Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by pkerr
I for one like it.
I've used it twice. Saved a total of about 10,000 miles compared to what a Anytime award would have been.
I think this is exactly what AA is hoping for -- that people will compare the Dynamic cost to the AAnytime cost and will feel that it's a good deal, when in reality the MileSAAver award (i.e. what used to be the only kind of award) is the best deal.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
While I cannot say I've done it with my own experience, I've been cancelling and redepositing and changing awards for me and my wife a lot in the last few weeks, and each time I try to change, the EXP agent asks if the miles for my wife come from my account to avoid fees. That makes it sound pretty clear to me that the fees are not there if the miles come from the account of an EXP.
I've cancelled two award tickets for a friend of mine with no status and I didn't have any re-deposit fee on them since the tickets had been booked out of my miles.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I think this is exactly what AA is hoping for -- that people will compare the Dynamic cost to the AAnytime cost and will feel that it's a good deal, when in reality the MileSAAver award (i.e. what used to be the only kind of award) is the best deal.
Well sure, but there are situations where the Dynamic AAward is the best deal because there are no MileSAAver awards available.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Ross0
Can anyone confirm that EXPs are exempt from redeposit and cancellation fees if the miles come from the EXP's account, but are used for a ticket for a non-elite flyer?

I'm holding an AAnytime award for a friend and just learned that I could save 8k if I use the Dynamic AAward instead. The whole reason for using the miles as opposed to buying the ticket is she needs flexibility and may not be able to fly that weekend. So, I need to have the option to cancel without fee/penalty.

Thanks
Confirmed, I've cancelled and redeposited a Dynamic award for my daughter (miles from my account) without fees.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:42 am

All in Favour of Candid Feedback

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Unfortunately, due to some technical limitations we are unable to offer Dynamic Air awards to members outside of the US at this time. We appreciate the candid feedback...
Ok, you asked for candid, here's candid.

Your phrase "technical limitations" is used only and always to conceal. You claim it's impossible to include Canadians and other foreigners in AAdvantage's full benefits, including some bonus offers, many promotions and all contests. You claim the reason is "technical".

Please describe the technical problem. If you don't personally understand it because it's "technical", no problem. Please get the technical person who understands it to describe it, paste the description into a post right here. Don't worry that we can't understand it here in the FT community, we'll deal with that problem. We're resourceful that way.

You might also explain why British Airways includes Canadians in their equivalent of your EUR11 promotion, while you exclude Canadians from your version.

Thanks very much. Candid feedback welcome.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by yyzgayguy
Please describe the technical problem. If you don't personally understand it because it's "technical", no problem. Please get the technical person who understands it to describe it, paste the description into a post right here.
I know you're frustrated, but it's worth pointing out that the people that post under the AmericanAirlines handle aren't AA employees, so probably couldn't easily get access to any kind of technical limitations, even if AA were willing to publish them (which I doubt they would, given that they would probably want to keep their IT issues hidden from competitors).
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
...the people that post under the AmericanAirlines handle aren't AA employees...
So I've misunderstood the phrase "company representative"?
Misunderstood the reason the handle AmericanAirlines appears green in my browser?
Incorrectly inferred from the content of that member's messages that the content was sanctioned by AA?

I guess it's a Canadian thing.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
So I've misunderstood the phrase "company representative"?
Misunderstood the reason the handle AmericanAirlines appears green in my browser?
Incorrectly inferred from the content of that member's messages that the content was sanctioned by AA?
Without getting too deeply into it, content by AmericanAirlines is posted by representatives of AA working for their PR firm, Weber Shandwick. So you can surely see that their PR firm probably doesn't have direct access to IT managers and internal folks that can provide that kind of detail.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:18 am

Without getting too deeply into it, content by AmericanAirlines is posted by representatives of AA working for their PR firm, Weber Shandwick. So you can surely see that their PR firm probably doesn't have direct access to IT managers and internal folks that can provide that kind of detail.
No, I can't easily see that, actually.

But one can surely see that I'm sceptical of their claim that the problem is "technical". I don't think my scepticism is a big stretch. The purpose of my challenge is to prompt a more useful explanation for the thinning of the AAdvantage experience for Canadian residents. The PR firm is doing their job, offering a completely unrevealing answer after the first salvo. They can do that in their sleep, without even contacting their client.

These exchanges only get interesting after the PR firm decides there's a question to be answered and their bluff has not put out the fire. It's useful in these cases to appear to be motivated, resourceful and slightly unhinged, if a bit wordy. How'm I doing?

It's fine for other FT members to try to silence me, out of sympathy for the PR firm, or the airline, or embarrassment over my tone. But let's be honest: you don't have a dog in this race because you don't live in Canada.

If other Canadians tell me I'm off base, it'll carry some weight for me. Forgive me if I'm unimpressed by "slow down, fella" messages from US residents on this particular matter.

Last edited by yyzAAguy; Sep 20, 2011 at 10:28 am Reason: more to say
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:33 am

But one can surely see that I'm sceptical of their claim that the problem is "technical".
I'm not trying to debate you on that point--I'm just pointing out that WS do the posting, not AA/AMR employees directly. I'll leave it to others to engage you on debate about your skepticism.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:37 am

I'm not trying to debate you on that point--I'm just pointing out that WS do the posting, not AA/AMR employees directly. I'll leave it to others to engage you on debate about your skepticism.
what is your source of information as to the identity of the person posting as "AmericanAirlines"?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
what is your source of information as to the identity of the person posting as "AmericanAirlines"?
Reliable sources on other realms of the internets... PM me if you'd like a link--I'm not sure of the propriety of posting it here.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:28 pm

Reliable sources on other realms of the internets... PM me if you'd like a link--I'm not sure of the propriety of posting it here.
i think the information might be outdated
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
i think the information might be outdated
YGPM.
As far as this thread is concerned, I'll avoid (further?) hijacking it for this discussion.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
It's fine for other FT members to try to silence me, out of sympathy for the PR firm, or the airline, or embarrassment over my tone. But let's be honest: you don't have a dog in this race because you don't live in Canada.

If other Canadians tell me I'm off base, it'll carry some weight for me. Forgive me if I'm unimpressed by "slow down, fella" messages from US residents on this particular matter.
So a Canadian member is upset that an AMERICAN airlines focuses on AMERICAN passengers? There's always Air Canada.

That'd be like an American member upset that an overseas airline tailored their program for local participants, or had significant additional surcharges that foreign members had to endure to participate in their program. Oh, wait...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.