Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
So a Canadian member is upset that an AMERICAN airlines focuses on AMERICAN passengers? There's always Air Canada.

That'd be like an American member upset that an overseas airline tailored their program for local participants, or had significant additional surcharges that foreign members had to endure to participate in their program. Oh, wait...
Always good to hear the "I'm alright, Jack" sympathy message from Texas. I understand the optics from your end, mreed, but please consider the possibility that American is an international company, competing earnestly in international markets, including the huge one where I live. They spend millions a year on advertising in my city, they run an Admirals Club in my local airport, they compete on fares and routes specific to my market. The seem to want our business.

The point I'm driving here is a bit more subtle than it may appear: the company is perfectly capable (or they used to be) of widening the net they cast with promotions, bonuses and other non-core goodies in AAdvantage. That changed. I'm suspicious that the reason may be based upon bad reasoning and I'd like to at least try to smoke them out (or make them think) before I follow your advice and abandon them. I like AA. I prefer AA. I got PLatinum last year and anyone living in YYZ knows that takes some commitment. I could possibly be doing them a favour, opening their eyes. I will not be surprised if AA takes a second look, modifies the Terms on some promos and I, and they, benefit from it.

I may be Canadian, but I fly American.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Could we keep these OT rants out of the Dynamic Air Awards thread. Perhaps the other rant thread the poster created today would be a better place for this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tage-lite.html
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Could we keep these OT rants out of the Dynamic Air Awards thread. Perhaps the other rant thread the poster created today would be a better place for this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tage-lite.html
Fair enough. Thanks for the hearing. Back to regularly scheduled programming...
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by mreed911
So a Canadian member is upset that an AMERICAN airlines focuses on AMERICAN passengers? There's always Air Canada.

That'd be like an American member upset that an overseas airline tailored their program for local participants, or had significant additional surcharges that foreign members had to endure to participate in their program. Oh, wait...
Ha you should see the uproar you Americans made when British Airways p***ed all over the miles you got for free from Chase and transferring Amex points
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Ha you should see the uproar you Americans made when British Airways p***ed all over the miles you got for free from Chase and transferring Amex points
Um, that's what I was referring to...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
There has been some discussion if the Dynamic awards are really worth it or that they might some how lead to an additional redemtion tier, etc. etc.

Here's an example of a REALLY good value. At least for me.

I need to book a one way from SNA to STL on Nov 29. No Mile Saver awards are available at 12,500, only Anytime awards at 25,000.

To purchase it would be it would be $122 or $177 (depending on the flight), Not to bad but I'd rather use miles at this time.

To use a Dynamic award it's only 12,000 miles or 15,000 miles (again, depending on which flight I take.)

Miles wise, not bad considering doing it the "regular" way I'd have to pony up 25,000.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by pkerr
There has been some discussion if the Dynamic awards are really worth it or that they might some how lead to an additional redemtion tier, etc. etc.

Here's an example of a REALLY good value. At least for me.

I need to book a one way from SNA to STL on Nov 29. No Mile Saver awards are available at 12,500, only Anytime awards at 25,000.

To purchase it would be it would be $122 or $177 (depending on the flight), Not to bad but I'd rather use miles at this time.

To use a Dynamic award it's only 12,000 miles or 15,000 miles (again, depending on which flight I take.)

Miles wise, not bad considering doing it the "regular" way I'd have to pony up 25,000.
Urgh.... if you think 1cpm redemption value is REALLY good value I would hate to see what you think bad value is
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:49 pm

I'm not comparing whether it's better to spend the $$ vs. using the miles, I'm comparing what it would have cost me if there wasn't a Dynamic Award program.

With the Dynamic award the most it would be is 15,000 miles vs. the 25,000 Anytime.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Cancellation / Redeposit timing

Just booked a Dynamic Award, then decided to cancel it and redeposit the miles (not a problem since no penalty or fee for EXP redeposit). When I called to cancel, the agent said to allow 5 to 10 days for the miles to show back up in my account! I hope they're exaggerating - don't expect that I'll need the miles before then, but amazing that they went out of my account in about 30 seconds but it might take 10 days for them to go back!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:43 am

I'm sure the answer is simply, "no way" to the question I'm about to ask, but what the heck.

I booked my family on PHX-MIA, connect in DFW, a while back for 12.5k. The price was pretty high at the time and it was an ok use of miles. I check back from time to time to see whether the nonstop on this route (one per day) ever opens up at 12.5k so I can try to change the ticket, but it's always an anytime award. However, I also recently became gold lite by virtue of the World Elite card and now have access to dynamic awards. The nonstop is only 17k, and I'd pay an extra 4.5k to have the nonstop. I assume this is a no go and there's no way to do this other than cancelling, redepositing, and rebooking. But I thought I'd ask just in case.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lkar
I'm sure the answer is simply, "no way" to the question I'm about to ask, but what the heck.

I booked my family on PHX-MIA, connect in DFW, a while back for 12.5k. The price was pretty high at the time and it was an ok use of miles. I check back from time to time to see whether the nonstop on this route (one per day) ever opens up at 12.5k so I can try to change the ticket, but it's always an anytime award. However, I also recently became gold lite by virtue of the World Elite card and now have access to dynamic awards. The nonstop is only 17k, and I'd pay an extra 4.5k to have the nonstop. I assume this is a no go and there's no way to do this other than cancelling, redepositing, and rebooking. But I thought I'd ask just in case.
I'd call AA and ask them. Unless you ask, you won't know what the answer is. Give it a shot and report back. Maybe since its more miles they'd do it. Maybe not. Can't hurt to try though.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:10 pm

I couldn't find it here or on AA's WEB site but do Dynamic Award users get "prefered" seating or free bags? (the person who is using the ticket has no status)
Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SGH-T959 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Originally Posted by pkerr
I couldn't find it here or on AA's WEB site but do Dynamic Award users get "prefered" seating or free bags? (the person who is using the ticket has no status)
Thanks
Dynamic Air Awards are only available to elite status members, per the T&C
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by miamigrad
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SGH-T959 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Dynamic Air Awards are only available to elite status members, per the T&C
To clarify the question... when I get a dynamic Award for a non status passenger, do they get free bags and preferred seats the same as if an Anytime Award was used?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mikelat
I'd call AA and ask them. Unless you ask, you won't know what the answer is. Give it a shot and report back. Maybe since its more miles they'd do it. Maybe not. Can't hurt to try though.
I'll give a try. I wanted to have my ducks in a row first to know whether there were any tricks.

Edit: Upgrading to dynamic redemption without paying the redeposit fee is a no go. However, upgrading to a standard award or a first milesaver (or, I guess anything that requires more miles) does not require a redeposit fee. At least, that's what I was told today.

Last edited by lkar; Nov 10, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.