benefit. LAS - CHS is only showing Anytime Award availability for my dates. (50,000) But with the Dynamic Award it's only going to be 40,000.
What would the price be for your dates if you were paying cash instead?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by pinniped
I just tried a sample redemption and got around a penny per mile.
This would seem to make the program somewhat similar -- at least in its value proposition -- to DL's Pay With Miles option (which assigns a fixed value of 1 cent per mile to the price of a ticket).
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Just got the e-mail announcement:

----------------------
Introducing Dynamic Air Awards

As an AAdvantage Executive Platinum® member, you have exclusive access to a new flight redemption option with Dynamic AirSM awards. You can now use your American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to book any Economy Class seat for travel within the U.S.* for fewer miles than what is required for an AAnytime® award. The number of miles required for Dynamic Air awards is based on published fares and will vary as fares vary.

American Airlines is pleased to offer this option in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the AAdvantage program. Dynamic Air awards are available to you in addition to MileSAAver® and AAnytime awards, so you now have more flexibility when redeeming miles for air travel.
Learn more about your award choices.

With this enhancement to flight awards, the miles you've earned are more valuable than ever before. Do more with your miles. Book today at AA.com/DynamicAirAwards

-----------------------

so will this affect expanded availability to EXPs of MileSAAver awards?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Take a peek at the OP; it is there. Also on aa.com you can use their search for "dynamic air".

I am all for more choices as well, and hope that is what this remains as. I also thank AmericanAirlines for his / her participation.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.