Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by pkerr
To clarify the question... when I get a dynamic Award for a non status passenger, do they get free bags and preferred seats the same as if an Anytime Award was used?
I do not believe so. It would be just like a revenue ticket:
- no exception based on status (passenger doesn't have, per your post)
- no exception based on the itinerary (only domestic Dynamic Air Awards available at this point)

I can't see a circumstance in which they would get free checked baggage allowance or preferred seating. However, if someone can demonstrate otherwise, I'd be interested in knowing that, too.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
I gave them a call and no freebies for Dynamic Awards.

So I saved 2,000 miles over an Anytime award but won't get free bags or preferred seats for my traveler.

Oh well. Live and learn. Never assume.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 3:57 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pkerr
I gave them a call and no freebies for Dynamic Awards.

So I saved 2,000 miles over an Anytime award but won't get free bags or preferred seats for my traveler.

Oh well. Live and learn. Never assume.
So it's effectively a Priceline-type ticket, then?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: 1MM AA - finally
Originally Posted by miamigrad
I do not believe so. It would be just like a revenue ticket:
- no exception based on status (passenger doesn't have, per your post)
- no exception based on the itinerary (only domestic Dynamic Air Awards available at this point)

I can't see a circumstance in which they would get free checked baggage allowance or preferred seating. However, if someone can demonstrate otherwise, I'd be interested in knowing that, too.
This has happened, but only because the DAA passenger is traveling with us.

Our family is traveling with our Au Pair next year. I couldn't get a sAAver award that had reasonable connection times/dates. She doesn't care about collecting miles like we do. So I bought the family tickets and used the DAA for her and put her on the same flights as us. She did not have access to the premium seats, however once I got a reservation number I called and asked the agent to move her up by us and to link the itineraries.

I'm not entirely pleased with the cost. I chose flights that were cheapest for the family, but it really didn't seem like it actually saved me any miles in the DAA compared to the cost of flights on the same day. I'm guessing there's some threshold range and maybe the flights I chose were on the bottom of that.

Also, I'm really disappointed in the lack of sAAver awards I'm finding...

ETA: Oh and the booking was weird. It's like they are half using the AA vacations setup or something. I kind of felt like I wasn't supposed to really use that to book her a flight because she didn't have a US or US territory passport.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
I was surprised to find that not all continental U.S. cities are available (at least not showing) for use in Dynamic Air Awards.

I wanted to visit a friend in Wilmington (ILM). I immediately went to the Dynamic Air Awards booking page first to see what was available and, to my surprise, ILM wasn't available in the list of cities. I assumed that Wilmington route had been dropped. But, that's not the case... it's still bookable either as revenue ticket, or as a standard/MileSAAver award. Very odd...
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:40 pm

How do I select seats for someone booked on one of these?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:55 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nall
How do I select seats for someone booked on one of these?
I've never used the Dynamic Awards before, but I thought that once they ticketed, you could still do whatever you need (e.g., seat selection) via the "my reservations" section of AA.com or by pulling up the PNR using the record locator. Are you unable to see the itinerary online?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Do these still exist? Last time I tried it on an empty flight to a domestic destination, it didn't offer anything other than normal awards.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by JY1024
I've never used the Dynamic Awards before, but I thought that once they ticketed, you could still do whatever you need (e.g., seat selection) via the "my reservations" section of AA.com or by pulling up the PNR using the record locator.
This is correct once it is ticketed. If I recall correctly, I was unable to select preferred seats when I was booking but was able to do so afterwards once ticketed.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Do these still exist? Last time I tried it on an empty flight to a domestic destination, it didn't offer anything other than normal awards.
Did you go to the separate site to book the Dynamic award? I've never seen a "normal" award show on the Dynamic site and of course have never seen Dynamic awards available on the aa.com booking site.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Did you go to the separate site to book the Dynamic award? I've never seen a "normal" award show on the Dynamic site and of course have never seen Dynamic awards available on the aa.com booking site.
You have to go here to do the Dynamic thing...
https://www.useaamiles.com/air/
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:34 pm

This is correct once it is ticketed. If I recall correctly, I was unable to select preferred seats when I was booking but was able to do so afterwards once ticketed.
Just an FYI on selecting seats. For some reason, and AA doesn't know why, even if you are an elite, you can not select Preferred seats. Only Preferred Plus.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:44 pm

Yes, that's what it was. I just had to wait a while for it to be ticketed. Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA Gold, SPG, Marriott Gold
Snatched up a Dynamic Award last night. My wife is taking our 1 yr daughter to see family while the baby can still fly free. I was able to get the non-stop saaver award, but could get her back non-stop saaver (not willing to connect with a 2 yr old in tow).

So I tried Dynamic. Was pleased to see they had a non-stop for 17k miles. Saved 8k over anytime.

I am hoping the wife can flash the citi AA and get the bags free.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 1:20 am

Do these no longer offer all flights? Some Eagle routes out of MIA in December it's not coming up with anything, or only offering to route me on mainline through Dallas (e.g., JAX)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.