Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2011 xxx Flight Cancellation / Delay / Diversion on (date) (consolidated - obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 xxx Flight Cancellation / Delay / Diversion on (date) (consolidated - obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by I_Sue_Debt_Collectors
As far as canceling b/c of a light load, I understand the ripple effect, but one has to wonder when you can fit all the passengers from both flight onto one and still have a lot of empty seats.
You are forgetting that both of those planes (the one you originally scheduled and the one you eventually took) were headed somewhere else after these flights - and often not to the same place. And then from there to someplace different still. That's what is meant by the ripple effect. 30 years ago, when this urban legend sprouted, it was much more common for a particular aircraft to be dedicated to going back and forth on the same route all day. Now, not so much.

Even if both planes were returning to DFW, they would both have to have a lot of empty seats on the return for your supposition to have legs.

I don't disagree with that decision, but is it any different then AA asking me to take a later flight because they wanted to make more $$ and overbooked a fight. In this case they are asking (or forcing) me to take a later flight so other people can get to their destination on time and all because they failed to maintain their equipment.
Yes, it is different, a lot different.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
is it any different then AA asking me to take a later flight because they wanted to make more $$ and overbooked a fight.
It's completely different. A flight was canceled because an airplane was mechanically unable to fly. Doesn't matter how well your maintenance is, you will have unpredictable maintenance problems.

Once the airline knows that it must cancel a flight, they will arrange their available resources to minimize the impact on the schedule and the affected passengers. What else would you expect them to do?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA LFT. PLAT
Today 1/9/11
73 an 8

73 went through LAX
8 is waiting for flight 73 and is schedule to go through LAX

I just thought it was odd
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:11 am

Programs: AA PLAT
Jan 10, 2011
AA54 ORD-MAN
Scheduled
6:05 pm departure
7:45 am arrival
Actual
7:50 pm departure
9:30 am arrival

The plane had arrived late from NY, but then they found a mechanical problem and the pilot wanted a different plane so we ended up with an ORD plane that was meant to go to LAX. The delay wasn't too bad, but the plane was a domestic 757 and not the usual international 757. I feel bad for the first class passengers who were expecting lie flat beds and ended up with biz seats instead. I was in Y and those seats are not meant for 7+ hour flights. Very uncomfortable!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Will i fly?

SEA TO PARIS (CDG) Jan 13th.

I noticed the AA268 SEA to JFK today 1/12 was cancelled and thru Flightaware looks like CDG to JFK #45 arriving late today so not sure what Jan 13th will bring. Thanks for any insight.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Are you on the do-not-fly list?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
call aa see if they can route you thru ORD/DFW etc...they are allowing changes in and out of JFK flights..
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by galaticos
call aa see if they can route you thru ORD/DFW etc...they are allowing changes in and out of JFK flights..
There's certainly no weather-related reason to switch. The fact that SEA-JFK was cancelled and CDG-JFK is operating late today is irrelevant to the OP's flights tomorrow. However, AA will allow the change, and the SEA-ORD and ORD-CDG flights are not nearly as full as the SEA-JFK and JFK-CDG flights, so that might be a reason to make the change (i.e., potentially more room to stretch out). That said, the ORD connection does result in a long layover and a 2-hour later arrival into CDG.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
January 12,2011

AA98 ORD-LHR was cancelled tonight, rebooked on AA90 tomorrow. Plenty peeved.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Did they provide a reason the flight wasn't going out?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Did they provide a reason the flight wasn't going out?

Looks like "aircraft damage" while the aircraft was at ORD:

‡DTE CHNG FLT‡ ORIG 12JAN
ORD 1020P T3 L8
LHR ‡ 1200N
1FX CANCEL ORD -LHR -RMKS ACCT A/C DAMAGE N7BR ORD *1930
7ORD/AUTO REACCOM SEE N*0098JAN12ORD P3 *1939*CRCYMG
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Thank you ESPEN. Definitely explains why I'm sitting at my ORD hotel right now wide awake and unable to sleep lol...
What software do you use to find out the reason for the delay? Good for future reference.

As usual espen, your help is always appreciated =)
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
!

Originally Posted by demkr
January 12,2011

AA98 ORD-LHR was cancelled tonight, rebooked on AA90 tomorrow. Plenty peeved.
So the NY storm was good for something! I was booked on AA98 tonight but re-routed because my JFK-ORD was cancelled and am now hoping 116 gets out from JFK-LHR (currently 50 mins delay!).
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:39 pm

I was originally supposed to be on 116. Sorry about the delay, hopefully you get there in time. I should not have switched flights. But I'm sure hoping for compensation. $10 food voucher was pitiful.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:55 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demkr
Thank you ESPEN. Definitely explains why I'm sitting at my ORD hotel right now wide awake and unable to sleep lol...
What software do you use to find out the reason for the delay? Good for future reference.

As usual espen, your help is always appreciated =)
Flight status searches on www.expertflyer.com return the comments. So does KVS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.